PDA

View Full Version : ITE rule set?

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Hello,
My car is a well prepared '00 Mustang. It was last raced in '06 under the ITE classification.

Is there an ITE rule set anywhere? Or does anything still go in ITE? Ive read the GCR through but ITE isnt mentioned anywhere that Ive seen.

I appreciate the help/info.

Thanks,
Anthony

#26 ITE

JoshS
03-29-2011, 01:12 AM
That depends on where you are, what region do you race with? ITE rules are not set by the national club, each region can create their own if they wish to have such a class. Check your region's website (or let us know where you are, someone here will know the answer no matter where you are).

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 01:40 AM
MiDiv

Im trying to get the car together to make the double school at MAM in mid april.

I just want to show up with a legal car since Ill have to have the cars annual tech inspection done at the track.

JoshS
03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Google is your friend. Answer found here (http://midiv.org/PDF/2010_MIDAM_REGS.pdf) in Appendix B:

Mid-Am Rules for Improved Touring - Endurance (ITE)

Concept: To permit cars prepared for professional or semi-pro showroom stock-based series, or cars not eligible for any current SCCA Improved Touring class, to compete at Midwest Division events in their own class.

A. Cars eligible for the ITE class are cars which have been prepared for any past or current professional or semi-pro showroom stock-based racing series or cars not eligible for any current SCCA Improved Touring class which are prepared to the current Improved Touring rules.

B. Cars must meet minimum safety requirements as defined in the GCR and ITCS for Improved Touring cars. This includes all items in GCR Section 9 which are applicable to IT cars, ITCS Section 9.a, and all items in ITCS Section 10.

C. Cars must run tires and fuel as defined in the ITCS.

D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed.

anthony1k
03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=JoshS;319818]D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed. QUOTE]

I've never seen this rule being enforced, at least here in the Northeast. I would be surprised if any region actually did. Typically to run in ITE a car has to meet all of the IT safety rules and run on DOT tires. Beyond that it is pretty much open.

joeg
03-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Do not worry about a classification for school. If it is a safe car, it will be legal for the school.

A lot of schools now simply divide groups by open wheel/ closed wheel.

JLawton
03-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I haven't looked at the details of the two classes, but at a minimum couldn't he run SPO or STO?

Andy Bettencourt
03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
I haven't looked at the details of the two classes, but at a minimum couldn't he run SPO or STO?

He can, but the safety requirments are going to be different. When you get your logbook, you present to the tech inspection team the car with a class. That class determines cage, fuel cell, etc minimums (and maximums in some cases).

Legality for anything other than safety isn't of concern for tech inspection.

tnord
03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
*anything* still goes into ITE. i think it stands for "Improved Touring Everything."

if the car was in ITE before, and has a logbook, you should be ok as long as you have the updated door bars.

i might be there instructing, and if i'm not i know the chief instructor for the weekend pretty darn well....so if you need anymore help, just ask. glad to have you out.

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
The car has an outward bent x shape driver side door bars. They are welded together where they meet in the middle. The x also protrudes out into the door cavity. Door skin is removed on driver side only. Pass. side has two door bars that start up near the harness bar and run down at different angles towards the front down tube. Tubing is 1.75x.095 DOM.

I'll get some pics up to better show what I have and then Ill ask the question of "Is this still legal?"

Thank you for all the replies. Great to see an active board with knowledgeable IT racers.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
From your description, it *sounds* legal to me. the right side they're not really concerned with other than it has two door bars.
the left side sounds okay since it's protruding into the door cavity and has two bars. you're theoretically protected in a crash, and that's what matters. of course, pics would be good though.

tnord
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
i agree, sounds like you're in the clear.

if you don't want to go to the hassle of pictures, just tell us when the last annual inspection the car had was (it's in the logbook), and we should be able to figure it out. i think if you have a stamp from 2008 or later you're good to go.

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
It was last raced in '06 under the ITE classification.

Im working on getting the logbook from the previous owner.

JIgou
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep, the description sounds just fine. Photos will tell more, of course, but there's nothing I've heard that is any kind of alert.

An alternative to doing the inspection at the track would be to find a local inspector to give the car an annual tech before heading to the track "just to be sure". Drop me an email at jigou at raquet dot net or PM me here with your location and we'll see if we can find someone local for you.

And I know Kelley the chief registrar for the MAM weekend (PS: she's awesome!) would tell you to register ASAP so she can help you make sure you've got all of your ducks in a row. You don't need to pay until you show up at the track.

Let me know if there's anything else you need or any other questions you might have!

Jarrod

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Im in Kansas region #110 aka Salina Region. I spoke to Rocky Entriken and he didnt know of anyone local anymore that did tech inspections.

I will get registered asap. Care to post a link or email address to the registration site/person?

I have lots to do between now and then but Im trying like hell to get this car and myself ready to be at MAM for the school.

JIgou
03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Dang. Rocky would know if there's anyone around Salina. Carry on with the questions... :-)

I'm guessing Rocky also got you pointed in the right direction for a novice permit and physical form. If not, let me or Kelley know and we'll help you get going. Aside from the car, those are the two biggies....and the novice permit is partially out of your control, so getting that going sooner than later is key.

Online registration link: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=4630&LMID=3171

PDF of the supps / printable entry form: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/download.filx?FileID=1337

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Dang. Rocky would know if there's anyone around Salina. Carry on with the questions... :-)

I'm guessing Rocky also got you pointed in the right direction for a novice permit and physical form. If not, let me or Kelley know and we'll help you get going. Aside from the car, those are the two biggies....and the novice permit is partially out of your control, so getting that going sooner than later is key.

Online registration link: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=4630&LMID=3171

PDF of the supps / printable entry form: http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/download.filx?FileID=1337

I mailed out my completed signed off physical, 2-2"x2" mug shots, copy of both sides of my DL and a check for $110 last friday. I was told that it took some time to get the novice permit paperwork completed, so I hope I got my ducks rowed in time.

Thank you for the links!!

JIgou
03-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I mailed out my completed signed off physical, 2-2"x2" mug shots, copy of both sides of my DL and a check for $110 last friday. I was told that it took some time to get the novice permit paperwork completed, so I hope I got my ducks rowed in time.

Thank you for the links!!

Sounds like the appropriate ducks are rowed at this point, and the timing SHOULD be just fine. Look forward to meeting you in just over two weeks!

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
when I got my novice permit last summer, I sent it off about 2 weeks before the event and got eveyrthing the day before I left for the school. whew!
The good news is once things are processed, you can download and print your novice permit from the website and then get your novice booklet at the school. that's at least how it was done with mine.

Got eveyrthing signed off in Jan and got my nat license so I could race the first double nat in Feb. :)

g'luck! and remember.. it's a SCHOOL, not a race. you're learning to play in traffic, not run away from them.

That was my biggest problem- we had 2 'fast' cars (my 240SX and a T2 350Z), 12 Miatas, and 3 or 4 slower cars at my school. I could pass anyone but the 350 on the straights and pretty much drove away from traffic at will. but that wasn't the point in the school. so I sandbagged on the straights and played with the Miatas in the corners.
...... and right when they thought they got the best of me, I'd put my foot a little farther down and outrun them to the next corner. ;)

If you're taking an ITE Mustang to a school, you'll probably be in a similar boat. remember why you're there and that the goal IS to play in traffic!

EV
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
D. The driver of the car must, upon demand, be able to produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits. A car may be prepared to one set of rules only; no mixing of different series rules, or different years of the same series, is allowed.

I've never seen this rule being enforced, at least here in the Northeast. I would be surprised if any region actually did. Typically to run in ITE a car has to meet all of the IT safety rules and run on DOT tires. Beyond that it is pretty much open.

*anything* still goes into ITE. i think it stands for "Improved Touring Everything."

if the car was in ITE before, and has a logbook, you should be ok as long as you have the updated door bars.

Of course this was as a result of a weenie protest, but oh well...

i might be there instructing, and if i'm not i know the chief instructor for the weekend pretty darn well....so if you need anymore help, just ask. glad to have you out.

Not always... I know of one D.C. region 12 hour competitor that was given his walking papers and couldn't race because he didn't have an ITE compliant car. He couldn't "produce the appropriate series rules containing the specifications under which the car fits"

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Matt,
Thank you, true words of wisdom and experience right there. I didnt google for the answer to my question because of the post above. Google wouldnt have gotten me that very good bit of advice.

Driver side door/cage
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/legal006.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/legal005.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/legal007.jpg

Main hoop, Im worried about there not being a continuous diagonal bar as per the rules. Will this still pass tech?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/legal003.jpg

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Since the cage is pretyt beefy, I would think you could get away with the non-continuous bar, but I don't think you will get away with those bright yellow gussets on the A pillar tubes. IIRC, bracing to the chassis is illegal in an IT car.
would I protest it at a race? no. but a savvy tech inspector might point that out and send you packing at a race.

would it be fine for a driver school? yes. the big issue for a school is that the car is safe. not that it's class-legal.

tnord
03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
nobody is going to send you packing at the MAM double school for the gussets. you might have to address it at a later date depending on what you plan on running......but for the school you'll be fine.

that should meet the requirements of a continuous diaganol as well. i believe my old SM was done the same way.

CRallo
03-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Given the apparent strength of that X, I would say that it's safe, but I don't believe it fits the letter of the rules... Need a more experienced tech guy to chime in here

regarding the bracing: A car that enters ITE must meet the minimum safety rules for IT, but pretty much anything goes beyond that. So, that bracing should be fine.

EDIT: I just read through that section of the GCR again and the language is not real specific about that aspect of those tubes, so I think you are fine there too.

Since the cage is pretyt beefy, I would think you could get away with the non-continuous bar, but I don't think you will get away with those bright yellow gussets on the A pillar tubes. IIRC, bracing to the chassis is illegal in an IT car.
would I protest it at a race? no. but a savvy tech inspector might point that out and send you packing at a race.

would it be fine for a driver school? yes. the big issue for a school is that the car is safe. not that it's class-legal.

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I appreciate the info that the main focus is the car being safe for the school. that gives me more time to worry about other things and not being told "no you cant participate that way, time to go home."

As for the bracing, I'm thinking of eventually racing in STO but thats not for certain. Cage attach points are free in that class, so that brought on the idea of tying the cage to the A pillars.
I dont have a fuel cell (yet) and I'm not using the stock intake manifold either, both of which are STO requirements. Those are the only two things keeping me from badging the car under STO.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Are you required to run a cell in STO?
I haven't looked at their rules, but stock tanks are OK in STU as long as they're forward of the rear axle. don't know where they are in your Ferd tho...
in my car, the tank is saddlebagged over the rear subframe and driveshaft. if I ever get hit hard enough to damage the tank, leaking fuel will be the least of my worries.

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Fuel tank is behind the rear axle, under where the spare tire would be at in the trunk. It cant get hung out there much more! A cell is a good idea on any tracked mustang, I just havent gotten there yet.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
As for the bracing, I was under the impression that an IT cage was an IT cage was an IT cage, whether it's ITE, or a regular ITA/B/C/S/R car.. they're all still IT and fall under the same prep rules. or is there something I don't understand about ITE??

A cell is definitely a good idea in your car then. for IT I wouldn't worry about it, but if you run with the other big V8 boys, you'd be much better off with a cell.
FYI, look around at the used NASCAR parts and the production and GT forums for stuff like that. lots of fuel cells floating around out there for good deals.
ooohhh... saw one on racingjunk.com the other day for like $400. not sure how new it is, but it was a 22gal one out of a stock car. IIRC it had full FIA certs on it. take a look.

JoshS
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
As for the bracing, I was under the impression that an IT cage was an IT cage was an IT cage, whether it's ITE, or a regular ITA/B/C/S/R car.. they're all still IT and fall under the same prep rules. or is there something I don't understand about ITE??

Apparently there is something that you don't understand about ITE.

ITE rules are not uniform! For example, I see nothing in the MiDiv's ITE rules posted above that would allow you to slap a turbocharger onto a Honda S2000 and race it. But here in the San Francisco Region, that's not only legal, it's popular.

Whether it's safety or prep rules, it's not safe to assume anything about ITE rules from another region and/or division unless you've actually read their local rules. I'd venture a guess that some places don't even offer an ITE (but probably offer something similar).

Ron Earp
03-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Yep, as Josh said, ITE can be anything depending on what the local region decides. NCR SCCAs ITE rules are below:

1. Purpose. It is the intent of these rules to allow closed wheel cars (mass produced, kits cars or others) prepared to the safety standards of the General Rules of Competition’s (the “GCR”) Improved Touring rules set to race at events in the North Carolina Region (“NCR”).

2. Eligibility. Any closed wheel car shall be eligible for inclusion on NCR’s ITE classification. Eligible cars include but are not limited to manufactured production cars, closed wheel sports racers, kit cars, replicas, or other race series derived cars. NCR will specifically recognize cars prepared in accordance with any other regional ruleset containing safety requirements similar to those in the ITCS (such as ITO).

3. Safety. All cars prepared for ITE for competition shall be prepared in accordance with the safety standards set forth in the ITCS section of the GCR (including those references in the ITCS to other portions of the GCR), except as modified herein. The rollcage shall not be limited to eight points of attachment to the chassis/body. All ITE cars may run an approved fuel cell.

4. Engine and Transmission Placement. Engines and transmissions shall be confined within the bodywork.

5. Tires. All cars must compete on DOT approved tires.

In general ITE is a sort of run what you brung class and no competitiveness is guaranteed or implied, at least in the South East that seems to be the case. A bit different in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Gotcha..

Houston's ITE is yet again completely different..

Cars eligible for ITE are production based cars with fenders and doors that are not currently eligible for any other SCCA club racing class. Cars entered in ITE must meet minimum safety standards of the 2008 GCR and Improved Touring Category Specifications, ITCS, including all items in Section 9.1.3, ITCS. Suitability of any car for ITE is subject to the approval of the Chief Steward and Chief Scrutineer.

The maximum engine displacement for normally aspirated cars is 3,500 cc. Turbo-Charging or Super-Charging is allowed with a maximum displacement of 2,500 cc. Rotary engines are limited to two (2) rotors.

Note there is just says "minimum safety standards" and doesn't list a maximum, which would imply that cage build is open as long as it meets/exceeds an IT cage-- which is the absolute minimum anyway.

JoshS
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
And San Francisco Region is yet again different:

The only IT rules that apply to ITE are those listed below.

1. Any tub chassis production vehicle running with DOT tires.

2. Preparation Rules: International Sedans may modify the floor pan/rocker panel sections.

3. Cars must meet or exceed the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations.

I have no idea that that #2 is all about.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
IMSA IS

The International Sedan Series was short lived and the genesis of the Radial Sedan Series. It is unclear if the 1969 inaugural IMSA Sedan race held at the Talladega Superspeedway Road Course was designated International Sedan Series or not[citation needed]. That being the only race held in 1969 details are sketchy[citation needed], but over the winter of 1969-70 rules were officially promulgated for this Series. It was initially to be known as the International 100 Series as it was intended for sedans up to 100 c.i. or 1600 cc., however was revised prior to the start of the 1970 season to include larger engines and presumably the name change to International Sedan Series.
from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Motor_Sports_Association

maybe?????

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm full of questions. (and something else most of the time)

I have plans to mount my accusump and fire bottle in the pass side floor board. This means no passenger seat if I do this.

How much in car instructor time is there at an SCCA school?

Is it looked down at if there isnt a passenger seat in the car? I have a spare kirkey seat but no spare belts.

Andy Bettencourt
03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm full of questions. (and something else most of the time)

I have plans to mount my accusump and fire bottle in the pass side floor board. This means no passenger seat if I do this.

How much in car instructor time is there at an SCCA school?

Is it looked down at if there isnt a passenger seat in the car? I have a spare kirkey seat but no spare belts.

ZERO time. 99% of all cars that do an SCCA school have no passenger seat. These are fender to fender cars, not DE cars. You will be fine.

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, time to bolt the sump and bottle down. Thank you.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
What he said. The instructors at our school would perch themselves on various corners of the track through the day and watch us run from there.

The jist of my 'instruction' at my school was a ride around the track in his golf cart sat morning with him describing the track to us- of which I've logged probably 1000 laps on in the last 8 years.
After that, about the only instruction he gave me was telling me to slow down and stay in traffic, with a couple suggestions of line changes.

I guess my driving in traffic was good enough he never felt the need to correct or instruct on actual racing..

ITEGT
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys, I really didn't know if I would have an instructor in car or not.

I just registered for the event. I went ahead and signed up for the Friday/Saturday school.

What level of experience is needed to ask to have a required school waived?

I dont know my transponder number so I filled in 111111 figured that would be obvious that I wasnt trying to BS the registration, but just trying to get my info submitted asap. I really need to get my hands on the logbook for the car. If I had known better I would have made more of an effort to get the book by now.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
for the school, they dont' care about the transponder- they ask for it cause it's the same software they use for regular races, which requires the transponder.

that said, you can always enter it later when you get to registration at the track.

And a hint about that..... When you get your logbook, write the transponder number on the inside cover with the rest of your car specs. it'll save you from having to crawl under the car when it's parked in the mud and 40 deg outside and you're late to register... (don't ask why I'm recommending this... ;) )

As for getting a school waived,
1. you need to perform damn well at your first school and finish the day without problems.
2. you need tons of DE experience (flagging doesn't hurt either)
3. at least a couple of the stewards know you and will vouch for you.. letters of recommendation from them certainly help.

I still highly recommend all of the schools unless you've got a ton of experience and just don't have your license. If this will be your first wheel to wheel experience, then you'll DEFINITELY want the additional schooling.

ITEGT
03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Looks like I did the right thing by signing up for both schools. I have DE experience but not enough and not enough in the past few years.

Car is up on jackstands in the garage so it was easy to get the transponder number. Dang zip tie covered the number up perfectly or else I think I wouldve noticed it in my many hours underneath the car.

JLawton
03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah, the SCCA schools assume you come in knowing how to drive on a track. Their goal is to teach rules of the road, safety and how to race wheel to wheel, NOT how to drive.

in the NER schools you must have a transponder. Biggest reason is to track track time.........:blink: You know what I mean!! You're supposed to have 6 (?) hours to be signed off..

Absolutely line up someone before hand to tech the car. A) there WILL be long lines for tech before the school starts, B ) it takes away some of the weekend stress, C) if they find problems you can get them fixed before the school.

it may cost you a case of beer but it's well worth it!!

Also, bring crew help. i can't stress that enough......... Although I didn't but I was lucky enough to have a reliable car. At the NER schools you barely have enough time to put gas in the car between class room and track sessions.

Good luck!! Have fun!!

ITEGT
03-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Im searching for someone to tech. I plan to have the car dyno tuned in Kansas City next weekend. I need to try to find someone in that area to tech the car that weekend too.

I'm trying to line up crew. Our local region which is all autocrossers short of Rocky Entriken, has an event that weekend so most of my SCCA member help that I know is busy.

Crew have to be SCCA members to help correct?

tnord
03-30-2011, 09:25 AM
1) crew doesn't have to be an SCCA member.
2) I live in Kansas City, if you want to have the tech done while you're at the dyno I can help you find someone.
3) what dyno are you going to?

ITEGT
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Good to know... see I'm stressing about finding SCCA members for crew. Time to ask a few local buddies.

As long as the car runs and is ok, I'll be tuning the car at Supertune Performance. They tuned the car when it had a SOHC engine.

tnord- I would definitely appreciate the help in finding someone to tech the car. I'll post up when I have the car ready to take to the dyno and an appt scheduled.

Matt93SE
03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
At my school, I had my dad and a friend come out and help.
They don't have to be SCCA members or mechanics.

As long as they can check air pressures and change tires (and maybe brake pads), then they should be able to do the job. At least with my car, all I had to do was put gas in the car and I changed tires on Sat night.. Well, that's after I got done with the hassles.

If you feel like a loooong read (and some humor), here's the story of my school. (Start on page 4- about post 60.. that's my entire build thread for the car if you're interested in it as well..)
http://nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=908&page=4

As has been mentioned, do what you can to get the car teched before the school. if there's any problems, you have plenty of time to get it fixed. usually they'll go ahead and give you a logbook with the small stuff noted to fix. if it's a REAL issue, you won't get a logbook.
(My car passed with flying colors, other than a couple suspension parts that needed to replace w/ stock to be class legal.).

hope that helps. it's a long read, but you'll get a kick out of the ordeal. I'll never EVER forget that weekend.

ITEGT
03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Matt,
I didnt get through all of it yet but so far its a great read. Lots of pics too.

Ive had some track days that were nothing but a salvage operation. Hallett raceway is 45 miles from Tulsa, I made the tow down there one night after work, got to the hotel fine and got ready for bed. Open up my contact case in the am and one contact is missing. I forgot a spare set of contacts!! Had to drive to tulsa while on the phone with my eye doctor and get a new contact.

Here's my solution for my seat being so far rearward that I cant reach third or fifth gear and Im 6'3"!! Luckily I can still reach the pedals just fine.

I cut the grooves in the handle to add grip. Even with gloves on the grooves really work.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/garageworks002-1.jpg

Turning down the shifter upright and cutting it to length.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/shifterandstuff001.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/shifterandstuff011.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/shifterandstuff014.jpg

I still have to drill a few holes and tap the bottom of the shifter handle tube but so far so good. I plan to bolt a 3/8x1x12 peice of aluminum stock to the shifter and then run it back to the handle pictured above.

Much like your car theres alot of self built get it done going into my race car.

EV
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
for the school, they dont' care about the transponder- they ask for it cause it's the same software they use for regular races, which requires the transponder.

that said, you can always enter it later when you get to registration at the track.

And a hint about that..... When you get your logbook, write the transponder number on the inside cover with the rest of your car specs. it'll save you from having to crawl under the car when it's parked in the mud and 40 deg outside and you're late to register... (don't ask why I'm recommending this... ;) )

As for getting a school waived,
1. you need to perform damn well at your first school and finish the day without problems.
2. you need tons of DE experience (flagging doesn't hurt either)
3. at least a couple of the stewards know you and will vouch for you.. letters of recommendation from them certainly help.

I still highly recommend all of the schools unless you've got a ton of experience and just don't have your license. If this will be your first wheel to wheel experience, then you'll DEFINITELY want the additional schooling.

Don't forget to add an answer to a prayer... (depending on which school you go to)

I had no issues (other than being "too" safe), 5 years DE and was a DE instructor, 7 years as a worker and lost the split decision to waive second school.

ITEGT
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah double school it is for me. No chance for me to waive a school. Plus Im rusty, the extra time on track will be damn welcome.

Logbook for the car is lost. Mustve been in with some boxes that never arrived when the previous owner moved home. Im going to have to have a new logbook issued. Ive got the roll cage number for the car from the salina region, not hard to figure out since there is only one other certified cage in the region.

finger lock
04-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Good luck in school...and welcome to the "run what you brung" world of ITE!

Best,

Guy

tnord
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
for an annual tech in KC contact;

Charlie Smith 816-353-5774

he's a nice guy that's been around the club a very long time.

ITEGT
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Travis,
Thank you for posting up his contact information. Im still trying to make the dyno in KC this weekend but I have lots left to do. Like the engine is still on the cherry picker lots left to do. :o

I wont have even shaken this car out by MAM next weekend and the more I think about it, I dont want to try to work the kinks out at the MAM school. Sounds like a recipe to not pass the schools.

Anthony

tnord
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
what other choice do you have? there aren't any more schools in MiDiv the rest of the year.

all too often people worry about getting the car "perfect" or adding this part and that part before hitting the track. drop that damn motor in, get it running, and head on up. don't worry about every single detail.

or i'm sure there are cars you could rent instead.

CRallo
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
As long as it is safe and dripping leak free, run it! :D

ITEGT
04-06-2011, 03:10 AM
what other choice do you have? there aren't any more schools in MiDiv the rest of the year.

all too often people worry about getting the car "perfect" or adding this part and that part before hitting the track. drop that damn motor in, get it running, and head on up. don't worry about every single detail.

or i'm sure there are cars you could rent instead.

Thank you, no other choice really. Cars not perfect, Im down to bare essentials and safety items now.

As long as it is safe and dripping leak free, run it! :D

I hope it runs!!!

As of 9pm the engine is in, long tube headers are not. Whoever said you can drop in a Ford 4.6l DOHC engine with LT headers mustve had a bigger hammer than me.

Disclaimer*No hammers were used in the installation of this engine*

Its 2am now and most of the electrical connectors are hooked back up, K member is ready to drop out so I can install the LT headers. I couldnt find my damn torx socket to take the effing abs screws out of the spindles. If I had those two little fuckers out I think I would have LT headers bolted up already and be ready to install the Kmember tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow at work I will borrow a torx tool and find two normal screws to replace those torx screws with.

Intake manifold/fuel rails needs installed, shifter and driveshaft too. Fill trans and engine with fluid and oil.

PC680 battery shows up today too.

:dead_horse: <mustang

tnord
04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
sounds like you're being productive and aren't giving up. i know it'll be a time crunch, but bring crew that know those cars (don't have to be SCCA members) to help you out.

is there any particular reason you're taking it to the dyno? is it on a standalone ECU that HAS to be tuned before the car can safely be run? if you're just doing it to try and get more power i wouldn't bother with that until later.

ITEGT
04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Im bringing my brother in law along, whos a trained Ford mechanic, as my crew. My wife will be there to help out also.

Car was a SOHC GT in another life, now its a DOHC. I want to be sure that the new engine gets enough fuel. Not dynoing for power one bit, just dont want to melt it down by going lean at 7k.

JIgou
04-06-2011, 10:23 PM
smallfish seems to be a pretty slick bot. Pretty sure he doesn't know the chief instructor....

Knestis
04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Not a bot. Some kid living in mom's basement.

K

ITEGT
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
LT headers are on, front suspension will be reinstalled this evening along with the intake and accessories. Then maybe I can finally get this car off the jack stands where its been living for the past year. :026:

ITEGT
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Car is running and has been checked out on the dyno. Air/fuel ratio is good.

If all goes well this week I'll see you guys at MAM.

JIgou
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
If it makes you feel better, the local guys thrashing to get a SM ready for the MAM weekend dropped a motor in it a week ago (after the car sitting for almost a year without any engine), painted the car on Saturday and started working on mounting the belts and seat that night. Alignment to come "some time this week".

Keep digging! :-)

ITEGT
04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Im ready for a few good nights rest to get ready for the school. Car wont be 100% done but its close enough.

Got my novice permit to day too.

ITEGT
04-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Looks like its gonna be cold and rainy this weekend at MAM. Im going to rob the street tires off my 99 Cobra and take them as rain tires.

Any advice for a school in the rain? Will the school go on?

tnord
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
i did my school in the rain/SNOW in March....at Gateway.

few things are as unnerving as trying to go around the banking for the first time in the snow at your school.

the school i did before with Midwestern Council at Blackhawk was in the rain too. i think it's good because it forces you to slow down and be smooth. after that...running in the dry is "easy." :eclipsee_steering:

JIgou
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
We'll touch on some rain tips in the classroom session - especially since it'll likely be a wet day.

The school will indeed go on. The only thing that will slow us down / postpone any sessions would be lightning in the area (worker safety takes precedent over track time). That MAY come into play....but let's hope not.

The best news I can share is that every time I look at the forecast on weather.com, it's improving. Still wet, but the forecast high is now 47. That's a heck of an improvement over the 39 they were saying on Monday... :-)

Matt93SE
04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
eeek!!
rain at a school? ohhh man. have fun! take at least two pair of big girl panties. You will surely soil one of them your first session, and probably another after the first spinning car you narrowly avoid creaming.

don't want to scare you, but rain is definitely a place to be careful, and learning to run W2W in the rain is more than I would do. then again, I'd only done like 1 or 2 DEs in the rain before that and was still scared of it. I still don't like it, but have run 4 races this spring in the wet. I'm getting more comfortable with it.

g'luck!!

JIgou
04-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey, guess who made it to (and more importantly, THROUGH) the double school this past weekend?

Welcome to club racing, Mr. ITEGT!

ITEGT
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you Jarrod!!

It was a weekend I'll never forget. I learned a lot and had a great time. The school was very well put together and well run, even with the bad weather on Friday. I dont think conditions could've been much worse.

I got my first taste of drivers school on a track I'd never driven, along with my first day of driving on a race track in the rain, all in a car Id never driven on a race track before. Did I mention on about two hours of sleep?

So if thats not asking for things to go wrong I dont know what is.

Made it through the weekend, didnt bend the car, had the priveledge to meet some great people and see some people I hadnt seen since '06.

It doesnt get much better than that! :D

Anthony
SCCA ITE #26

Gary L
04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
...and BTW, you don't make a bad pit neighbor, either! :)

Enjoyed the conversations, hope to see you at the track again.

JLawton
04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Congrats Anthony. And all because of the advice you received on this site!! :023:

ITEGT
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
...and BTW, you don't make a bad pit neighbor, either! :)

Enjoyed the conversations, hope to see you at the track again.

Gary,
It was good to meet/visit with you too. You had on a good looking hat. :D

Congrats Anthony. And all because of the advice you received on this site!! :023:

Yeah, I think so. A little peer pressure never hurt. There were a few posts that really encouraged me.

Matt93SE
04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Congrats! Yeah, it's hard work, but the hardest part to getting your license is over. The rest of it is easy now. Just go out and play in traffic! :)

ITEGT
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
3 races in the books, regional liscence eligible. Hope to make 2 more races this season so I can go right to a national liscence.

One of my old V710s finally gave up in race 3 this past weekend. I gave them hell in the first race sunday morning.

I learned a lot this past weekend during my first race weekend. Not just about what the car does on track at the limit but how I need to be more focused in the pits between races. I made some mistakes but have learned from them.

Great seeing some folks again, doubt Ill be at MAM next month. Hoping to be at Hallett in July.

Anthony
ITE #28

ITEGT
05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I didnt like not having a rule set to show to tech at HPT. Such is life in ITE but it would've been much easier to show the chief of tech that my minimum weight on a 4.6l mustang is 2380lbs per STO rules. (GCR pg 463)

The only item that Im not legal for in STO is a fuel cell which isnt required in ITE. Even my oil pan drain plug is safety wired, so I have read the rules and I am otherwise to my knowledge legal for STO. I may be splitting hairs here but not having a rule set is kind of a pain in the ass when it comes time to say yes thats legal and then being asked "per what?" :shrug:

Can I use the STO rule set when Im questioned as to what rule set I used when building my ITE car?

Thank you,
Anthony

Gary L
05-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Can I use the STO rule set when Im questioned as to what rule set I used when building my ITE car?

Thank you,
Anthony

I don't think you can use the STO rule set, because of the prohibition against mixing different series rules.

In any case, I've always thought of ITE (at least here in MidDiv) as being sort of "run what ya brung", based on this part of paragraph A: "...or cars not eligible for any current SCCA Improved Touring class which are prepared to the current Improved Touring rules." That means I can run a Bugatti Veyron, provided it is prepped to IT rules.

So what is there on your car that does not meet the Improved Touring ruleset? Weight doesn't count - the car is not IT classified, so there can't be a minimum weight.

I have to ask... did someone actually ask to see a ruleset? I remember two 450+ horsepower 944's running ITE here in Midwest division a few years back... I wonder what series rules they were using? :shrug:

ITEGT
05-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Gary,
The chief of tech was new and wanted to know what my minimum weight was and to what rule set my car was built. For a big mustang my car is light <2900# empty and compared to the other ITE Camaro there that weekend, my car weighed about 300# less. Maybe thats why tech questioned it, I dunno. Lucky for me I had Rocky Entriken standing right there next to me to help explain what my ITE mustang is.

I may not run into the questions again but I too was under the impression that ITE essentially was a run what ya brung class. So when the questions started and I didnt have any answers or a rule set to back me up, it just left me scratchin' my head as to where do I get an answer that will satisfy the tech inspector.

Thank you,
Anthony

CRallo
05-15-2011, 12:29 PM
no reason for you to feel uncomfortable! An officals greeness(yes I'm being nice) is not your fault...

print out the ITE rules for your region(or whoever is applicable here) and keep it with the logbook if you want.

haha! this reminds me of when the IT allowance for DP/BP was new(or the class was too) and the tech guys didn't know what to do when an IT car rolled on the scales! "Which engine? what type of trans?" they would say and start doing the math...

JIgou
05-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Anthony, FYI - ITE in Midiv USED to require a rulebook of some sort to show what the car was prepped to, but several years ago the line that Gary quoted was added to the rules, in essence turning it into "run whatcha brung with IT safety."

I'd guess Rocky told that story, but with a WHOLE lot more history and specific dates attached. :D

ITEGT
05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
I was looking through my MidAm Championship rule book aand guess what... there are all the rules for IT including the 3 paragraph blurb about ITE. I stuck it in with my CGR.

Jarrod,
Haha, sounds like you've had a few conversations with Rocky! Wish I could be at MAM but I think I'll skip it so I can be sure to make Hallett and HPT in July!!