PDA

View Full Version : Napa sucks!!!

Festus E. Simkins
03-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Life Time Warranty that NAPA puts on some of their products is not worth the paper it is written on. When I bought a set of brake rotors for my RX-7 ten, yes 10, years ago I was told to save the receipt and if they ever wore out they would replace them. I paid a premium (extra cost) for the life time warranty. Well, I kept the receipt and tried to exchange them yesterday. Although I had my receipt they had no record of the transactions or the warranty of the rotors I bought 10 years ago. Therefore, they would not honor the Life Time Warranty. NAPA has seen the last of me. I know it will not hurt their business one bit but a company's word should be their bond.

Just saying. :D

JLawton
03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
I keep going to the same NAPA (independently owned) in Glastonbury for years now and have gotten to know them well. Granted, I spend a lot of money with them but they have always treated me great!! They would only need the old parts back to warrantee them. And that goes for race car parts and street car parts. My rear bearings/hubs? I need to change them about every other race weekend but they would warrantee every time.

Maybe if you weren't such a cheap ass and ran the same rotors for ten years!! :p

joeg
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Lawyer up!

Dano77
03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Only time I had an issue was when the store changed hands. New owners didnt get all the right stuff. So I had to pony up the 14 dollars for a new rotor.

Wait didnt you sell that car....

BruceG
03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Imagine getting 10 years out of rotors on your daily ride....LOL. Would be one hell of a noisy car!

GTIspirit
03-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Rotors and pads are wear items, period. You honestly expected them to last forever???? I'd be ashamed to even ask for a free replacement on such parts.

I've always had good experiences with NAPA when getting warranty replacements on batteries. And recently I bought some 3-bolt exhaust flanges from them for 2-1/4" tubing. Couldn't find them anywhere on the internet but my local NAPA got them for me at a very reasonable price. :023:

Ron Earp
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Rotors and pads are wear items, period. You honestly expected them to last forever???? I'd be ashamed to even ask for a free replacement on such parts.

I'll second that. Damn.

Lael Cleland
03-19-2011, 10:27 PM
NAPA has seen the last of me.
Lucky for NAPA!! 10 years, you must drive like a grandma..on and off the track....

jjjanos
03-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Which is why NAPA shouldn't guarantee wear items, but, if they are going to do it, I see nothing wrong with returning everything that had a lifetime guarantee.

lateapex911
03-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Ten YEARS!?!
I'm lucky to get 10 SESSIONS before they blow to bits on mine....

I'm thinking I know who's an easy guy to pass!:D

Festus E. Simkins
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
All your comments have been read. Just for the record I never had a problem with Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, or O'Rilley (sic) in getting my lifetime warranties honored. BY the way, the rotors had been in a box for about 9.5 of those ten years. I just never took them in. My fault. Found them when I was clean out the shop. They were on the race car and lasted about 4 weekends. They were warranted for wear back in the day. That is why I paid extra for the lifetime warranty. Hey, a deal is a deal. And some wear items do have a lifetime warranty. The brake pads on my "burb" and Toyota are warranted for wear. Just saying. By the way I never give up a turn and I have the battle scars to prove it. :)

pitbull113
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
lifetime means lifetime. call me cheap but i'd expect new rotors or i'd be dissappointed as well.:( but i've had good luck with napa before so i'm not sure i'd boycott them.:shrug:

Tom Donnelly
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Hey, a deal is a deal.

What he said.

dj10
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I've had the same promblem with Sears Craftsman stuff! Big companies warranties aren't worth the powder it takes to blow them up!!

lateapex911
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
has anyone actually read the actual wording of the warranty/fine print? I mean really a LIFEtime of racing? THAT's a reasonable expectation?

yea yea tea, a deal is a deal, whatever.

Ron Earp
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
has anyone actually read the actual wording of the warranty/fine print? I mean really a LIFEtime of racing?

Yes I have and racing is not covered. Asked the manager I know pretty well at Advance and he confirmed racing was not covered under any circumstances.

$10 bet that the Lifetime warranty at NAPA excludes racing use.

Lael Cleland
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
The other thing is the rotors you purchased 10 years ago were expensive, china made stuff, in the last 5 years rotors have dropped in price, 12 bucks for vw rotors.. There are still good rotors out there, but less $$$ today... so to replace yours with what they have available today is not the same stuff.... Its like CV joints/axles, they were $150+10 years ago, now $49.99, Audi may be 69.99......

I have been in the auto industry for 20 years, just a note....

Tom Donnelly
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Yes I have and racing is not covered. Asked the manager I know pretty well at Advance and he confirmed racing was not covered under any circumstances.

$10 bet that the Lifetime warranty at NAPA excludes racing use.

Ok, then I concede on that one. If its excluded its excluded. For what its worth, I got the extended warranty on rotors before but never used it 'cause it seemed unfair being used on a race car.

Does this mean I can't place a claim on my car insurance for racing wrecks too? :)

Lael Cleland
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Man, NAPA does have some funny NASCAR commercials, The DW one is a hoot!

JeffYoung
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Here is the actual warranty. Racing, towing, public vehicles, etc. are specifically excluded:

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/686348.pdf

So not sure why Mr. Simkins is so worked up.

Man, NAPA does have some funny NASCAR commercials, The DW one is a hoot!

JIgou
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I figured he had his tongue stuck firmly in his cheek during the first post.

JLawton
03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Here is the actual warranty. Racing, towing, public vehicles, etc. are specifically excluded:

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/686348.pdf

So not sure why Mr. Simkins is so worked up.

because you never TELL them it's for racing!! It was for his "street" car! :D