PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

Ron Earp
06-05-2011, 07:02 PM
The ITS Mustang is extremely weight challenged. I'm going to do my best to knock weight off if it wherever I can, thus some lightweight wheels are needed. And yes, I read the GRM/Sportscar article where light weight wheels weren't any better on the track or dyno than wheels that weighed 5 lbs more. But I'm still gonna do it.

So what's hot in lightweight wheel world? I checked over at Enkei:

http://www.enkei.com/racing.html

But 15" wheels on a 4.5" x 5 pattern (that's 114.3mm to you ricer boy) are not that common there. And any wheel for a Mustang that has the word "race" anywhere near the description inevitably is for drag racing.

JeffYoung
06-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Scroll down to the Volk TE37. This is in your bolt pattern. You will not like the price. 9 lbs.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3D6424_6898_6900&size_form2=true&filter_diameter=15&filter_width=7&filter_pattern=4x114.3&filter_offset=&filter_color=&filter_style=&filter_type=

Greg Amy
06-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Also note that (rules paraphrased) "wheels are free" and "wheel spacers are permitted", with no further design restrictions placed on the latter. Ergo, I'm of the opinion that wheel spacers that incorporate bolt pattern changes to a more-common format are also allowed.

This position has been discussed on this forum before and not all involved agree with it. However, "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"*

And - JC! - if the philosophy of Improved Touring allows spherical bearings where "bushing material" is free, I simply can't see how anyone has an issue with that. Seriously...

GA

* The "Roffe Corollary"

JeffYoung
06-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Same belief here, and I run them and make no bones about why I do and that I think they are 100% legal.

Ron believes they put undue stress on the bearing and spindle; I tend to think if you keep the wheel centerline in essentially the same place via an offset any additional stress on the assembly should be minimal.

Thoughts?

Also note that (rules paraphrased) "wheels are free" and "wheel spacers are permitted", with no further design restrictions placed on the latter. Ergo, I'm of the opinion that wheel spacers that incorporate bolt pattern changes to a more-common format are also allowed.

This position has been discussed on this forum before and not all involved agree with it. However, "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"*

And - JC! - if the philosophy of Improved Touring allows spherical bearings where "bushing material" is free, I simply can't see how anyone has an issue with that. Seriously...

GA

* The "Roffe Corollary"

Ron Earp
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I like the TE37 look but don't want bronze and that price is high. Probably too high for me. Spinwerks at 11 lbs but less than half the price is an option. Not all that keen on its look though.

http://www.mazdatrix.com/pictures/spinwreks/spinwerks2.jpg

I think it'll be possible to find some 5 on 4.5" that are "light enough" and affordable.

Greg Amy
06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Thoughts?
Running spacers places no undue stress compared to running comparable offset wheels. It's all about the leverage...

mbuskuhl
06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-race/Pro-race12.htm - many of the Miata guys run them and so does my RX-7 which has the same bolt pattern as you. They make a 15x7 5x114.3 and available in +15 to +40. They don't advertise +15 but they made them for me, I paid around $150 per wheel. Made in England and you have to order through a dealer, patience pays off as I waited 2 months. About 13lbs or so. Best value for this bolt pattern. Find a dealer you like or call their US phone and inquire http://www.yellowpages.com/ontario-ca/mip/team-dynamics-13438212

Knestis
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I think those stock car wheels would look kick-ass on the Mustang!

K

DoubleXL240Z
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Have you looked at Real wheels? Flat adaptors, with a wide five wheel. Ultra light and very cheap! realwheel.net
I found an aluminum 15x14 wide five wheel that weighed 10.75 lbs!

shwah
06-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Compomotive also offers custom configured wheels that are reasonably light weight, for less than typical multi-piece custom race wheels.

Not quite sure how the looks component has an impact on your lap times...

Marcus Miller
06-05-2011, 09:37 PM
We can't have them 'ole domestic jalopies' ruining the look of the class... I'm sure that's Ron's concern :p:026:

Marcus

Eagle7
06-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Are Kosei K1 still available? As mentioned previously your bolt pattern is the same as the RX-7 - actually stock Mustang wheels are a porky economy choice for RX-7s.

JeffYoung
06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
K1s arent' really that light though are they?

Weight on this car is crtical. 3-4 lbs a wheel would be worth the money to save it, especially unsprung.

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Ron believes they put undue stress on the bearing and spindle; I tend to think if you keep the wheel centerline in essentially the same place via an offset any additional stress on the assembly should be minimal.

Thoughts?

Ron is under the impression the wheel centerline wasn't in the original location, that the 1" thick spacers a) adapted to a new bolt pattern and b) increased the track width. If (b) isn't the case then the small amount of mass added won't amount to any stress problems.

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-race/Pro-race12.htm - many of the Miata guys run them and so does my RX-7 which has the same bolt pattern as you. About 13lbs or so. Best value for this bolt pattern. Find a dealer you like or call their US phone and inquire

13 lbs is heavier than the Spinwerks pieces at 11 lbs. In fact, the old cheap Koneig wheels I ran on my Z were 13 lbs each and were $450 for four. Heck of a deal.

I think those stock car wheels would look kick-ass on the Mustang!

I'm tending to agree. At first I immediately didn't like them but I could see using them and it turning out well.

Have you looked at Real wheels? Flat adaptors, with a wide five wheel. Ultra light and very cheap! realwheel.net

Those sound pretty good. I'll give those folks a call and see what they have to offer. Never heard of them but thanks for the suggestion.

Compomotive also offers custom configured wheels that are reasonably light weight, for less than typical multi-piece custom race wheels.

Not quite sure how the looks component has an impact on your lap times...

Man, your car has to look good. Otherwise as Marcus says the domestic iron will be spoiling the look of the class.

Are Kosei K1 still available? As mentioned previously your bolt pattern is the same as the RX-7 - actually stock Mustang wheels are a porky economy choice for RX-7s.

Still available.

K1s arent' really that light though are they?

Weight on this car is crtical. 3-4 lbs a wheel would be worth the money to save it, especially unsprung.

According to this chart you're correct, not that light:

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

K1s coming in at 13.5 lbs. While light wheels upfront are a good thing I don't think it'll make any difference at all to the rear with that solid axle. Four more pounds back there, with all the other hardware being added to make it handle well, won't be felt.

The stock Mustang V6 wheels are good candidates for rain wheels so I'll keep those around. But I'll need to invest some coin into eight to twelve race wheels for dry tires. Wheel could easily be the single most expensive component of this ITS Rustang.

I haven't noticed it before but 15" wheel choices are definitely not all that abundant. 17" wheels are far more common.

benspeed
06-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. This weekend at NJMP I noticed some scratches. On further looking they were cracks in the spokes. Dismounted all wheels and all had stress cracks with some cracked all the way through the spoke.

I'm contacting Kodiak today. These guys also are the new owners of Fikse wheels. Hope they stand behind their product. These wheels have maybe 20 weekends on them tops. $600 per wheel!

JeffYoung
06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I run a pretty significant offset (I think it was 37 mm) -- a big change from stock -- with the spacers.

My guess is there is no noticeable difference in track, or if there is it is minimal.

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. $600 per wheel!

That is serious coin. I hope you can get some relief from them on the wheels but I suspect not. Most of these outfits indicate racing use is completely uncovered for repairs.

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.

I'm going to suck it up and get light forged wheels. What are Prorace 2s? All your wheels look the same to me, just different shades of color.

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM

I called RealWheels this morning and the guy there quoted me $364 per wheel, 15x7, and each wheel was to weigh 13.84 lbs. I must be doing something wrong.

CRallo
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I called RealWheels this morning and the guy there quoted me $364 per wheel, 15x7, and each wheel was to weigh 13.84 lbs. I must be doing something wrong.

he must have meant a 15x4 rim, not 15x14... or it was back wen the dinos roamed the earth and a gallon of gas was $.05 :p

jrx13
06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't believe they make Kosei anymore in a 15x7 5 lug pattern. They still make them four lug for all the Miata drivers.

I went with Team Dynamics as well. I didn't wait, so got them in a +35 offset. Got them from Good-Win Motorsports.

DoubleXL240Z
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I just spoke to TROY at Real Wheel:
15x7 aluminum wide five wheel is 7.0 lbs (thats seven) at 169.93 a piece
and adaptors to go from 5x4.5 to wide five are 132. each!!
Also figure approximately 3 1/2 weeks lead time!!
Also Chris Rallo look at Douglas wheels in Jegs catalog 15x14 is 10.75 lbs!!!

CRallo
06-06-2011, 01:47 PM

I know, I know! I guess I FAILed to be funny... :( apparently the OP talked to the wrong person at Real Wheel, or something was lost in translation...

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM

That is a deal. Calling Troy now.

What do these wheels look like?

R

Marcus Miller
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
The big difference is the wide five portion of hte message was lost in translation... :)

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Just talked to Troy too. Yes, the wide five is 7.0 pounds but it must be used with the wide five adapter that weighs 5.0 pounds for a total wheel weight of 12 lbs. The advantage to these wheels is if you bend them the wheel is fairly cheap to replace at $169.93 as you are not paying for a center.

Wide five wheel:

http://www.realwheel.net/manage/uploaded//Cat11-r110_r112_non_bead_lock.jpg

Wide five adapter:

http://www.realwheel.net/imageViewer.php?id=156

DoubleXL240Z
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
12 lbs is pretty light for $236 corner:shrug: thats figuring 8 wheels initially!
replacement at $169 each
Chris,Its all good! I didn't think that was right either!!
I knew they were light, but not THAT light!!

DavidM
06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 and a set of Volk TE-37s in 15x7. The Volks are 11 lbs and the TDs are 13 lbs. I just got a couple more Volks a few months ago because one of mine cracked. I paid more for two Volks than I did for all 4 TD wheels. I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't already have 3 of them. You can get the Volks in white and I'm in the process of painting all of mine black.

TD can pretty much make any offset/bolt pattern you want. I had mine made in a particular offset. It'll just take a couple months to get them. A set of 4 TD wheels will run you $600. Just call them direct.

David

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
12 lbs is pretty light for $236 corner:shrug: thats figuring 8 wheels initially!

Not $236 a corner though.

$169 per wheel, $132 per adapter, for $301 per corner.

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Ok, Spinwerkes info. The number, which was damn hard to get ahold of, is 562-467-1522. Talked to Peggy and she provided a racer discount with quantity purchase of eight to twelve wheels, $208 each, 1-5" in back spacing in 0.25" increments. The wheel would be 11.2 lbs which is quite good considering price/weight.

Chip42
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Not $236 a corner though.

$169 per wheel, $132 per adapter, for $301 per corner.

he means 8 wheels + 4 adapters for a total cost of $235/wheel equivalent at the stated minimum order of 2 sets.

IMHO these will look really odd, but they might be a good long term solution. check to make sure apalachin tire or whomever you use can balance them though.

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 03:54 PM
he means 8 wheels + 4 adapters for a total cost of $235/wheel equivalent at the stated minimum order of 2 sets.

My bad, true.

DoubleXL240Z
06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
IMHO these will look really odd, but they might be a good long term solution. check to make sure apalachin tire or whomever you use can balance them though.
Same kind of wheels many GT1, GTA, SPO etc use!!
Chip, Bill R's Buick and Falcon use these!

Ron Earp
06-06-2011, 06:00 PM

I don't think I'd use the Real Wheels. I do look odd. And the Spin Werkes wheels are lighter and cheaper, plus, I've used the Spin Werkes product on the Z for three years with no problems.

Volks TE37 or Spin Werkes are the front runners thus far at 9.2 lbs and 11.2 lbs respectively.

DavidM
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM
A 15x7 TE37 is not 9.2 lbs. It is 11-11.5lbs. My scale says 11.5, but it's probably a touch off.

David - who has two TE37 rims sitting in the hall that he just painted

Chip42
06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Same kind of wheels many GT1, GTA, SPO etc use!!
Chip, Bill R's Buick and Falcon use these!

yeah wide 5 is common in big 'merican stuff, but I've never checked the wheel diameter or balancing capability of them becaus eI play with knives, not hammers. I know if you took that wheel to a standard tire place for a balance you'd be SOL. I'm betting race tire guys have some sort of adapter they use on the spin balancers.

moot point - he wants "normal" wheels

Ron Earp
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
A 15x7 TE37 is not 9.2 lbs. It is 11-11.5lbs. My scale says 11.5, but it's probably a touch off.

David - who has two TE37 rims sitting in the hall that he just painted

Now that is damned interesting. I too have always been skeptical of published wheel weights and I have weighed my own wheels on my own scales. I know the Koneig Rewind 15x7 weighs ~13.4 lbs and the Spin Werkes 15x7 weighs ~11.25 lbs. Both of these wheels I used on my Z.

Sounds like Volks might need need to adjust their weights. Jeff has Volks wheels but I've never weighed one of his and besides, they are not TE37s.

EDIT
After calling around to a few Volks distributors I found a guy who actually had wheels in stock and could check out weights and prices. According to Shawn at Vivid Racing (866-448-4843):

*The TE37 in a 5 x 4.25" (Mustang) is 11.25 lbs but is limited in availability for a five lug, might not be available anymore unless he can find old stock. $532 each, have four on hand.

*RE30 is the lightest Volk wheel made at 9.81 lbs, so it makes the "9 lb" wheel mark, but just barely. However, it isn't available in a Mustang pattern and would need a wheel adapter that has five studs, plus the five additional lugs to secure the adapter to the hub. All that weighs at least 1.5 lbs so that negates the slight weight advantage these have. $550 each.

*CE28N is in 5 x 4.25" and is 10.58 lbs. $550 each. Would be the best choice for Volk because the pattern is native and the wheel is light.

All of these Volk wheels are lead times of two to three months quoted. I think Jeff's actually took longer than that but I'm not sure.

For my money it is looking like the Spin Werkes at 11.2 lbs for $208 each is the deal.

seckerich
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds right on the weight of the Volk Ron. Mine are 5 on 114.3 (4.5) and weigh 11.3. I understand they are like unicorns now and you will wait forever and not get them.

JeffYoung
06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I just came back from the trailer -- I have the RE30. We weighed them Ron. I think high 9s is right, and the Pro Race2 were 13 or something.

"Volk" is actually something called "Ray's Engineering." I first tried to order them from some outfit in Florida, sent a deposit and never got the wheels. Probably very lucky to get the deposit back.

Worked through Vivid Racing and they are great folks. Got them in a few months I think, but it did take a while.

Sounds right on the weight of the Volk Ron. Mine are 5 on 114.3 (4.5) and weigh 11.3. I understand they are like unicorns now and you will wait forever and not get them.

Ron Earp
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
The RE30s are nice wheels but aren't "9.0 lbs" as advertised on a number of websites. 9.8 lbs according to Vivid, and 9.8 lbs is closer to 10 lbs than 9 lbs. For the Mustang they require an adapter that will weigh over 1.5 lbs putting the wheel package on par or slightly heavier than the TE37s or the Spin Werkes.

It is looking like for a 15x7" useable wheel on a Mustang about 11.2 lbs is it, so Spin Werkes wins out on the weight and has the lowest price. I've used Spin Werkes before and their customer service is good and the wheels have been durable. I think if you're running something in the 11-13 lbs range you're in the right ballpark.

Shopping wheels takes a lot of time. I first tried to learn about the Volk wheels via that Ray's joint and got nowhere. Finally got ahold of Vivid via a website recommendation and they were very helpful, but they admitted on the phone that their delivery times are sort of rough estimates. And Spin Werkes - good luck finding their website and contact information. Peggy there is extremely helpful but finding them took a lot of time. Use the contact number I posted below if you want some of their wheels. They do any offset in 1/4" increments and any bolt pattern, all wheels are made on site in CA.

quadzjr
06-07-2011, 08:51 PM
get steel wheels paint them themed to the car.. paint letters on hoosiers white (old paint scheme when hoosier was in Nascar), or Yellow like current Goodyears..

call it a day.

chuck baader
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
www.keizerwheels.com/ Very light and very accommodating. Chuck

Ron Earp
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
www.keizerwheels (http://www.%3Cb%3Ekeizerwheels%3C/b%3E).com/ Very light and very accommodating. Chuck

Thanks for that link. I called and talked to Wade, they seem like good folks and are located in Iowa. For 15x7s they do three piece wheels and they range in weight from 9.75 lbs to 11.5 lbs, typically most around 10.5-11.0lbs. Made in the USA, not inexpensive though, at $446 per wheel if you were to buy twelve wheels. $525 each for a set of four. Any backspacing and wheel bolt pattern can be had, backspacing in 1/4" increments. Quick availability, 1-2 weeks. Easily repaired and easily available.

DavidM
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I forget who I ordered my TE37s through, but they had very good customer service. I can look it up if anyone cares. It will take 2-3 months to get them as they get made in Japan and then come over on a boat.

David

Duc
06-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Your prices seem to keep growing!

Motegi's for 210 on a 15x6.5 5x114.3 stupid light.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/motegi-wheels/mr238-traklite-1.0-matte-black (http://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-wheels-online/motegi-wheels/mr238-traklite-1.0-matte-black)

Might be smaller than you want width wise, but for the price

Talk with Joey, and tell him Derek sent you. They did me well.

Ron Earp
06-09-2011, 08:15 AM
How light is stupid light? If I've learned anything on the wheel research it is that the actual weight is often not the advertised weight. 6.5" is a bit of an odd duck but I'll give them a call and report back.

Spin Werkes 15x7 at 11.2 lbs for $208 each is looking to be unbeatable.

Ron Earp
06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Duc thanks, Joey is a nice fellow and very helpful. He says the 15x6.5" is discontinued but Joey said thanks for the recommendation.

Duc
06-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Duc thanks, Joey is a nice fellow and very helpful. He says the 15x6.5" is discontinued but Joey said thanks for the recommendation.

Super light, well the package of two 15x7 5x100 was stamped at 25 lbs. They are reported to be 10.8lbs for that size. I will put them on a scale tomorrow.

Sorry they are gone. Would have been a good wheel.

D

MIKEL
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Ron we went through this same thing last year for our 240z you will have to watch the weights for the diff offsets I ended up with both TE37s and Spinworks, The volks are advertised at 10 but that is for the high offsets +35 not the 0 offsets ours come in at 11.8 vs 10.7 for the diff offsets also same for the spinworks advertised at 11.8 vs actual of 12.7 its all in the offsets.
Also if you are looking for a good deal for the spinworks contact Jessie Prather (dealer)over on the Production car page he was offering to match prices and include shipping, The price he quoted were last year but included shipping so they will have gone up (dont forget to figure shipping in the price). That said the info I have is that the old spinworks were lighter by about a lb ea vs the new ones if you find a used set in your pattern/offset.
Not sure but dont some of the BMWs use the same size? If so you may find some used wheels on the other pages??

Z3_GoCar
06-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Ron we went through this same thing last year for our 240z you will have to watch the weights for the diff offsets I ended up with both TE37s and Spinworks, The volks are advertised at 10 but that is for the high offsets +35 not the 0 offsets ours come in at 11.8 vs 10.7 for the diff offsets also same for the spinworks advertised at 11.8 vs actual of 12.7 its all in the offsets.
Also if you are looking for a good deal for the spinworks contact Jessie Prather (dealer)over on the Production car page he was offering to match prices and include shipping, The price he quoted were last year but included shipping so they will have gone up (dont forget to figure shipping in the price). That said the info I have is that the old spinworks were lighter by about a lb ea vs the new ones if you find a used set in your pattern/offset.
Not sure but dont some of the BMWs use the same size? If so you may find some used wheels on the other pages??

Nah, the Bimmer pattern is 5 on a 120mm bolt circle.

Duc
06-10-2011, 01:22 PM
The Motegi are the splitting hairs, they have a 4.9KG stamp on them, but actually came in at 4.98 KG on the postal scale (not the best). 4.98 KG is 10.97 LBS

Compared to the 17.0 lbs rims I am currently running, I am going to have a hard time believing that I will not feel the difference of a 24lbs loss of weight in a car that is below 2900 (without driver), let alone un-sprung weight.

Maybe I need to ping Per for a redo at Daytona? Come up with exact same tires and go at it.

D

Ron Earp
06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Tire Rack has a 9.X lbs 15x7 wheel advertised in the front cover of the current Sportscar. I'll check that one out as well as the other company Jeff mentioned and report back.

Ron Earp
06-14-2011, 10:32 AM
A bit more information:

Team Dynamics has 15x7s but they are on the heavy side, at 13.3 lbs in the lightest offset. They can do a native five on 4.5" pattern. Pro Race 1.2 is the wheel that is 15x7 in that pattern. I don't have the price yet.

There was an interesting technical description on their site that describes spin forging, the process they and Spin Werkes use to make their wheels.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-forged/forging-process.htm

The Tirerack 15x7 at 9.5 lbs turned out to be a Enkei RPF1 with a four on 100mm that would also require and adapter to mount on a Mustang, bringing total weight to about 12 lbs. Guys was really helpful though and searched through many wheels for me looking for something under 12 lbs.

JeffYoung
06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I have the ProRace2s -- they are the gold wheels I run the 275s and the rains on.

I think they were $200/each for me.

A bit more information:

Team Dynamics has 15x7s but they are on the heavy side, at 13.3 lbs in the lightest offset. They can do a native five on 4.5" pattern. Pro Race 1.2 is the wheel that is 15x7 in that pattern. I don't have the price yet.

There was an interesting technical description on their site that describes spin forging, the process they and Spin Werkes use to make their wheels.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-forged/forging-process.htm

The Tirerack 15x7 at 9.5 lbs turned out to be a Enkei RPF1 with a four on 100mm that would also require and adapter to mount on a Mustang, bringing total weight to about 12 lbs. Guys was really helpful though and searched through many wheels for me looking for something under 12 lbs.

DavidM
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I paid $150 a piece shipped for my 15x7 ProRace 1.2 wheels a couple years ago. I contacted Team Dynamics directly and ordered directly from them.

David

benspeed
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I will now endorse the Kodiak wheels. They are standing behind their product and replacing all the cracked centers for the rims and strengthen them. No charge. These are 16-8.5 made for itr and weigh fifteen pounds. Price is now $530 per wheel! Down a few bucks.

You're so lucky to have more choices than Porsche

rsportvolvo
06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Has anyone looked into wheel stiffness? I had a copy of a Pratt & Miller report from years back where they tested wheel deflection and it was suprising how much some of the wheels moved under load. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Alloy wheels are generally stiffer than steel wheels, even though many steel wheels can be lighter. The benefit is the stiffness of the wheel, both axially and radially. I'd steer clear of steel wheels, even though NASCAR uses them.

Ron Earp
06-19-2011, 08:11 AM
To summarize what I learned in looking for 15x7s with a five on 4.5” (114.3mm) pattern:

Enkei doesn’t make the light race wheel in the five on 4.5” pattern and requires 2 lb adapters.

Team Dynamics’s lightest wheel, Prorace 1.2/2 is at 13.x lbs and is in the native lug pattern. About $200 a wheel.

Real Wheels has a 12.x lb wheel but it must have the wide five adapter to run on the hub (included in the weight). $236 each. Possible but a bit weird.

Kosei doesn’t make the 5 on 4.5” pattern any longer. The wheel would require a 2 lb adapter driving the weight up over 13 lbs.

Volks’ lightest wheel is at 9.8 lbs but requires a 2 lb adapter pushing weight to almost 13 lbs. >$500 per wheel. Volks has a CE28N in the five on 4.5” pattern at 10.6 lbs for $550 per wheel. Possible but really spendy.

Spin Werkes has a native five on 4.5” pattern at 11.2 lbs, $208 per wheel in eight to twelve are bought.

Keizer Wheels, native pattern, around 11 lbs. $525 each.

Motegi doesn’t offer the five on 4.5” any longer.

Matt93SE
06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Do you have to run a 15"? 16x7 are a lot easier to find, but maybe not in 0 offset..

rsportvolvo
06-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Did you check out:
Jongbloed - http://www.jongbloedracing.com/
Compomotive - http://www.comp.co.uk
ATS - http://www.ats-wheels.com/
Speedline - http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk/
Panasport - http://www.panasport.com/racing.html
Revolution - http://www.revolutionwheels.com/
SSR - http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/

You may even want to check with BBS and OZ Racing.

rthiele
06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I drive DFORCE racing wheels http://www. (http://www.dforcewheels.com)dforcewheels.com (http://www.dforcewheels.com), very light weight and never had any issues.

Matt93SE
06-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Too bad you don't need 4 lug.. http://gt-racecar.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4589

Ron Earp
06-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I drive DFORCE racing wheels http://www. (http://www.dforcewheels.com)dforcewheels.com (http://www.dforcewheels.com), very light weight and never had any issues.

13 lbs. Heavier than most of what I'm considering.

Did you check out:
Jongbloed - http://www.jongbloedracing.com/
Compomotive - http://www.comp.co.uk
ATS - http://www.ats-wheels.com/
Speedline - http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk/
Panasport - http://www.panasport.com/racing.html
Revolution - http://www.revolutionwheels.com/
SSR - http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/
You may even want to check with BBS and OZ Racing.

I've checked out a few: Jongbloed is $$$ and no lighter than 12.5lbs, Panasports, not going there for this car based on look. Revolutions were heavy. SSRs and the others I must check.

Do you have to run a 15"? 16x7 are a lot easier to find, but maybe not in 0 offset..

15" max in ITS.

Bob Roth
06-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Rota slipstream - apparently 12 pounds 15 x 7 $150 each for 4.
http://www.nfcperformance.com/rota-slipstream-c-523_741_766.html
http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=40
Doesn't look like a 15 x 7 zero offset is availble in 5 x 114 though

JeffYoung
06-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Those have a very bad reputation for breaking (no offense Bob).

Rota slipstream - apparently 12 pounds 15 x 7 $150 each for 4.
http://www.nfcperformance.com/rota-slipstream-c-523_741_766.html
http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=40
Doesn't look like a 15 x 7 zero offset is availble in 5 x 114 though

jrx13
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
A couple months ago, I looked into the Rota 15x7. They did not have the +35 offset in the 5x114.3mm anywhere in stock. Only the +40 so I'd have to run spacers. I decided to get the Team Dynamics +35 for just about $5-$10 more per wheel, which were in stock.

Bob Roth
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Has anybody heard of 15" slipstream's failing. The only things I could find on the web was about some 17" Rota Attack's. Here was one posting I saw that suggests there are not problems with the 15" slipstreams. I'd like to believe them as there are not a lot of options in the 15 x 8 size range.

http://www.preludeonline.com/f67/fyi-rota-wheel-failure-story-100392/

I personally like Rotas for them being a low-priced alternative to the higher priced lightweight wheels. However, one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that their reputation for quality and durability was built upon the numerous years of experience ppl had w/ their 15" and 16" wheels such as the circuit8. The Slipstream, which no one has reported failures of also come no larger than 16". Both of those wheels also have either thicker spokes or more spokes than the Subzero and Attack, which both are also available in 17" (the one that broke was 17"). Perhaps Rota has perfected their manufacturing method on the smaller wheels, but not yet on the larger wheels. And with the spokes being fairly thin and/or low in number on the Subzero and Attack wheels, and being a larger wheel, thus having longer spokes, the forces on those spokes are higher than on a smaller wheel. Perhaps Rota used the same design methodologies for the larger wheels w/o putting enough consideration into the additional stresses exerted on the thinner/longer spokes. I've seen Volks, SSRs, BBSs, etc. wheels damaged from racing. The wheels were torn at the rim, bent inward, etc. from contact damage, but when the spokes sheer off like that, especially w/ no contact, it's more a sign of design/quality problems then a fluke. Re the number of reported Rota failures, like I said, most ppl who run Rotas on the track use 15" and 16" (honda and miata crowds). Rota has only relatively recently offered 17"+ sizes, and only subarus for the most part use the 17"+ sizes for the track. I see a heck of a lot more hondas and miatas than scoobies at any track event, so that may be the reason why not more 17"+ (subzero and attack) failures have been reported...just not enough of them being put to the stresses that the 15"-16" are regularly seeing