PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Eagle RS Dot

Charlie Broring
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I need a new set of tires if I'm going to run my ITB Volvo any more this season. I've been runnig Hoosier R6 which seem to use up the rubber before the grip goes away and have been working out pretty well. However the Goodyear dealer was telling me how great their new tires are. So... Is any body using the new Goodyear's?

Has anyone done testing against the R6's?

Lastly, Ive been using the 225-45-15 R6 on 6 inch ITB rims. They sure are a struggle to mount and the inside 1/2 inch of tread shows almost no wear from tread distortion arising from these narrow rims. I'm thinking of trying the 205-50-15 for a better fit on the 6 inch rims. Has anyone tried the goodyears on 6 inch rims and care to comment on size selection.

Thanks

Charlie

dave parker
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Charlie
Pam Richardson knows some things about this tire. You may want to chat with her about it.

cheers
dave parker

Andy Bettencourt
06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Charlie,

I use them and love them. You will find the 205/50/15 GY is almost as wide as the 225 Hooiser. My experience is that they take an extra half lap to come to temp but are more stable over a race and less resistant to flatspotting.

I think they are at LEAST as good at the R6.

Not 6" info because I use the 7s but some info at least.

Charlie Broring
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Charlie,

I use them and love them. You will find the 205/50/15 GY is almost as wide as the 225 Hooiser. My experience is that they take an extra half lap to come to temp but are more stable over a race and less resistant to flatspotting.

The old Goodyear GSCS took a bit longer to come in too but really worked well on my heavy Volvo. How do they hold up? Durability is a big factor on this years budget and I remember the GSCS would heat cycle out much sooner then the current R6.

Thanks Dave, I'll check with Pam.

spawpoet
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Charlie,

How many competitive heat cycles have you seen out of them? We just tried a set, and they were great through the first 8-9 cycles, but seemed to have tailed off precipitously at this point.

Andy Bettencourt
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I only use them for 6-8.

Charlie Broring
06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Andy

erlrich
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Resurrecting this one since it seems to be the most recent: I'm going to be trying a set of the Goodyears this weekend, partly because I've heard good things from a few different people, partly because nobody is bringing Hoosiers to the track :D. My question is, I've heard that the GYs like a lower hot pressure than the Hoosiers & Hankooks - are you guys who run them finding this to be true? If so, what kinds of hot pressures are you looking for?

Thanks.

Cobrar05
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
earl,

i am using them on my mustang. my experience has been that they dont build up pressure as fast as the toyo or the bfg's that i have been using. i have only one weekend on them, but it was in 100 degree heat at VIR.

for me the main difference has been that the goodyear likes a lot less negative camber. nearly a full degree less.

monsterbronco
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
I also just picked up a set for RS's. I would be interested to hear the comments on pressures as well!

Andy Bettencourt
10-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I like them at 35 hot.

Charlie Broring
10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I thought the compound was a bit harder then the R6's. They wore like iron and had absolutely no fall off of grip at the end of the race. But, not sure they were as sticky. Pressures were close to 40# hot. This was at the MARRS Labor Day race in a RWD Volvo.

I'll try lower pressure this weekend.

Andy, have you tried the softer compound (autocross) on a road course?

Andy Bettencourt
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I thought the compound was a bit harder then the R6's. They wore like iron and had absolutely no fall off of grip at the end of the race. But, not sure they were as sticky. Pressures were close to 40# hot. This was at the MARRS Labor Day race in a RWD Volvo.

I'll try lower pressure this weekend.

Andy, have you tried the softer compound (autocross) on a road course?

Just A6's. I am sure that the GY is as grippy as the R6.

gpeluso
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
so,they measure big compared to Hoosiers.......they must look like monsters next to hankooks. Just so I understand a 225 Hoosier is LARGER than a 225 Hankook and a Goodyear is LARGER than a Hoosier. What is the price comparision?

Greg

erlrich
10-06-2011, 10:21 PM
so,they measure big compared to Hoosiers.......they must look like monsters next to hankooks. Just so I understand a 225 Hoosier is LARGER than a 225 Hankook and a Goodyear is LARGER than a Hoosier. What is the price comparision?

Greg

Hooosier - $228
Goodyear - $225
Hankook - $170-$200 (depending who you get them from)

Charlie Broring
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
They do measure big. I used 205/50 GY's instead of the 225/45 Hoosiers that I had been buying. The 205's are cheaper too.

Charlie Broring
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I raced on the Goodyear's again at this past weekends MARRS race and ran some of the fasted ITB times that I have ever run. I guess they are sticky after all. Fastest lap was on the 7th heat cycle, so they are proving to be durable too.

Slightly lower pressure seemed to work, but I may have gone too low with my starting pressure on one occasion. It would be nice to hear more observations about hot tire pressures

zchris
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM
The only caution I would put out there about the goodyear is that it soaks up alot of HP because it is such a grippy tire. When it first came back on the market 4 or 5 years ago, we were running the 13 hr at VIR. They had an open tire rule for SM so we thought great, will run it. We buy 3 sets. We get there and all three drivers were 3 seconds slower a lap. According to the data it was not corner speed. We had been there the 3 previous years. Something must be wrong with the car we think. We figure, what the heck, lets see how we do on the RA1's. We pick up those 3 seconds. All in straightaway speed. The data doesn't lie. The car had 0 toe. It cornered fantastic. Just didn't have the power in a straight line. So for an under developed car, I'd say do not use then. For a front row car, go for it.
Chris