PDA

View Full Version : Announcement of Early Availability of CRB Minutes and Technical Bulletin

Dave Gomberg
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Fastrack publication on the SCCA web site is normally on or about the 20th of each month. Henceforth, the Club Racing Board Minutes and the Club Racing Technical Bulletin will be posted in preliminary form as early as possible and usually no later than the 13th of the month. These documents will be on the Club Racing Cars and Rules page (where the GCR is found) at http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=44 and will remain there until the Fastrack is posted. These preliminary versions are provided as a service to the membership. They may be corrected and they will not be official until published in Fastrack.

lateapex911
03-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Sounds like a good way to let the racers and officials do fact checks and typos corrections, saving a whole cycle of corrections, which seems to be a regular occurrence.

tom91ita
03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
thanks for the heads up. does it look like no IT related updates or are they not included yet?

Dave Gomberg
03-12-2011, 10:44 AM
thanks for the heads up. does it look like no IT related updates or are they not included yet?
None in the Tech Bulletin, but 4 in the Minutes.

Dave

RacerBill
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Oh, lord. Hell is freezing over!!!!!!!!

Z3_GoCar
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Oh, lord. Hell is freezing over!!!!!!!!

It is... Didn't you get the advanced e-mail:D

Ps. Josh put in a rule change to make redundant some street car items that aren't needed on a race car. So if you were illegal due to washer bottles, horn, cruise control, or rear wiper removal, you'll soon be able to rest easier.

tom91ita
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Ps. Josh put in a rule change to make redundant some street car items that aren't needed on a race car. So if you were illegal due to washer bottles, horn, cruise control, or rear wiper removal, you'll soon be able to rest easier.

in a similar vein, i had asked for the fuel tank emissions to be removed feb 19th. i was curious about it.

Title: Evaporative Emissions Rules for Improved Touring
Class: IT
Car: none
Request: The evaporative emissions equipment can apparently be removed if a fuel cell is installed as I interpret the current rules.In the past, it had been my understanding that devices associated with the evaporative emissions systems (e.g., charcoal canisters, etc.) could be removed.I have in fact removed them as apparently many others have per various discussions at improvedtouring.comI believe that the rules should allow for their removal regardless of if a fuel cell has been installed.A simple rule similar to that in Super Touring could be implemented."All emission control devices may be removed and the resulting holes plugged."Thank you for your consideration.

letter number #4220

current status is listed as awaiting review by IT committee.

and i was curious about any other car weights being updated.

Greg Amy
03-12-2011, 09:12 PM
current status is listed as awaiting review by IT committee.
Keep in mind, Tom, that the ITAC only meets once a month, and then after that the CRB has to review their recommendations. I *think* that the ITAC meets 3rd weekend per month? Josh/Jeff? I know the CRB is first week per month. And, of course, depending on the size of the agenda not everything can be hit each month.

Patience is key...

924Guy
03-13-2011, 09:49 AM

YOU BASTARD!!! They're trying to take away our washer bottles!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!! :026:

LOL - we'll all have to convert our washer bottles to beer steins or something now, in tribute. :happy204:

(but if I use the late one, it'll definitely need two handles...)
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mVA0Fyvy9v4SHnUXsHyJdiw/140.jpg

Knestis
03-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Laugh all you want there, Vaughan, but make note of the date - the point at which everyone started teeing up their favorite "inconsequential item" request. That term is going to get popular pretty quickly.

At least we resisted putting an "etc." in there.

K

JoshS
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe the term wasn't there, but those letters have been coming in for years and years.

And you can bet that "etc." was never under consideration, that would be really asking for trouble.

This is just a rule change proposal, it'll go out for member comment as all rule change proposals do. So there is ample opportunity for you grumpy types can go ahead and provide your input against it :-) If accepted it wouldn't take effect until 2012.

Knestis
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I know when I'm outnumbered.

I would respectfully suggest that if you (ITAC and/or you personally) have specific allowances that you want, you just list them in the rules WITHOUT any extra explanatory language. Even with the "etc." it suggests a rationale - "it's inconsequential!" - that people will will latch onto as authorizing other interpretations or serving as rationale for the laundry list.

It will come anyway but there's no reason to enable it.

K

JoshS
03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
What you already saw published is the extent of it. We're on 100% the same page. The word "inconsequential" was just the subject line of the letter, it's not in the proposed rule change anywhere.

JeffYoung
03-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Greg, meeting/con call is usually the last or next to last Monday of the month. Tom, we didn't get to the evap issue last time.

The removal of these specified items is out for member comment. I'd personally really like to hear what people would like to do with these items.

Knestis
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM
The rubber and metal bits that stick up into laminar air flow are part of the "windshield washer system," right?

That's the sound of being nibbled to death by ducks. :)

K

Dave Zaslow
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Kirk is correct. Why screw with this? What is the reason for this proposal? What is the advantage to the class?

DZ

IMPROVED TOURING

1. #3193 (Josh Sirota) Allow removal of some inconsequential items
Add a new 9.1.3.D.9.n as follows: "Windshield washer systems, rear windshield wiper systems, cruise control systems, horns and the wiring associated wiring with any of these may be removed. Any holes left in the body must be covered or plugged."

gran racing
03-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Maybe trying to deal with the perception the younger generation have when learning that these things are needed? Altough as K and other pointed out, there still needs to be a line in the sand and they most likely will just question other items.

shwah
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Well it looks like I did a poor job of writing my request. I was not asking for "alternate wiring" on IT cars. My mistake. New request submitted.

Rabbit05
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Kirk is correct. Why screw with this? What is the reason for this proposal? What is the advantage to the class?

DZ

IMPROVED TOURING

Add a new 9.1.3.D.9.n as follows: "

Windshield washer systems, rear windshield wiper systems, cruise control systems, horns and the wiring associated wiring with any of these may be removed. Any holes left in the body must be covered or plugged."

Simply put... Why would you need these on a racecar ? :shrug:

-John

lateapex911
03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
To win races, John.

lateapex911
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
And John, your response will be, "Fine, leave them on". True, I can. But, others will remove them. So, for equality, I must too. (Ignore the claims of 'they don't matter in IT racing, this is more theoretical). Then for rain races, back on it all goes.
I'd rather skip the whole deal. less work, more racing/enjoying life, etc.

JoshS
03-16-2011, 01:19 PM
And John, your response will be, "Fine, leave them on". True, I can. But, others will remove them. So, for equality, I must too. (Ignore the claims of 'they don't matter in IT racing, this is more theoretical). Then for rain races, back on it all goes.
I'd rather skip the whole deal. less work, more racing/enjoying life, etc.

You lost me along the way there, Jake. What exactly will you be taking off for dry races ("for equality") and putting back on for rain races? Horns? Cruise control? Washer bottle?

gran racing
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
That's not true if the line doesn't expand Jake. I can see where you're going with this, but that would be different conversation if we began talking about other parts on the car.

John, what's a racecar? I can most definately tell you that an old Audi or Prelude are far from what anyone thinks of when stating "racecar". This could lead to the "what's next" question which others are concerned about.

lateapex911
03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
You lost me along the way there, Jake. What exactly will you be taking off for dry races ("for equality") and putting back on for rain races? Horns? Cruise control? Washer bottle?
I must have read it in a rush, but I thought it listed the entire windshield wiper system....my mistake.

JeffYoung
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Windshield washer system.

Rabbit05
03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
That's not true if the line doesn't expand Jake. I can see where you're going with this, but that would be different conversation if we began talking about other parts on the car.

John, what's a racecar? I can most definately tell you that an old Audi or Prelude are far from what anyone thinks of when stating "racecar". This could lead to the "what's next" question which others are concerned about.

True and old Honda and Audi are probably not what people think is a racecar. I do, however, consider our cars, racecars.

I come from a very simple way of thinking. As i am returned from a 4 year hiatus. I looked through some of the rules and thought..well some rules are just silly. A rule has been made to have open engine management....cool !...but I cant toss a usless washer bottle ?? Or rear wind shield wiper ?

As new people come into this club (scca) and see this kinda stuff I can imagine they scratch thier heads and say .."what the ??"..just as i have.

I think things need to be simplified. Like toss the door glass ,the washer bottle..ect.(thats right ...ect) Common sense things. Then when you get to real performance stuff the club should provide governing rules to dictate what you can and cannot do.

And as far as the "whats next" thing ? Well thats TBD ?

chuck baader
04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Whats next....how about revisiting the motor/trans mount request so all cars can benefit equally from the "bushing" rule? Chuck

lateapex911
04-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Whats next....how about revisiting the motor/trans mount request so all cars can benefit equally from the "bushing" rule? Chuck
I've got another request in Chuck, and it's been "Tabled" for months, pending other larger issues, I guess.

Z3_GoCar
04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey Jake,

What's your request number for replacing motor and transmission mounts? I'd like to reference your request in my support of it. If you'd not like to broadcast it, you can either pm me or email it to me.

chuck baader
04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
James, you can include both of mine, too. The first was one of the 40 some odd received, and the second was just after the decision and I got the dreaded "already been addressed" bovine excrement.

In my search to find them, I need to know from whom the responses originated. Suggestions? Thanks, Chuck

JoshS
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
You guys really don't need to reference another letter number. Just send your own request with a well-reasoned argument. We combine all of the letters on the same topic together when we discuss a topic.

Hoof Hearted
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Windshield washer system.

IMPROVED TOURING
Add a new 9.1.3.D.9.n as follows: “Windshield washer systems, rear windshield wiper systems, cruise control systems,
horns and the wiring associated wiring with any of these may be removed. Any holes left in the body must be covered or
plugged.”

This doesn't say washer bottle... ...it says "Windshield washer system". To me, this is a system that washes/cleans the windshield and includes wipers and their motors/mechanisms.

There needs to be a "poking the bear" emotionicon...