PDA

View Full Version : Monticello?

StephenB
03-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Anyone here from the forum race on it yet? I was browsing the webiste today thinking that it really is a great looking track! I wish SCCA could run an event or two on it. Curious to what others have to think.

Stephen

raffaelli
03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I know someone who has run track days there in and loves it. I hear that they are no long accepting clubs to run, only membership can use it. Cant confirm, just word on the street.

CRallo
03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I just have done tracks days there... Once with my old Saturn(LOL) and once with our 240sx.

Its not bad... Its not really thrilling, its the kind of track that keeps the rich prick's supercar safe (lol), but its got A LOT of different corners and just enough elevation change to make things interesting... And its pretty damn long, especially for "New England"

The LONG ass back straight is fun if you have hp, but the entry is too slow :/ Our ITA car could only reach Lime Rock speeds :(

Seems to be one of those tracks that is easy to get around, but shaving of those last fews tenths would be pretty technical!

They are not doing the mass club rentals that they used to... I don't know much more than that :/

ner88
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
FYI New York is NOT in New England :shrug:

RHallRacing
03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah like Chris said, I think they are doing away with Track Days and going back to Members Only track days. I think they track was designed for the club and not racing, so theres no useful pit lane or paddock.
But I did hear they are doing some updates so who knows what the future will bring. The only bad tracks are the ones you cant race.

C'mon spring

Tom Blaney
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I did a couple of SCDA events at the track, and I believe that Monticello is one challenging track with both elevation and technical corners, it takes focus and skill to go fast, and if you don't know how to properly maintain momentum, it will require you to constantly scramble for speed.

As far as the back straight, consider that the dead stop corner onto the long back straight is perfect for " I got you" passes only to struggle to keep the passee off your tail as you go up the gears.

At 150+ (or even the token 130 ITA) speeds, the end of the straight has a quick transition and onto a power uphill.

good stuff, and smooth as a pool table, it's a shame the clubs can't generate enough spectator attendance (more folks go to drifter events than SCCA events) to create a market for the track owners to want to open up their tracks to club events.

CRallo
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
That side is! :p

I know, I know, that's why I used "quotes"

FYI New York is NOT in New England :shrug:

RacerBill
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't know if it was a rental day or a members day (probably a rental) but a friend of mine who still lives up there said that the State Police gave out 49 speeding tickets to drivers leaving the track, on the road leading up to the track! Maybe that's why members only for a while. Members have more to lose than renters.

Tom Blaney
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it was a bunch of hoots from Long Island who were on their way to the track for a club day, and were hauling ass 100+ mph up Rt 17. It was front page of the local paper with a "dude" and his Mustang and another guy with a red Ferrari (I wonder if Snookie was in the passenger seat) being "gifted" by the state boys.

That will teach them to all go up in a power parade.

RHallRacing
03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I think they were just sick of other clubs taking away their track time. I suppose if you pay that much to drive any time you want....and you can't cause someone else is on... As long as the club can stand on its own, i don't see it changing.

lateapex911
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Lots of corners, some are very tight. But, lots of places where you need to string things together, and carry lots of speed.
The facility is gorgeous. When you go off, you slide into a rhododendron...(kidding).
And the straight is loooong and, in the rain, gets your attention. Fun track, great facility, glad I jumped on the chance to run while it was semi public.