PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Race program

RacerBill
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
OK, I have arranged to get a new rebuilt head for the old block (since I have not found out what went boom in the last engine). Also, having the old block decked and trued.

While I am changing the motor, I'll get new front bearings pressed in.

Still working on upgrading the suspension, but that looks like it will take place later in the year (based on parts availability).

And down the road will be the carb swap and exhaust system rebuild.

We'll keep updating this thread as we go along. :024:

RacerBill
05-04-2011, 11:17 PM
OK, block and head are back from the shop. Now to get the car in the garage and get the blown motor out.

RacerBill
05-15-2011, 12:18 AM
OK, car's in the barn, ready for the motor transplant. Got the old motor all spiffed up. My son and I worked tonight port matching the rebuilt head. He will be port matching the intake manifold in the morning. Having my son here in Ohio to work on race cars is a dream that I had 27 years ago, and it is the greatest feeling in the world.

Matt93SE
05-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Having my son here in Ohio to work on race cars is a dream that I had 27 years ago, and it is the greatest feeling in the world.

:023:
Some of my best memories as a kid was helping Dad restore his 63 1/2 Galaxie.
25 years later, some of my best as an adult are when Dad comes down from OK to crew for my races.
He just retired and bought himself a 240SX of his own to play with. Only worked telephone tech support so far, but I'm glad he's got a toy to play with and it's definitely provided us something to do together.

CRallo
05-15-2011, 12:41 PM
cool beans! keep the updates coming! Gonna make IT Fest? :D

My dad got me into this, I was watching F1 and Indy cars at 7 or 8 and I've taken things to a whole new level. Living and racing 700 miles away has its disadvantages though :( He has only been to one race and I'm missing the resto of his '69 Z28 RS...

RacerBill
05-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Worked most of today getting everything disconnected for the transplant. New(er) engine is all painted (looks real pretty - but in the imortal words of Donald Sutherland "real pretty, but can they fight!". Head has been portmatched and the intake manifold is getting the same treatment. Need to get the spindles off and get new bearings pressed in, and new wheel studs. Oh, and I checked my belts and they will need to be replaced before annual in July. Probably do that now.

BTW, I am registered for the PDX and WOR games next weekend.

RacerBill
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Setbacks # 6948 thru 6955 - Ordered new hub assy's, had to wait until they came in. Had one wheel lug pressed out so that I could get the correct size long lug. Only lug I could get was a little shorter than the older ones but only came in 12x1.5 thread, so I had to buy three sets of lug nuts (had to have at least one spare lug nut). Got everything back to the machine shop yesterday afternoon to get everything assembled.
This afternoon, I get a call from the machine shop saying that the mounting holes on the spindle are not lining up with the hub. Well, checking on their online catalog at the shop, they show two different part numbers for 1983 and 1984. My car is a 1983 and I ordered according to their website catalog which showed only one part number. Their online catalog shows both part numbers for 1984! So now they are going to try and verify the mounting bolt pattern and if the second part number is correct, will try to get them in from three states away.
With my luck, they'll get the new one's in, but the holes for the wheel lugs will be different, and I'll have to get another set of lugs and lug nuts (no, got to look positive. The lug nuts will be the same as what I have!).

Need to have a small fortune so that I can pay a mechanic to have to deal with all these issues!!!!!!

RacerBill
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
:mad1:Pulling apart the engine that went bang last year. Lots of shiny metal shavings in the #1 intake port on the head. #1 intake valve rocker in two pieces. Small piece of metal like a rod came out of the port, too. :mad1:

CRallo
05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Parts troubles SUCK!!!! I feel your pain, I used to own an 86 Audi that had 6 options for everything cuz a three drivetrains and a mid year change... GL with it! Mighta jinxed yourself signing up for it before the car was ready :p

Take some pics of the carnage!!! :D

RacerBill
05-17-2011, 11:50 PM
OK, guys, the pics I took are too big to post here, but you can see them on my facebook page 'Bill Stevens'. The name of the album is Engine Damage 2010.

First time I have ever seen such carnage.

RacerBill
05-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Enough of last year's engine. Let's talk about this year. We disassembled the engine that blew a head gasket in 2009. We tried to get an exchange head, but the rebuilder could not get one, so they rebult the old one, including decking the head/block surface. Just to be sure of a good seal, we had the block decked as well. The bottom end looked good, so we left that alone. Maybe next year get an upgraded engine build, overbore, blueprint, balance, etc.

We did take the time to port-match the intake manifold to the head.
The assembly went without a hitch. The clutch looked brand new, so that went back without any work. We put the oil pan back on, in case we were able to make the WOR Games, but that was not to be because of problems with other parts of the build.

Upgrades/maintenance in preperation for this season include a new fitting for the oil pressure gauge so that the braided line would not kink. Also, as a precaution, we decided to replace the wheel bearings, and this turned out to be a major problem. When the left hub broke back in 2007, I had a new hub pressed in and there was no problem. This year, I went to the same shop and ordered the hubs according to the year, make and model, 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger. I ordered the hubs so that I could take a wheel stud and get longer studs for racing (also makes putting the wheels on a lot easier). Well, after delivering the studs to the machine shop where I bought the hubs, the machinest calls me to tell me that the holes in the hub for the bolts that secure the assembly in the spindle dod not match up correctly. So we ordered the hubs for the 1984 Charger. Also went back to Jegs to replace the lugs that were pressed into the incorrect hubs, and bring them back to the machine shop.

Then I find out that enough of the lugs were pressed in that I needed to get another package. My crew chief, Sharon, graciously went back to Jegs for the additional package.

The next morning, the machinest called me again to tell me that the studs that I had bought were not the right size. So after calling the hub mfg. tech support, I made another trip to Jegs for two more sets of lugs, and back to the machine shop. Well, about 2:30pm, I get another call from the machine shop - the hole in the hub that allows the retaining bolts to be inserted and tightened did not line up, and the only way to assemble the hub/spindle was to put the bolts in, press the hub a little, tighten the bolts a little, press the hub a little, repeat until it was all together.

But the machine shop could not finish the job that day, and the machinist was going on vacation, so the job could not be completed until May 31. Thank goodness that I had not planned on racing Memorial Day Weekend.

Well, this gives us more time to get the rest of the car into better shape. Have to install new belts in order to pass Annual in July.

CRallo
05-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like you've stolen my luck... Joke's on you!!!! :p

RacerBill
06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Spindles with hubs pressed in are back, small miracle! New ball joints are installed! Only major item is installing the crank scrapper. Then just small stuff, and reassembly. Looking better for 6/11-12.