PDA

View Full Version : How many lbs is this? Making weight in the RX8 :)

StephenB
04-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I know this has popped up from time to time... how many lbs is a wiring harness? For the first time I am building a car from the ground up. touching each and every bolt and each and every connector on the car. I couldn't resist grabbing a scale :)

Anyone want to guess?
--Complete wiring harness...
--All that crap on the floors that I just spent days and days on...

If anyone is interested in anything else let me know and I will grab a scale!

Stephen
PS: I don't own the washer bottle yet so I can't scale that, so don't ask!

lateapex911
04-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Washer bottle, without motor is 9oz. With motor, 1.3 lbs.

Harness. The ENTIRE harness? 17lbs.

Goop on floor you scraped off? 22 lbs.

dickita15
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
My first gen RX7 harness was something like 21 pounds, I have to believe a RX8 harness weighs twice that.

Knestis
04-12-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm with Dick. I had a complete Golf harness and some extra bits in a cardboard box and it wasn't easy to lift it onto the top shelf in the shop.

Harness - 46#

Undercoating and junk - a similar amount, if you got it all

K

Ron Earp
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Undercoating only, no carpet or inside interior junk, under 10 lbs.

StephenB
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry for the delay :) The Results are in!

Engine Wiring Harness with fuse box = 22lbs
Car wiring harness, every wire and every conector from the fire wall back = 24lbs

Total wiring and conectors including fuses is 46lbs!

Sound Deadening inside passenger compartment and trunk. including doors and side panels = 17.5lbs. more than I figured since that stuff feels like nothing as you get it out... at the same time that is a lot of work!

The car is really starting to come together and I am really getting excited :)

Stephen Blethen
ITR RX8

seckerich
04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
It takes 3 minutes and 1 liter of liquid nitrogen to strip the entire car. :D

What got me was the seats at 35.43 and 38.17. Have database for every part of the car if you want a copy.

Knestis
04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm with Dick. I had a complete Golf harness and some extra bits in a cardboard box and it wasn't easy to lift it onto the top shelf in the shop.

Harness - 46#

Sorry for the delay :) The Results are in!

Engine Wiring Harness with fuse box = 22lbs
Car wiring harness, every wire and every conector from the fire wall back = 24lbs

Total wiring and conectors including fuses is 46lbs! ...

Oh, yeah! :happy204:

I think my prize should be one Regional race.

K

StephenB
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Steve,
That would be cool if you don't mind sharing it! (Sblethen at rstperformance.com)
FYI I purchased Johns continental car that got wrecked at daytona which had most of the parts I needed. Its coming along very fast now :)

Started a Facebook page called "rst performance racing" if anyone is interested in following the progress. I was going to do a blog but reality is that Facebook is much easier!

Stephen
Proud rotary owner now :)

StephenB
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh, yeah! :happy204:

I think my prize should be one Regional race.

K

I can't afford that but you did win.... so when it is done I would love for you to drive it sometime, maybe in the 12hr. FREE for 1 hr Just pay your part of the entry.

Seriously if you interested,
Stephen

lateapex911
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I was within 4.5 on the undercoating. Do i get the same prize?:)

StephenB
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I was within 4.5 on the undercoating. Do i get the same prize?:)

Jake, you can be Kirks crew guy :)

When I am ready to do a 12hr you'll get a PM! I don't think we can win with an RX8 because of fuel mileage but I am prepping it to do those types of events anyway, it will be a a fun car for sure :)

Stephen

benspeed
04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Can't wait to see it - I'll be checking out the Facebook page. Gonna be great to have a RX8 in ITR - I loved my old RX7 (three of 'em!)

Matt93SE
04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
just get the biggest fuel cell you can stick in it and drive REALLY fast between pit stops! :)

CRallo
04-14-2011, 04:23 PM
So this means you have three of them now?!

Steve,
That would be cool if you don't mind sharing it! (Sblethen at rstperformance.com)
FYI I purchased Johns continental car that got wrecked at daytona which had most of the parts I needed. Its coming along very fast now :)

Started a Facebook page called "rst performance racing" if anyone is interested in following the progress. I was going to do a blog but reality is that Facebook is much easier!

Stephen
Proud rotary owner now :)

StephenB
04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
So this means you have three of them now?!

Yup, The wife isn't really happy about that... taking up a lot of space at the house! (especially with 2 Audis still here) I may build a second car that I may sell next year or give to my brother. I have close to enough parts to build 2 cars at this point, however I am concentrating on mine for now. It is a bare shell 1/2 painted and just about ready for re-assembly. almost all parts are here and ready to go :) The only big things I don't have that I wanted for this season is a set of Koni 8200 shocks and a digital dash with data logger. Both of those will come next season though.

Stephen

RSTPerformance
04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I may build a second car that I may sell next year or give to my brother. I have close to enough parts to build 2 cars at this point, however I am concentrating on mine for now.

Stephen

I can make a suggestion if you want ;) ... Car is coming along great!!! Can't wait for it to be done!!!

Raymond

LiveDrive9900
04-15-2011, 09:28 PM
My first gen RX7 harness was something like 21 pounds, I have to believe a RX8 harness Car parts (http://motorfiend.com/) weighs twice that.

Damn that's crazy.:026:

gran racing
04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
So jealous!!! Good for you. A 12 hour, eh? That sounds awesome! I absolutely love how the Speedsource RX8 sounds when zooming by no name straight at LRP.

Dano77
04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
His wont sound that cool,missing 1 rotor and we have a sound limit.

Ive seen this pile of stuff and it just keeps growing,car is way cool. cant wait to drive it :eclipsee_steering:

Dan 77 IT7

StephenB
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
So.... maybe trading in the 12hr or 13hr race next year for a continental challenge race :) sure I know I wont do real well but it would be fun! An ITR car is basically the same. Only concern is those guys have tons of $$ and don't care about bumping for position! With an entry fee of $2K per event and 3K for a tire budget at each event... they really don't care about a dented fender for $500 bucks!

Thanks for the encouragement, do to weddings, babies in the family, and other scheduling issues I think the first event I will be at will be the WG July 23rd event. Regional / pro-IT :)

Stephen