PDA

View Full Version : Helmet choice

jswisc
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm returning to the track after a long break, almost 35 yrs! I'll be racing in ITA, closed cockpit. I raced formula V's way back when and all we had then were open face helmets. Had a bike for awhile and rode with a full face helmet. I'd prefer to use an open face helmet for the track if not in an open cockpit or on a bike. What issues am I missing, if any. I see that the pre-drilled Hans fittings come w/ either type of helmet depending on which one you get. Thanks for any comments.

Knestis
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Take my test: Do you wear Nomex because you are required to or because you think there's actually a chance that you'll be in a fire some day? If your answer is the latter, do you want your face and eyes protected?

That's just my logic though. Everyone makes their own decisions.

K

itracer
04-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I've seen glass fly across the cockpit in videos of my brother's crashes. Since then, I do not leave my face shield up -- I used to.

joeg
04-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Open face?

Ouch! even in a closed cockpit.

Simon T.
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I would NEVER wear an open faced helmet and think they should be banned, I can't believe they aren't with so many new safety standards. Not trying to bash you or anything, but they're just dangerous. Not only from fire but debris, even in an off into a gravel trap can make your face look worst than a teenager.

If it's visibility you like about open face there are some good large opening full face helmets on the market that allow good visibility.

CRallo
04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Open face is nearly banned, IIRC SA2005 and up includes no open face helmets, so this is the last year for them and even then some tracks don't allow them even for a track day.

I think Big E's accident had something to do with this...

Knestis
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Other things I have seen intrude into sedan cockpits...

** Fir tree branch

** Battery acid and parts

** Rear view mirrors (multiple)

** Deer detritus

** Crankshaft journal and half a rod out of a Fiat 128 - through the windshield, which added to the mess

As was mentioned above - "ouch."

K

TomL
04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Open face is nearly banned, IIRC SA2005 and up includes no open face helmets, so this is the last year for them and even then some tracks don't allow them even for a track day.

This isn't correct. Nearly all manufacturers have open face helmets that meet not only SA2005 but also SA2010 and SAH2010 standards. However, that still doesn't mean that I think they are a good idea. I bought one of the original Bell Stars in 1972 and haven't worn anything but full face since.

benspeed
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
A friend who is just starting racing went with an open face helmet - I just sent him a notice on the NASA site that NJMP no longer allows open face helmets. He's pissed - expensive helmet too!

Matt93SE
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Never had any hard objects fly in my window, but I've encountered tons of dirt, grass, mud, and bees while driving.

couple races ago a guy went off in front of me while on a warmup lap while I still had my visor up. It filled my car with grass and dust and it got in my eyes. Fortunately I was only doing about 40mph at the time and I was able to get to pits with one eye closed and get all the crap out then. Had I been doing 100+ in a race, that would have been a much worse situation.

Also went off in the rain at Hallett a few years ago and filled the interior with mud. I'd much rather just wipe some off my visor and keep racing vs. having to rinse mud out of my eyes.

IF you choose an open face, be sure to at least get some good goggles for eye protection.

Edit... Just remembered this nice little vid that might convince you. :)
http://www.yozoy.com/video/windshield-damage-tws-spec

Knestis
04-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Never had any hard objects fly in my window, but I've encountered tons of dirt, grass, mud, and bees while driving. ...

Oh, yeah! Add to my list "Lots of grasshoppers." I spun into tall grass at Portland one time and the dashboard had a whole extended family bouncing around on it when I came to rest.

:026:

K

jswisc
04-27-2011, 12:27 PM
After racing an FV years ago in an open face and lots of time on a motorcycle with a full coverage, my initial thought was "windshield and roll cage = open face". But you have all raised valid points. I just bought a car and don't go to drivers school til July. I will be showing up in a full face Bell. Thanks all for the comments!

Terry Hanushek
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Ben

A friend who is just starting racing went with an open face helmet - I just sent him a notice on the NASA site that NJMP no longer allows open face helmets. He's pissed - expensive helmet too!

The State of New Jersey with the current version of Chapter 62 (NJ Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations) prohibit the use of open face helmets in track event. Starting in 2011 all SCCA events at NJMP prohibit them.

See ya at the races

Terry

CRallo
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I got a bee in my ear once... that wasn't fun!

Greg Amy
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
The State of New Jersey with the current version of Chapter 62 (NJ Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations) prohibit the use of open face helmets in track event. Starting in 2011 all SCCA events at NJMP prohibit them.
Define "open face".

This, clearly:

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/2066-BELL-SPORT-MAG-SA2010-OPEN-FACE-HELMET-middle.jpg

But what about this?

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/1181-BELL-S2R-SA2005-HELMET-middle.jpg
If that term is used in the supplemental regulations, it should be clearly-defined (it's not in the GCR). I'd also ensure that all entries have an additional "I understand" box, given this is a significant departure from GCR requirements...

BruceG
04-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Define "open face".

This, clearly:

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/2066-BELL-SPORT-MAG-SA2010-OPEN-FACE-HELMET-middle.jpg

But what about this?

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/1181-BELL-S2R-SA2005-HELMET-middle.jpg
If that term is used in the supplemental regulations, it should be clearly-defined (it's not in the GCR). I'd also ensure that all entries have an additional "I understand" box, given this is a significant departure from GCR requirements...

I have a GFORCE backup helmet to my BELL that looks like the 2nd Bell that Greg shows here. It came predrilled for a Hans and I'm thinking that I might be able to add a faceshield to the open visor. I'll report back once I call GFORCE.

BruceG
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a GFORCE backup helmet to my BELL that looks like the 2nd Bell that Greg shows here. It came predrilled for a Hans and I'm thinking that I might be able to add a faceshield to the open visor. I'll report back once I call GFORCE.

called GFORCE>NADDA on my GFORCE open shield helmet(like Greg's bottom picture). Designed to not have a face shield and built to last that way....LOL. Mine doesn't have the plexiglass added to the visor like the Bell here(nice touch) but I think I can add that because the new GFORCE's have it. If nothing else, it's good for track days and test and tune.

Cobrar05
05-05-2011, 10:13 AM
i wear a full face helmet, but like many i put sunglasses on and left my shield up in the car. i live and race in the southeast and its hot. i something come in and knick my cheek. no real damage. like a bug bite. but i never went on the race track at speed again with my visor up.

plain and simple. get a full face helmet and use your visor.

Chip42
05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
At Summit Point ~16 years ago, a good friend of mine T-boned a car that spun in front of him first time out in a GT3 RX3 he just had shipped from California. he always ran visor up. the impact shut his visor just as the battery acid sprayed across it. it's there for a reason.

but yeah, down in the south it's a huge PIA.

ITEGT
05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Coming around the carousel at HPT two weeks ago I actually had a good sized piece of OPR (Other Peoples Rubber) come through the driverside window opening, it came in infront of the window net and hit me right in the left side of my helmets visor. Scary to think what it couldve done to my left eye if my visor was up!!

The car in front of me had to be at exactly the right angle to my car to fling that through the window but thats how accidents happen. Many leave you asking how the hell did that even happen?!?!

Full face with the visor * DOWN!!

Edited * almost all the way down I leave about 1/4" at the bottom for ventilation.