PDA

View Full Version : Spec miata in ITS

kevin22
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Can I run my 1999 SM in ITS?

dickita15
04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Pretty much yes. Some things allowed in SM are not IT kosher but because the cars is not an over dog I think most people ignore little stuff. I know we have a lot of double dippers up here.

Andy Bettencourt
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Pretty much yes. Some things allowed in SM are not IT kosher but because the cars is not an over dog I think most people ignore little stuff. I know we have a lot of double dippers up here.

I am not sure there is anything on a 1999+ SM that isn't allowed in IT other than no ride height limit.

Xian
04-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I am not sure there is anything on a 1999+ SM that isn't allowed in IT other than no ride height limit.

Maybe looped PS hoses? Thought that was allowed in SM but not IT legal...

Christian

MMiskoe
04-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Vent window replacement/removal? Is that legal in IT? I forget.

Both this & depowering the steering rack seem like they have merit for being allowed, but that's a topic for another thread.

Andy Bettencourt
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Vent window replacement/removal? Is that legal in IT? I forget.

Both this & depowering the steering rack seem like they have merit for being allowed, but that's a topic for another thread.

Window removal allowed, steering rack a good catch.

...and technically the RP is illegal too, so remove it for extra POWAH! LOL

red986s
05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Window removal allowed, steering rack a good catch.

...and technically the RP is illegal too, so remove it for extra POWAH! LOL

Do you have to remove the "vent windows" in pairs or can you keep one and remove the other. If you remove the passenger side vent window bracket, doesn't that effect the door window (roll up)? I can't find anything in the GCR (IT section) that says whether or not I can dump the passenger window as well.

Thanks!

mossaidis
05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I believe, in IT, you can only remove the door windows if you run nascar door bars and those bars pass through the cavity of the door... or something like that. tGA?

lateapex911
05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Thats true. But, read the definition of "Nascar bars" in the glossary and "into the cavity" isn't specified in any way/minimum amount, so build accordingly.

Gary L
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
9.1.3.9.m. If equipped, the vent window and its supporting structure may be removed.

Hmmm... the way that's written, it could be interpreted to mean you can remove only one vent window, your choice of which one. In any case, it certainly appears to allow the removal of just one.

WRT removal of the vent window "supporting structure" forcing the removal of the roll-up window, I asked that question early on, and was told (by an ITAC member, FWIW) that this allowance was not intended to force removal of roll-up windows.

red986s
05-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Sounds good, I figured as much on the passenger side. Just wanted to clear up the controdiction I thought I read.

I do want to remove the drivers side. I installed an Ultra-Shield Rally sport seat. It has shoulder supports that eat up a lot of room in the window opening. Making it tough to escape if needed. Any problem attaching a hose to the passenger side duct/vent to direct air my way after removing the one on the drivers side?

See ya at MAM in June Gary?

Gary L
05-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Any problem attaching a hose to the passenger side duct/vent to direct air my way after removing the one on the drivers side?

See ya at MAM in June Gary?

I'm pretty certain that's allowed, and...

Oh, Hell yes! We're talking new header, new rubber, and "new" #4 cylinder (found to be about 35 psi short on compression after Topeka... I knew it just didn't feel right at the top end).

Weaver7
05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Does anyone think that the 99+ Miata can be built into a top dog ITS car?? :shrug:

JeffYoung
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Absolutely -- it already has been.

ISC in Florida built two of them. Kip's yellow car won IT Fest I think and came close to winning the ARRC; Mike's blue car won the very competitive SARRC championship once or twice.

It takes some work to get the necessary power out of them, but if you do...watch out.

Does anyone think that the 99+ Miata can be built into a top dog ITS car?? :shrug: