PDA

View Full Version : Custom vw race parts question

Lael Cleland
06-10-2011, 05:41 PM
OK, Hypothetically speaking, If a friend & I were to start a small biz building Camber plates, spherical bearing C-arms for mk1-mk3, Stay bars, 25+mm wheel spacers, Wheel bearing presses, and some other racey parts & tools

Would you buy from us?

I have been a vw tech for 20 years, racer of mk1 vws for 14 years, Builder of race cars(MK1-MK2), I am a die hard VW guy! I tow my rabbit to the track with a Euro Van & drive an A4 w/1.8T....

Although our manufacturing wont be limited to vw, that's where my heart is.. Honda/Mazda/BMW/ stuff may pay some bills also...

I feel the ball has been dropped by other sellers of vw race parts... Most of the parts & tools I have made already & put threw the ringer, but I don't have to full tilt tools to build them in volume... My friend has them...

Thanks
Lael

shwah
06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe. But I tend to make a bunch of that stuff myself, or 'within my network'. If I were in a position to have to buy, I would lean towards a racer run shop like you describe.

Ralf
06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
If the product is well designed and reasonably priced, then yes. Lets see some samples.

Lael Cleland
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks Chris! The other party involved is also a racer.. Making your own is always more fun & rewarding than buying..
Give it time Ralf, you have seen my car 100% of the stuff is on it already... Dont dish out too much about fuel issues.. :( I have that handled now... I Hope!

The camber plates should be around $200-$250 with flat spring tops & Gob's of caster.. Many different options.. Non dirt track spring tops will be available separately

The bearing style C-arms, should be $250-$300 pr for the MK1 $200-$250 for MK2, with new Fibi/Bilstine HD arms..

On the car wheel bearing press $80-$120, specific for each model..

Wheel spacers are wheel spacers, they would be like H&R's, hub centric, most likely only make 22mm and thicker..(same for front or rear) Market is flooded with 5-20mm.. Priced competitively..

The MK1 "stay bar" is a design I have been working on since I started taking vw's to the track.. Only limitation is that it bolts to the 3 threaded bosses that a MK2-3 heat shield attaches to... But it keeps the engine from rocking.. It will clear all lower tie bars I have seen.. Should be in the $50-$100 range..MK2-3 still in the works..

Toe gauge, Might just put instructions on the web sight so you can make your own with a rivet gun & a BIG ruler from Menard's/Lows...

We are still debating on weather to have retail stuff like Hawk, Longacre, FAG, Fibi/Bilstine. One thing is for sure, we will not sell Meyle unless its an air filter..

Thanks Guys!
Lael