PDA

View Full Version : Windsheild wiper switch Bypass

tdw6974
03-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Appears that our wiper switch is bad have not been able to locate one. Anyone bypass the factory switch and install an toggle on/off switch?

Dano77
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
you have the FSM and that has the wireing diagram for it. Just figure out if the switch controls Ground Or Power. most control ground.

Then determine which wire is low or high or intermitant and control that wire with the switch. Very possable its gonna take a switch 2 butt connectors a piece of wire and a sheet metal screw to the chassis. The first gen is that way. the switch controled the ground to the chassis i think.

I cant remember,besides rainx works great.

CRallo
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I think that's an illegal modification! :p

lawtonglenn
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170621174501

mbuskuhl
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Appears that our wiper switch is bad have not been able to locate one. Anyone bypass the factory switch and install an toggle on/off switch?

Here you go http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=848533

I don't know if it is legal for IT, I did it on my EP car.

rotarymike
03-31-2011, 10:40 AM
the major rx7 forum (can't post links as a newb) has several people who repair them.

I'm not on the forums much, but I repair them too. PM or email me for details. I don't do it as a 'business' any more but I have time for the odd repair.

-Mike Harrington
-Rotarymike

cjb25hs
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
So, I cant find anything in the rules, but is it legal to remove the wiper switch and install an external switch? This is the way the car I just bought has been wired for years

Greg Amy
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
So, I cant find anything in the rules...
I think you just found your answer. But I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over it.

Carl Johnk
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I just did this on my 1st gen. I used the factory wiring harness. Disconnected it from the stock switch. Looked at the FSM wiring diagram to figure out which wires needed to be connected to make it work. Used spade connectors to connect the factory connector to an on-off-on switch from radio shack. The on-off-on switch lets you have hi and low speed. The only drawback with this system is that is doesn't auto-park. The wipers just stop where ever they are when the switch is off. The picture shows the factory connector with the spade connectors going to the switch, which is covered with blue masking tape, because I was just painting the dash support.

tdw6974
04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Tried some by pass tried to get motor to run by doing direct power to motor no luck motor does not run. Motor turns very hard. Wiper linkage free looks like I may have to call friendly parts store.