PDA

View Full Version : Helmet

manny
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
well gentlemen i have been gone for a couple of yrs but getting back into it now. my question is what is the date code/mfr date that is accepted on our helmets. thank you in advance

Dave Gomberg
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
well gentlemen i have been gone for a couple of yrs but getting back into it now. my question is what is the date code/mfr date that is accepted on our helmets. thank you in advance
GCR 9.3.20.C.2
Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell
sticker 2000 or later Special Application (SA2000) or SAH2010,
or by the SFI with a SFI Sticker 31.1a for open faced helmets
and a SFI sticker 31.2a for closed faced (if purchased prior to
12/31/04), SFI 31.1 (if purchased after 1/1/05), or by the FIA
standard 8860-2004, or British Standards Institute BS6658-85
type A/FR. The back of each driver’s helmet shall be labeled
with a minimum of the driver’s name. The use of a head and
neck support system is highly recommended. As of 1/1/12,
head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be
required. Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the
driver or his or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation,
3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph)
916-331-5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident
should be included. Freon based total loss helmet cooling
systems are not allowed.
Note that next year, 2000SA helmets will no longer be compliant so any helmet you buy now should be 2005SA or later (2010SA helmets are being sold currently, but there are reports of some being in short supply).

Dave

joeg
03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
The Snell SA label. No need for any manufacturers codes, etc., unless you have SFI 31.something, FIA standaed 8860-2004 or British Standards Institute BS6658-85 type A/FR

Either you have a label for the helmet or you are not good to go.

Snell Labels are inside the helmet.

manny
03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
thanks guys, just checked mine and it has a SA2005 sticker in her :D

joeg
03-29-2011, 07:44 AM
You are good to go--for quite some years also with an 05 Snell.

Matt93SE
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Just a heads-up for anyone buying a SA2010 helmet.. CHECK THE SIZE & FITTMENT before ordering a replacement!!

I had a SA2000 Pyrotect whateverwhatever helmet. loved it. had to buy a new one so I picked up the same model in SA2010. completely different in fittment and sizing, and the chin bar thingy is at least 1" closer to my face. this helmet almost makes me claustrophobic compared to my old one, which fit like a glove.
same brand, same size, same model, completely different fit. be careful before you just buy a newer version of your existing helmet!

RacerBill
03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
+1 I just talked my son out of mail-ordering a helmet and went to get one fitted. Much better idea.

JLawton
03-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Just a heads-up for anyone buying a SA2010 helmet.. CHECK THE SIZE & FITTMENT before ordering a replacement!!

I had a SA2000 Pyrotect whateverwhatever helmet. loved it. had to buy a new one so I picked up the same model in SA2010. completely different in fittment and sizing, and the chin bar thingy is at least 1" closer to my face. this helmet almost makes me claustrophobic compared to my old one, which fit like a glove.
same brand, same size, same model, completely different fit. be careful before you just buy a newer version of your existing helmet!

I had the SAME experience. Had a G Force SA2005 and just bought another G Force 2010 and it's bigger!! Going to the next size down would be too small but I found if I wore a head sock it fit OK.

Bill Miller
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
A helmet is one of the things I think you should absolutely buy from a B&M store where you can try it on. And yes, design and fitment will change over the years, for the same model.

JLawton
03-31-2011, 07:20 PM
A helmet is one of the things I think you should absolutely buy from a B&M store where you can try it on. And yes, design and fitment will change over the years, for the same model.

And some of us just have our fat heads shrink...............

gran racing
03-31-2011, 07:54 PM
But many of us don't have a good race shop nearby that stocks a decent supply of helmets. I have absolutely no issues with buying one from a store who has a good return policy (no restocking fee), won't give any BS for doing it, and ships the other size or make quickly.

I've never had any issues when ordering from OG Racing (http://www.ogracing.com)and there are others like them which also are good.

raffaelli
03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
But many of us don't have a good race shop nearby that stocks a decent supply of helmets. I have absolutely no issues with buying one from a store who has a good return policy (no restocking fee), won't give any BS for doing it, and ships the other size or make quickly.

I've never had any issues when ordering from OG Racing (http://www.ogracing.com)and there are others like them which also are good.

+1 for the OG. I bought my suit there. Actually I bought two of them. I explained that I was not sure of the size so I bought two and told them I would return one. They had no problem with that.

LiveDrive9900
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Good to see you get back into the game!