PDA

View Full Version : Will you still be racing at age 75?

Hoof Hearted
05-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I know some of you will cringe at the prospect of a 75 year old driver next to you and I might be a wee bit biased, but not to shabby for a 75.9 year old... ...my father's last race prior to this one was 30 years ago in a Surtees TS-5 F-5000 car.

He's had an FIA license, National SCCA license with 2 silver and 2 bronze metals (Jerry Hansen era) and has participated in the Trans-Am, Can-Am & F-5000 series.

This was last Sunday at Blackhawk Farms with a bunch of "angry jelly beans" swarming past him... ...and trying to find a gear.

http://vimeo.com/23217648

Ed Funk
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Dunno...that's 10 years from now. If my wife has her way there will still be at least one race car in the family...she's not ready to quit.

do you have a welded diff in that VW? Looks like a lot of arm strength being used!

Russ Myers
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I watched Newman at 83 kick a youngsters ass. Lord, I hope I'm still racing at 75.

Russ

Hoof Hearted
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
do you have a welded diff in that VW? Looks like a lot of arm strength being used!

Nope, a Quaife with 225/45/13 Hankooks...

chuck baader
05-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, Ed, I have two years on you and plan to still be doing it at 75....Chuck

Chip42
05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
kudos to all of you who are getting up there and still have the body and mind to do this. the fact that it's been 30yrs since he last raced makes his run pretty impressive, that's a long time out of the seat.

I don't know why my plans are, thats 42yrs off - but I know I've seen a bunch of guys in that age bracket on both sides of the fitness fence, some still doing it well, well into their 80's. but I see NO ONE stepping up to tell the more worn of them it was time to hang it up, and that does bother me.

chuck baader
05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
A couple of things I missed. He wants a rear wheel drive car...he drives the VW like a RWD car...that is what he learned on. Second....Move him closer to the steering wheel...he is too far back. cB

dj10
05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
LOL, I probably won't be alive at 75!

titanium
05-03-2011, 08:12 PM
79 year-old Dick Greer is on the entry list for GT1 at this weekends race at Daytona.:happy204:

Gary L
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Hell, the way things are going, 75 may very well end up being the average SCCA racer's age. If I'm not mistaken, there were 4 of us at age 67 or older on the IT grid (20 something cars) at Topeka this past weekend.

jimalley
05-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I didn't start racing until I was 65, so I hope the health (and resources) hold up so I can race when I am 75:D

Won the ITA race at NHMS this weekend at 65, and proud as hell:026:

MMiskoe
05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
My dad is nearly that age and still races. He's not setting lap records, but he's not causing accidents either. I've passed him on many a lap in enduros (he doesn't do sprint races anymore) and never had an issue with him doing something weird. I always make a point to give him a wave.

He's got some freinds he does enduros with of similar age. In '09 they took 3rd in SM at the 12 Hours at Summit Point. 4 drivers who brought their spouses as crew. Average age of the 4 drivers - 63.

Tell your dad to keep doing it.

I tell my 99 year old Grandfather - you're only as old as you think you are.

ddewhurst
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
This was last Sunday at Blackhawk Farms with a bunch of "angry jelly beans" swarming past him...

I will be 70 in a few months, I also was at Blackhawk Farms this past Friday for 4 thirty minute sessions. I hadn't raced in the last 5 years. Brand new tub up build jelly bean. Handled really well which didn't hide the fact that my mind & body were not up to the challenge. At best I did 15 minute of each 30 minute session & then sat in the car in the padock thinking to myself, do I want to go through the retraining of myself so that I can race again. It was not fun. I packed up & went home.

End of it all:shrug:

jumbojimbo
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Decent lines, good courtesy, excellent traffic awareness and judgement. I'd pass him. I'm 20 years away and doubt I'll be that good when the time comes.

jumbojimbo
05-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I will be 70 in a few months, I also was at Blackhawk Farms this past Friday for 4 thirty minute sessions. I hadn't raced in the last 5 years. Brand new tub up build jelly bean. Handled really well which didn't hide the fact that my mind & body were not up to the challenge. At best I did 15 minute of each 30 minute session & then sat in the car in the padock thinking to myself, do I want to go through the retraining of myself so that I can race again. It was not fun. I packed up & went home.

End of it all:shrug:

I feel your pain Dave. I feel this way the first session of a weekend. Can I really do this? Why don't I understand what the car is doing? Is this fun? Eventually it wears off and I realize this is fun even if I'm not perfect. Sounds like you weren't able to make it over the hump to the fun stuff?

What's the problem, are you irritated you aren't as good as you used to be / want to be or can you just not find the basic joy in the driving?

I can't tell you what to do, but I think you owe to yourself to make sure the fun really isn't there. If it's not, then walk away. But don't give up too soon.

Yes, I spent too much time last weekend with my new-age touchy-feely aging-hippy brother-in-law.

Hoof Hearted
05-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I didn't mention this to him and he'll probably read it here... ...I brought my gear along, just in case he couldn't/wouldn't continue.

I asked him after every session if he was having fun and felt good... ...and he answered affirmative to both questions.

He was disappointed in his times and we talked about pushing harder, driving deeper in and on the gas sooner, but I think he felt more "comfortable" at this pace. He did improve his lap times each session... ...and it was better than sitting in a rocking chair watching the grass grow.

tdw6974
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I watched Newman at 83 kick a youngsters ass. Lord, I hope I'm still racing at 75.

Russ
:D Russ, I guess I am an optimist! My grass roots subscription was paid until End of 2013 when Got notice to protect rate I could renew for additional 10 years for $99.00 So I did Now runs out at october of 2023 at which time I will be a "charming Grumpy Old man" of 80. LOL T weaver:eclipsee_steering:

Hoof Hearted
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
A couple of things I missed. He wants a rear wheel drive car...

NO SHEET! He wants an "angry jelly bean"! I think the hamster powered Scirocco is "just his speed"...

SMac92
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I sure hope I'm racing then, I can't imagine anything better than racing for 62 years straight (started karts at 13). The only issue I have is if somebody that age can pay attention and react like they used to be able to when they started racing or were young. I got hit by an older guy who in his prime was great driver and track record holder, but he has slowed down and he wasn't really watching his mirrors when our contact happened. I don't care if they're slow, or even if if I'm slow when I'm old, as long as the driver realizes it, is aware of their surroundings and can hold their line. If the driver can do that, keep on racing! Just a thought, what would the ideas be that anybody over X age has to do a Drivers School every X years? (possibly with a discount) Kind of like a physical.

Steven

erlrich
05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Just a thought, what would the ideas be that anybody over X age has to do a Drivers School every X years? (possibly with a discount) Kind of like a physical.

Steven

I think that might work, but I would also be in favor of instituting a "peer review" type system for active drivers, where the stewards/driver's reps/veteran drivers might monitor another driver's performance/behavior (wouldn't have to be solely age-based for that matter) where warranted and make recommendations as to whether a driver's school, or even retirement, would be appropriate.

As to the original question; I certainly hope to be able to continue to race well into my 70s (geez, that's only 20 years away :(), but I also hope I'll have the wherewithal to know when I'm starting to become an obstacle, rather than a competitor*.

Edit: *shut up Rob!

Russ Myers
05-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Hell, I'm not really near my 70's, and I'm already an obstical.

Russ

RacerBill
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM
65 and still kickin'. Long as I can breath, I hope to be out there racing. BTW, our 6th great grandchild was born in April!! Hope to see two generations of Stevens' on the track at the same time. Three generations woudl be way cool. Let's see, my granddaughter Autumn get her license this month...........

dave parker
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I regularly race with several "older" racers. A small sample of names:
Randy Canfield 80 five time national champion, 13 second places at the Runoffs. I have proudly finished second to Randy on several occasions.
Jim Harrison 70something still quick.
Bob Shelton 76 and still doing it fast.

I don't think age matters. Situational awareness and being able to work with traffic is the key. If you have those two things lets race!

cheers
dave parker

uturner
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I want I can live to 75, let alone race. Then it is a win-win!

CRallo
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
There is a lil saying I came up with a while ago and often say, "I'll always be driving something somewhere..." I've got another 50 years to make it to 75, but if I'm alive, I'll be standing by what I've always said!

Monkeywrench
05-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Not much of an IT racer, but I lurk on the classifieds on here.

This driver is 77yo in the same car he had the pole and led the 65 DP ARRC race until the overdrive failed (beating Group 44). Healso raced a 289 Cobra in 69 and 70 and finished 2nd in the Runoffs. Then he left for IMSA Baby Grand / RS in the 70s. He still does all his own engine building / car prep.

Watkins Glen:
http://youtu.be/qH5UweSaS3o

After the first lap, ff to about 7:25 and start watching from there. Fast lap is around a 2:19/2:20 on 5.5" wide bias-ply vintage tires.

NJMP Thunderbolt
http://youtu.be/ft29PVCVneU
Fast lap is a 1:37.4 (skip to 4:34 for a fast lap) . This was before the FIA curbing and the track was rubbered in, so it should be able to go faster.

He and Bob Leitzinger (71yo) in a L18 powered 510 battled it out nose to tail while lapping 20 cars in a 6 lap race during last year's SVRA Watkins Glen event.

Also, Buzz Marcus is in his 70s
http://youtu.be/yugusUO3-4k

http://www.tr4-racing.de/pic/buzz/buzzmann.html

boywonder
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow, you guys are all really old... :D

RacerBill
05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, you guys are all really old... :D

Thanks - Ryan!!!!

Z3_GoCar
05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
I was flagging at Tom Eddleman's last race. He was 94 and had traded his sprite for a Miata without a hard top for his last race. Two weeks later he passed in his sleep:(

callard
05-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm 64 and have been racing continuously for 34 years. My fuzzy range plan is to hang up my helmet when I'm 75. Maybe then I'll start saving for my retirement.:D

ajmr2
05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Just turned 60 in January so I guess I'm one of the younger older guys. I've been racing in the SCCA since I started what is now called my "bucket list" 21 years ago. I look forward to several family reunions every season with all the friends, misfits and racing buddies I've gotten to know over the years. Hell, I don't know what many of them do for a living 'cuz it's mostly about cars, family and friends. I've also found that volunteering with the club is a blast, and again, it's about the people.
As long as I'm having fun and I feel I'm not putting myself or anyone else in danger, and I can still afford to do it, I will continue racing. All else melts away once I climb in the car and it's still cheaper than therapy. :023:
AJ

callard
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
it's still cheaper than therapy. :023:
AJ
Doubt it.

erlrich
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
and it's still cheaper than therapy. :023:
AJ

Only if you drive a Toyota :D When's the last time you changed the plugs in that car...199?

...and damn, I didn't realize you were THAT old!!! I guess I'm going to have to start calling you sir now...;)

Mseiler
05-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I just got my RR license in Feb and will be only 58 in July. Luckily my son and I went to the same RR school. He's 30 and his son will be 8 soon. It would be the best to do an enduro with the 3 of us sharing the drive. 75 isn't that far off...that means my wife will be...:o

uh60_fixer
05-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I think that's awesome! I was at Willow Springs Raceway a couple weeks back and there was an 84 year old guy racing an open wheel car on the paved oval there. I hope I make it to 84 so I can do that!

It'd be an honor to race with someone that old.

ajmr2
05-13-2011, 05:25 AM
It'd be an honor to race with someone that old.

We prefer the term "experienced." :eclipsee_steering:

mikelawson
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Well I don't think so that I live till 75 :( but if I live I say yes to Racing in every age :023::023:

Lael Cleland
06-10-2011, 12:35 AM
I will race till I die, then race some more for free up there.... they have Hoosire trees & its always 65...... the Ice never melts in the cool shit coolers, tires never go away...

Gary L
06-10-2011, 07:02 AM
they have Hoosire trees & its always 65...... the Ice never melts in the cool shit coolers, tires never go away...

And the fuel cells refill automatically, eh? :)

OT - Is Lake MAM full yet?

Hoof Hearted
06-10-2011, 11:25 AM
My father raced again this May at Brainerd International Raceway... ...I had welded the diff and the poor guy had to deal with the new "Armstrong steering". His goal is to race his old Formula 5000 1969 Surtees TS-5 at the Kohler Historic races at Road America next year.

http://www.mnaudi.com/gallery2/d/4598-2/Surtees.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=b181e2efdaa55bd65d9da8d9 5db968e0

Here is the beautifully restored car with Sir John Surtees on the left and the current owner Mark Harmer on the right. The car was originally campaigned as a factory Surtees Team car with David Hobbs at the wheel. My father flogged this car in the mid 70's, not knowing its history... :blink: ...selling it and "retiring" from racing.

Lael Cleland
06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
And the fuel cells refill automatically, eh? :)

OT - Is Lake MAM full yet?

I forgot about the bottomless fuel cell :)
Or one that dosent pick up issues on lap 11 LOL! I was in second place!!!!

So far so good for the flood, we will know next week... We have a back up date at MPH... I hope it stays dry!

JohnRW
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Did anyone mention Dan Carmichael ? Won the RunOffs in Formula Atlantic (go big or stay home...) ten-ish years ago...while still "wet behind the ears" at 79.

Yeehar.

Russ Myers
06-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Dan was also an ACE in WW2. And he was a champion in Formula Atlantic. One of the really FAST classes. Just cant keep a good fighter pilot down.

Russ

callard
06-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Dan also gave the best SCCA awards acceptance speech EVER at the year end convention. I had chills.

jr2dad6888
06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
We are working on three generations on the track! My 16 yr old got his comp license 2 weeks ago at MAM. Now we have to figure out how to get two cars to the track for two generations! Then we need to get Grandpa to the track. He is 74 and a 50yr SCCA member this year. I think his last race was runoffs 1980. Thread/video like this may be the prod he needs!!!Thanks.
Steve and Ben