PDA

View Full Version : SFI "Date of Manufacture" in the future?

StephenB
05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
So I just purchased an R.J.S. Window net for my new car from Summit Racing and the "Date of Manufacture" that is stamped out on the SFI label is for July of 2011. My calander at home and here on my phone says that it is still only May of 2011! How is it that I am holding something that hasn't been made yet??

Does anyone else think this is odd? Should it send up a red flag to me or is this just a normal practice on safety equipment?

Stephen

dave parker
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Stephan
SFI allows the manufacturer a three month "grace period". So a net made in March 2011 would be marked May 2011. This is a common practice.
cheers
dave parker

StephenB
05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks Dave, that makes me feel a lot better! At least I know they are brand new and have not been sitting on a shelf in some warehouse. :)

Stephen

Greg Amy
05-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe they sat a long time on the shelf...in the future!!! And some enterprising soul figured out how to send them back in time so they could be resold!!!

CRallo
05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Greg, you make my head hurt! :p

Harvey
05-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't count on the fact that it has not been sitting on a shelf. Most of the SFI tags that I have seen on belts are not stamped until sold, so WHO knows when they were actually made.

Chip42
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Don't count on the fact that it has not been sitting on a shelf. Most of the SFI tags that I have seen on belts are not stamped until sold, so WHO knows when they were actually made.
I've read that a large portion of the decay time is due to UV exposure from being in the sun, so that's not too hard to understand. they get you every 3 years though, the least they could do is give you all 3.

Simon T.
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Maybe they sat a long time on the shelf...in the future!!! And some enterprising soul figured out how to send them back in time so they could be resold!!!

:happy204::happy204::happy204: That's awesome!

gsbaker
05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
The stamp or the belt? :)

Greg Amy
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
The stamp or the belt? :)
Is there a functional difference...? ;)

lateapex911
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Is there a functional difference...? ;)

Bingo.

That's the really funny..or sad part of the whole thing. (He states the obvious). The belt manufacturer makes a case that belts older than 2 years can weaken. So the SFI changes their required replacement window accordingly. But then lets the makers mess with the manufacturing date.....but that's for the labels. Who knows how long the belt run has been sitting waiting for it's label.

It's entirely possible that the belt material could be manufactured, heck, a year before you get it.

While many would say that a manufacturer doing that is not possible, .....remember, a manufacturer came up with the original claim that belts are too weak after two years to work properly....and I assure you their sales rate was a greater driving force in that decision than your safety.

Do I care that they are selling belts that might be older than the date of manufacture? Not really. But I am annoyed that they argue one thing, then do another. It kinda shows their true colors.

tom91ita
05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
so the belts might be like the folks on the internet chat rooms and dating sites: twice as old as they claim.....