PDA

View Full Version : Oil light?

SMac92
03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey guys,

I have a shift like style oil light that I can't get to work but that's a different issue. I have an 89 Civic Si. In the section of dummy lights, my oil light comes on every time I turn the key to axillary or start the car. It started doing this during the winter when it would get started once a month or so. I changed the oil before the winter and I just changed it yesterday and the oil is right below the full marker on the dip stick. The light is still on and the car runs fine when it's started. Any ideas to what the problem may be?

Thanks for the help,
Steven

CRallo
03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
how did you wire the extra light? the oil pressure switch usually completes a circuit to ground so you hook into that wire for the ground of the light and hook +12v to the positive terminal of the light. Many of these lights use an LED so polarity is important!

as far as your in dash oil presure light goes: Did it do this before you started trying to wire in the extra light? And is the light on while the engine is running also? or only while starting it?

SMac92
03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
The light stays on while the engine is running too. The previous owner of the car never had the extra light wired correctly and the light in the dash never went off until recently. I did mess with the extra light before winter but nothing I did seems like it would warrant the stock light to go off. I plugged the light into corresponding receiving ends on the car and changed the ground location. Should I be worried if the car runs fine and the oil is at a safe level? When I drained the oil the other day it didn't look watery or anything.

Thanks,
Steven

raffaelli
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Do you have appropriate oil pressure? If so, you might not want to panic about the light.

SMac92
03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah it sits at 60-70psi once it gets warmed up. It starts a little high, around 90psi. The engine idles at 2250 when it's cold which I think causes the high pressure. Once the idle begins to decrease, so does the pressure.

Steven

raffaelli
03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
.....but you are going to want to source and fix the issue because when it comes on when you are on the track and you haven't fixed it....you might not believe it.

Check the ground from the gauge cluster wiring harness.