PDA

View Full Version : Transponder location?

S2_ITBVW
04-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't see anything in the GCR specifiying where to position the transponder. Am I just missing it? What are the recommendations/guidelines for mounting this?

As always, thanks!

Dave

RacerBill
04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
The GCR does not specify a location for the transponder, but here are some guidelines.

1. The location should be as unobstructed as possible (clear view of the ground).

2. If your transponder is hard wired, make sure you can see the pilot light to check to see that it's turned on.

3. If your trasponder is battery powered, be sure that it is in a place that is easy to get to, so that it is easy to install and remove for charging.

4. It's a good idea to locate it as far forward as possible, just in case you get into a situation like All Unser Jr and Scott Goodyear (just kidding about the Indy shot, but it was an unforgetable mess trying to sort out the margin of victory! It's the reason why SCCA uses transponders for timing only, not scoring!At least not scoring finishes!)

See you at the track, Jeff.

Dano77
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I can tell you an RX7 is .023 seconds long at Lime Rock. Dont ask why I know,still kinda bitter about it. hint dont mount on fuel cell cage where there is lots of accesability,a clear shot of the ground and a power wire already there for the fuel pump.

Whoops

Dan

raffaelli
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I can tell you an RX7 is .023 seconds long at Lime Rock. Dont ask why I know,still kinda bitter about it. hint dont mount on fuel cell cage where there is lots of accesability,a clear shot of the ground and a power wire already there for the fuel pump.

Whoops

Dan

:happy204:

mc-integra111
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
The GCR should not be specifying this. As long as the signal is good, that is what matters.

Try the manufacturer for mounting information. http://www.mylaps.com/kb/en/b2b/Installation/Transponder/Install_Car_Transponder.pdf

Russ Myers
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, go ahead and mount it as far foward as possible. That way, when you drive through that green flag turn one disaster, you get to buy more that just the radiator and all the front end sheet metal. Mines in the trunk. And no one wants to hit a Pinto in the trunk.

Russ

lawtonglenn
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM

we once talked about having it be able to move along
a rail mounted the length of the car.

then, in qualifying, we could start a timed lap at
the last possible moment, with the transponder aft,
and during the lap, have the transponder slide forward
along the rail to trip the timer at the first possible
moment....yielding an artificially short laptime

:D

RacerBill
04-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, go ahead and mount it as far foward as possible. That way, when you drive through that green flag turn one disaster, you get to buy more that just the radiator and all the front end sheet metal. Mines in the trunk. And no one wants to hit a Pinto in the trunk.

Russ

Yes, I should have been a little more specific about the mounting location. Mine is on a bracket that is attached to substantial frame of the car, not on the plastic bumper cover, or anything like that.

The sliding mount sounds interesting, though!

Reminds me of the first year for battery powered transponders at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There was a yellow period during one of the practice sessions. During these times, all the cars come into the pits. All of a sudden, the timing system clocks off a lap of about 275MPH. Holy cow! That was fast! Then another lap, just about the same speed! Unbelieveable! What car was that? Wait, we're under yellow! There are no cars out on the track!

Looking down at the start/finish line, there was a driver, transponder in hand, looking at his watch, and reaching over the pit wall at the appropriate time and swiping the transponder over the time line! Surprised we haven't heard of this kind of stuff at the runoffs. which would not be hard to do since the AMB system is a single loop system and cannot tell the lateral location of the transponder, like the Data-1 system could.

ITC Racer
05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Can the transponder 'see' through a thin plastic splash shield (on a Honda)? The instructions specify not mounting it above metal or carbon fiber and they say as unabstructed as possible...

Greg Amy
05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Can the transponder 'see' through a thin plastic splash shield (on a Honda)?
Probably. I have mine mounted above an Alumaboard undertray, and it seems to work fine.

Try it, you can always move it. - GA

mc-integra111
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
It should work, as the plastic is likely transparent to the signal they use. I cut a 3" square in the plastic right below mine to give an unobstructed line to the ground.

Simon T.
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM
My RX-7 had it hard wired in the engine bay in front of the strut tower.

I have always mounted the battery powered ones in the car on the front of the cage next to the driver door, I have never had a problem and I know I won't lose it.

lateapex911
05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
It should work, as the plastic is likely transparent to the signal they use. I cut a 3" square in the plastic right below mine to give an unobstructed line to the ground.
Agreed. I mounted it over a thin plastic shield and it worked fine. I had meant to cut a window but ran out of time.