PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on OEM switches vs. new replacement toggle switches

Fastfiat
05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Looking for some rule clarification on switches.

I just picked up a 1st Gen Mazda RX7 that I will be racing in ITA class..

The steering column combination switch (wipers, lights, etc.) is questionable. The left side cover is missing and the sitch is safety wired is to hold it together/ in place - funtionality of switches marginal.

The center console (radio, temp controls area) has a coverplate over it with 3 aux gauges(WT/OT/OP) and 2 Aux switches (electric fuel pump and electric radiator fan).

I plan on replacing the 3 gauges and 2 switches on the center console with new better quality items for better accuracy and reliability.

My question deals with the steering column combination switch. Can I add:
- Additional new toggle switches on the center console for the ignition and a start button (and remove the original keyed switch from the column).
- Additional new toggle switches on the center console for the lights and wipers (and remove the questionalble combination switch form the seering colum or does it need to stay there w/ levers and just be inactive).

Just looking to add some reliability into the misc. switches, keeping the functionality of all the switched items.

Thank you for your help,
Mitch

G-Man
05-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Hello Mitch,
Congrats on your new car and welcome. This is a great forum - lots of wisdom and help. I also run a First-Gen Rx-7 (85) in IT-A, out in Colorado. I'm new, but happy to help - feel invited to PM or email me.
I can email you the 2011 IT-only GCR section, in Word. Lemme know if you'd like it (or anyone else).
I believe you can remove/replace existing dash stuff and switches - many cars do this. I think it's a "you can remove the old stuff to put in new stuff" and I'm sure other folks here know more and will give specific info.

Fastfiat
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the response. I currently have printout of the 2011 IT GCR's from the SCCA website. They were a little vague on this specific topic with regards to the steering column stuff.

Hopefully some other racers will add they're input. I would like to deal with this rework just one time.

Mitch

dickita15
05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
The problem here is whether to answer you as a “rules nerd” or with practical advice. Technically there is nothing in the rules that says you can remove the column switches. From a practical point of view however it is common practice to do as you suggest. I think everyone will agree that no one will give you any grief for making this change.
I have replaced my column switches with toggles because I could not mount the replacement steering wheel and retain the cluster. It is the one modification I made to my car that I honestly cannot justify in the rulebook. I have not lost any sleep about doing it however.

Fastfiat
05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Dick,
Thanks for your comments..
Besides this ITA RX7, I race vintage cars and fully understand the "rule book".
Understanding the "intent" of the book is usually where people have the most difficulty. Fortunately, I feel confident on interpreting the "intent".

With these items that I have listed (switches), I do not plan on losing any sleep either.

Thanks again,
Mitch