PDA

View Full Version : Miata Seats

the1jbh
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I am currently building an ITA Miata and am in search of a good seat. I would prefer one with side mount rails because the car may be hot seated at HPDE events. I want something SAFE and comfortable. Also, I need a slightly wider seat, seeing how I am not the skinniest Miata driver out there. I have a 38" waist and am 5' 10" tall. Any suggestions as to good seats that fit well in a Miata? Please know that I'm not rich so something affordable over any high dollar butt cushions is greatly appreciated.

pitbull113
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
i would check out the spec miata forum there are alot more miata drivers over there http://mazdaracers.com/

TStiles
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I've been very happy with my Ultrashield Road Race seat

Mine is mounted on the floor , but I see no reason why you could not side mount , but I would not recommend sliders because it will be high.

I'm a little smaller and taller ... my 15" / 20 degree works for me.

You can always beat the tunnel to get it to fit the way you want it.

Matt93SE
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a Kirkey intermediate 20deg seat with I think 18" width, and it fits me just fine. I'm about the same size as you. 5-9, 230lb, 38" waist.

We also run an Ultrashield that looks identical in our LeMons Miata. It's mounted through the floor, but we were able to relocate it in about 30 seconds for driver changes. we used hitch pin on the back brace and two bolts through the floor, with multiple holes in the bottom of the seat. Just pull up the cushion and remove the bolts with electric impact. move the seat to the new location and put the bolts back in, then reseat the back brace hitch pin.

It takes longer to get the driver belted in than it does to move the seat.

Price for either seat is about $250 with cover. Try checking your local road race or dirt track shops and see if they have anything in stock you can test fit. Smiley's Racing in houston stocks about 10 different seats and I gave each one a good sit to see what I liked.

ddewhurst
04-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I've been very happy with my Ultrashield Road Race seat

Mine is mounted on the floor , but I see no reason why you could not side mount , but I would not recommend sliders because it will be high.

I'm a little smaller and taller ... my 15" / 20 degree works for me.

You can always beat the tunnel to get it to fit the way you want it.

6 foot, 230 pounds, 38 inch waste.

I use a 16 inch 20 degree layback Ultra Shield Pro road race seat in a 1990 Spec Miata mounted to the floor. I used one of those body shop air hammers with a mushroom head to expand the tunnel for the seat width. < It was easy & did the job very well. I removed the rear OEM seat mount brackets. I left the front OEM seat bracket in place & modified the front of the seat full width across the seat behind the two or three bends at the front of the seat. The seat material I cut out is now filled with the front seat bracket when the seat is in place.

the1jbh
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I appreciate everyone's responses and I'll keep all the information in mind when deciding on the right seat for me. Does anyone use composite, or fiberglass seats? I am interested in hearing what the pros and cons are for aluminum seats to composite/fiberglass seats.

JIgou
04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
In general, "affordable" and "composite or fiberglass" don't work very well in the same sentence.

What's your budget?

Chip42
04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Does anyone use composite, or fiberglass seats? I am interested in hearing what the pros and cons are for aluminum seats to composite/fiberglass seats.

the biggest pro for composite seats is when they are FIA 8855-1999 homologated - it means that you know you are getting a seat that can withstand a known minimum of tests. aluminum seats are usually sold without any certification of testing in the affordable price ranges. your waist MAY caus eyou some difficulty on the FIA seat front if you are trying to stay under ~$700. the Momo start 2007 seat is the cheapest GFRP seat I know of, goes for <$400.

if you go with aluminum, then at a minimum get something with lots of ribs for strength, not the kirkey economy seat. I'm not so fond of the ultra-shield spec miata piece, either.

but the rails on an FIA seat, as disucssed, can casue you issues under new SCCA draconian seat rules. Mount FIA seats firm, and make adjustements as needed.

the1jbh
04-25-2011, 08:03 PM
I think around $400-$500 should be suffice.

JIgou
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
My opinion:

In the $400 to $500 range, "good" FIA composite seats are going to be tough to come by, at least new. You should be able to find a good seat used, but...well, that's used.

$400 and a little change will get you an Ultrashield Pro Road Race seat, which is what I happily ran in my Miata. It's a well-built seat, and I think the reinforcements would keep Chip happy. I'd bet lunch that a 17" version would treat you well. (I also agree on not getting the rib breaker / Kirkey economy seat.)

Chip42
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
the idea is to keep yourselves happy - both now, at tech, and after something goes wrong and you are dependant upon your safety gear.

I'm just the loudmouth trying to help you make good decisions and point to info that is available to you to help in that.

joeg
04-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Nothing beats a good seat!!

However, deals can be had on FIA compliant ones.

the1jbh
04-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Isn't the Sparco Sprint 5 seat FIA homologated? Does anyone know if it fits in a Miata? It's priced in the low $300 range.

Chip42
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Isn't the Sparco Sprint 5 seat FIA homologated? Does anyone know if it fits in a Miata? It's priced in the low $300 range.

it is homologated to 8855-1999 with side mounts (it has side and lower bosses). it's also a steel-frame seat, not composite if that matters to you. should fit in a miata, Steve U has one in an MR2 with some room to spare.

JIgou
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
the idea is to keep yourselves happy - both now, at tech, and after something goes wrong and you are dependant upon your safety gear.

I'm just the loudmouth trying to help you make good decisions and point to info that is available to you to help in that.

Hope you didn't think I was poking at you - I agree with your stand 100%.

Chip42
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
doesn't bother me if you were, but I'm glad we're on the same page.:023:

I relaize I can get a bit preachy about this safety stuff but I'm realizing how deep the ignorance goes within our racing, officiating, and rule-making groups, and I just want to make enough noise that people notice some of it, because these are really significant issues with a lot of false information and unfounded beliefs surrounding them that can cause a lot of pain if they aren't understood ahead of the time we depend on them.

the1jbh
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Assuming the seat isn't extremely heavy, I would think it would be good for everything from ITA to Spec. Am I correct?

Chip42
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
the sprint 5 is not heavy, though it has a few pounds on the composite seats. it's a comfortable, good looking seat, but I'd test fit it as it might be snug. it's good for anything in SCCA when mounted according to GCR 9.3.41.

Keep in mind that FIA 8855-1999 seats are only tested with a 50th percentile Hybrid III dummy that weighs 170lbs, even the "plus" size seats. bigger boys should consider shopping upmarket or talking to the retailers or factory reps to make sure you're getting something that will work for you (maybe "optional" testing showing data with a 95 percentile dummy - I don't know what might be available). I'd still suggest FIA over uncertified aluminum.