PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug wires . . .

S2_ITBVW
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm going to replace the plug wires. Simple. However, there are so many to choose from, and the price ranges from $30 to $200!! I'm interested in reading your opinions about which plug wires are the best.

I'll spend the $200.00 if it makes a difference. Do plug wires make a big difference?

As always, thanks!

shwah
06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I just buy the build it yourself v8 plug wire kits, and use the older style distributor cap that they fit on. You won't make gains with plug wires, but could find losses with bad/damaged ones.

joeg
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Magencores

Dave Zaslow
06-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Chris' statement "You won't make gains with plug wires, but could find losses with bad/damaged ones." is absolutely correct.

My racecar resides in the backyard of the owner, but I have used these for 20 years without ever having a single problem, or even degradation.

http://www.rapidparts.com/brand/Blue-Igniters/20/1

OTOH if you can find real German Bosch wires they are fine too.

Magnecores are great, but the boots.... IMHO feh.

DZ

loopracing
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I go with blue ignitors also. Priced reasonably, good quality and holds up very well. Little to be gained with plug wires, but much can be lost.

S2_ITBVW
06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
As always, thanks very much! The car developed a miss and we found that fiddling with the plug wire removed it. The plug wires seem to have a bit of a short. I am realizing that I need to be pretty vigilant with all this stuff.

I am heading to the competition school at Mid-Ohio on Thursday and then my first "real" race this weekend.

Here's hoping that with a new set of plug wires the car will continue to run as well as it did during my school at Nelson-Ledges.