PDA

View Full Version : 85 jetta running rich

jetta87
06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
so i finally got my car running as some of you know. i pulled the plugs and all of them are charcoal black. timing is good. what could the prob be? i replaced the intank pump also and the main pump is good. also have a spare dpr and a spare fuel reg layin around. but ran it on sunday pulled plugs again after fidling with it and saw fuel sitting on top of the piston. leaky injectors? all of them are this way. any help would be great. i am getting very disapointed at this car and wanting to give up on it

jetta87
06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
please i would really like any input on this problem

Lael Cleland
06-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Injector is very plausible! Is it hard to start hot? Are you on FB with same issue?

Vac hose to knock box?

Campbell
06-14-2011, 03:05 PM
You are making progress. Running rich is a better issue to have than running lean..

I would suggest you pull all your injectors, release your fuel distributor from the bottom box and set it so you can reach under it. Start the fuel pump, hold your injectors over a bucket and push up on the air plate in your fuel distributor. Watch the injectors and see if they open at the same time and have an okay spray.

You will need to adjust the 3mm screw in your fuel distributor to smooth our your idle (however not bad to run a little rich while you work through start up issues).

If the injectors are leaking gas when you turn the fuel pump on you need to back the 3mm screw down - turn counter clockwise. A good starting point for the adjustment is to turn the screw clockwise until the injectors start to spray, then turn 1/2 a turn back. You may have to lean it out a bit more depending on how it runs when you start it up.

If you are using your computer, be sure the oxy sensor is good - a bad reading may cause the computer to run your system rich. I know with CIS Lambda you can disengage the oxy sensor and the computer defaults to a limp home mode which is a middle richness.. not sure what CIS-E does.

It sounds like you are very close. The last few tweaks will get you there. Good luck

Flyinglizard
06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Do a balance test. Typical injector volume is 23cc per 10 sec. I use 200mm syringes,pluged off. Point the squirters into the tubes, pull the door open. All should be within 1cc.
Verify 38-50# of fuelpressure for 10 min min, post run. This will show a leaky injector, bad check valve, too rich static setting, etc.
If you can hear the whinning of the injectors, before you start the car, the static setting is way too rich, (per Campell) Back it down to just off drip. Many of these old cars will have a leaky injector at idle or off.
MM

jetta87
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
thanks guys for all the help. yes i am on fb with the same issue. that is me. and i have pulled injectors as that is all further i got. preping yard for 8x10x12 shed for car stuff and what not.but the injectors are goin to a friend shop to get tested. i am kinda think it is injectors with you since the car sat for a long time not running. maybe they got stuck who knows. needed that bosster. ill be back soon with an update

jetta87
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
car is not really hard to start hot. dotn want to run tomuch with it this way as the oil can get fuel soak and ruin the bearings and everthing

Lael Cleland
06-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I have re-sealed them before, it takes 40-50psi, NO MORE or the valve/pintle will bend!you put air to them and the pintle will bounce, if there is a chunk of goo on the seat, it will be blown out. 1 in 3 wont seal again.... But I have found a non air shrouded inj for 20 bucks ea & plastic inj bungs that allow you to use them in an air shrouded head...