PDA

View Full Version : Help! Windshield

mtanz
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
We are getting ready to run this weekend for our first race and somehow the windshiled cracked. There are now two pretty good size cracks in the windshield. Niether affect vision in anyway but now we are worried about the annual tech since it will be our first race of the year. I have looked on line and tried to sift throught the GCR but cannot find any definitive answers. Can somebody help, I am running out of time and really do not want to drive 8 hours and find out that they will not let me run. Thank You for any assistance that someone can help with.:(

Greg Amy
05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
GCR 9.3.53. WINDOWS
Windows shall be clear or uncolored, except in Production, Super Touring, Touring, and Showroom Stock if no factory or after market clear windows are available. Officials may require the replacement of windshields that are considered a safety hazard. All closed cars shall run with both front door windows fully open.
My emphasis.

You might be able to get away with a logbook entry (especially if you claim it happened on the way to the track), but that's at the discretion of the tech inspector, and/or you can appeal to the Chief Steward for a one-race waiver if Tech won't approve it. But in the end, you takes your chances...wouldn't hurt to call Chief of Tech in advance if you don't want to try the "it just happened" defense... - GA

CRallo
05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I would think they'd approve it with a note in your logbook, but I'm a tech newb. Let's hear what TGA or Dick ave to say...

Or take this route: the sups should list a tech steward, call them and ask! :)

Edit: Danmit I type too slow!!!

JLawton
05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Where are you from? What track are you going to?

There are usually windshield places that will replace on the spot. I would try to find one of those either near you or by the track. If not, call head of tech and see what can be done. Maybe the windshield got cracked while trailering to the track? <wink, wink>