PDA

View Full Version : 14" rain tires

brandonl
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey guys,

What tire do you guys that are restricted to a 14" wheel run in the rain? Tirerack doesnt look to be carrying Hoosiers wets in any 14" sizes anymore... I only have experience on H wets, but I am open to trying something else. Ive heard good things about dirt stockers, but they seem to be disappearing.

Thanks,
Brandon

Knestis
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey guys,

What tire do you guys that are restricted to a 14" wheel run in the rain? Tirerack doesnt look to be carrying Hoosiers wets in any 14" sizes anymore... I only have experience on H wets, but I am open to trying something else. Ive heard good things about dirt stockers, but they seem to be disappearing.

Thanks,
Brandon

Have you tried other retailers? Phils Tire Service is still showing a 14" option

http://www.philstireservice.com/pages/tires/tires_hoosier_5.htm

K

gran racing
03-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Hoosier is supposed to be coming out with a new rain tire compound. When you speak with Phil, see if he has any further scoop on that.

GTRAIN914
03-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, I will have to look into this as well as I run 14 inch Hoosier rains too.

ajmr2
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I juust emailed Jeff at Hoosier to get the official story about 14" Dirt Stockers. No can get anymore. I bought a set about 10 years ago and they were fantastic and are still holding up well, though rarely used (knock on wood). Maybe if enough of us appealed to Jeff they'd do a production run. They'd be a lot cheaper than the new ones. His solution for 13" DS is not a good one.

Art,
Thanks for writing and for using Hoosier Tires. Currently we only offer a 13” Dirt Stocker – Item 45111 – P205/60D-13 Dirt Stocker - $123.00 each. My suggestion is to (1) purchase 13” wheels to stay on using the Dirt Stocker or (2)switch to our Sports Car DOT – Radial WET tire.

Item 46115HWET – P205/55R-14 HWET - $221.00 each

The dimensions can be found here: http://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm

Choose “Sports Car DOT – Radial – WET” link.

Let me know if you need a contact to purchase these tires.

Jeffrey A. Speer
Product Manager
Hoosier Racing Tire
65465 US Hwy 31
Lakeville, IN 46536
www.hoosiertire.com (http://www.hoosiertire.com/)
Phone: 574-784-3152
Fax: 574-784-2385
[email protected]

darthmonkeyIT
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I was actually just looking into 14" rain's myself. I had decided on Kumho Victoracers as a cheap rain tire for my first season but they are difficult to find now.

Looking at Toyo RA1's now. Speaking with Phil he recommended having them shaved to 6/32" for rain/intermediate setup. The Toyo's are only available in 225 width on a 14" rim though.

joeg
03-10-2011, 01:04 PM
VictoRacers are vastly superior to the Toyo in Wet or Damp conditions.

They are still sold and available.

I use them.

I also purchases a set of Hoosier Wets last year to replace my dry rotted dirt stockers (for deluges).

Haven't used them yet. What I do not like about them is that they are a large tire in circumference. The 13, 14 and 15 inch are the same overall diameter.

Bizzarre, and all are a tad too tall for my gearing.

I would have preferred to buy the Khumho W, which has the right overall size, but only comes in a 15" at the small end. However, I bought 13 inch Hoosiers which were a lot less expensive.

brandonl
03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking of going with full depth victoracers, but a down pour with any standing water worries me not using H wets. Any of you guys use the V700's in heavy rain with success?

gran racing
03-10-2011, 11:55 PM
The Hoosiers are such a great rain tire. I've used the radial wets and the dirt stockers. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy racing in the rain when they're on the car. Actually, yes I can. :)

StephenB
03-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I have done back to back to back to back sessions with dirt stockers and the radial hoosier wets. Both about the same lap times however I did get about .5 seconds faster on the radials. I found that the dirt stockers were actually better mid corner but for braking and acceleration the radial was much better. The radial was noticabbly better under braking but had a push mid corner. Just my experience with them in a FWD car, and I was doing hot laps on both as fast as I could.

I wouldn't spend money on anything but the radial wets again. the dirt stockers chunk up way sooner if it starts to dry up. The hossier radials can be used as long as the track is wet, the dirt stockers need standing water to survive. Realistically nothing else can come close to competing with them in my opinion and since you will most likely have them for years the extra expense is well worth the investment. IMHO anyway.

Stephen

PS: I love the rain with hoosiers!

Ralf
03-11-2011, 04:11 AM
What about the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec? They come in a 185/60R14 or 195/60R14 size and they are only $99 @ TireRack. Looking at the test results, they seem to like them and the only one of the 4 that is available in 14's. Probably not as fast as the Hoosiers, but a lot cheaper for tires that will spend most of their lives on the trailer.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

JLawton
03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I agree with Dave and Stephen on the Hoosier Radials. I found them much more predictable than the Dirt Stockers. The last time I was out with them was in a down pour. I never had so much fun!!

gran racing
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
the dirt stockers chunk up way sooner if it starts to dry up.

I was on dirt stockers at that Glen event and it dried up a fair amount and they had no issues. I think both are great tires.

CRallo
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
The river running across No Name just before the Uphill was a good touch! That day WAS a lot of fun! I just wish I'd had more practice in the wet with that car...

Our 10 year old Dirt Stockers are all I know, but I was able to pretty well with them my first time out in the rain with our current car! :) and dirt stockers were on the pole that day, but that was on a FWD car and a bunch of Hoosier Wets were right behind!

I agree with Dave and Stephen on the Hoosier Radials. I found them much more predictable than the Dirt Stockers. The last time I was out with them was in a down pour. I never had so much fun!!

MSPERBER
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I should probably post over on the for sale area and was hoping someone would buy my set of 5 dirt stockers at vir this weekend but no takers as of Saturday night so five dirt stockers three brand new and two with less than ten laps on them. Yes they are at least 6 years old and are 14 " units. 250$ you pay shipping only selling cause car is gone and new one uses 16's

S2_ITBVW
03-12-2011, 10:23 PM
SOLD! I'll take them. Shoot me an email at [email protected] so we can make sure they will fit my rims. I am pretty sure they will.

Dave

StephenB
03-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Great purchase! WEll done :) you will be very happy with them over the other non Hoosier choices!

Stephen

R2 Racing
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Hoosier DOT-radial wets are by far the best choice. The Dirt Stocker may be a little better in aan allout downpour, but they don't deal with a drying track as well, won't be as consistent, and will be less confidence inspiring than the radials. I have a set of used 14's, that have maybe five sessions on them, which I'll be putting up for sale here shortly.

Yes, a redesign/update is in the works for the DOT-radial rain, but it's still upwards of a year away from production, and it won't be a drastic change.

Kolin Aspegren
03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Hoosier DOT-radial wets are by far the best choice. The Dirt Stocker may be a little better in aan allout downpour, but they don't deal with a drying track as well, won't be as consistent, and will be less confidence inspiring than the radials. I have a set of used 14's, that have maybe five sessions on them, which I'll be putting up for sale here shortly.

Yes, a redesign/update is in the works for the DOT-radial rain, but it's still upwards of a year away from production, and it won't be a drastic change.

Kevin the new H-wet is already out. Chris Childs already has a set.

1 second faster than the old WET straight from Bruce F. mouth.

k

R2 Racing
03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Kevin the new H-wet is already out. Chris Childs already has a set.

1 second faster than the old WET straight from Bruce F. mouth.

k
Same tread pattern and everything? I just got a new set of 15's delivered to me last week, so I wonder what they are. Look just the same as my "old" 14's.

gran racing
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
The change was related to tire compound being used. I know they had a supply of the older versions still in inventory. Maybe there's a date you could check on the tires?

It's interesting that you like the radials more. I used the dirt stockers for the first time last year and was simply amazed. I've used the radials in the past too, but it could be that the tire compound broke down and has become ineffective comparibly.

SMac92
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
My Hoosier wets were left out in the truck over winter and at least one has bad cracking at base (or whatever is the part that isn't treaded) I am looking for a cheap replacement for the wets. I would like something that will act as an intermediate tire too. It looks like the Hoosier won't work well in anything besides a really wet track. What tire do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Steven

gran racing
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Really?? I don't agree with that at all especially the radial wets. Heck, I've thought about using my older set for HPDE drys.

StephenB
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Really?? I don't agree with that at all especially the radial wets. Heck, I've thought about using my older set for HPDE drys.

Dirt stockers wouldn't last more than a session in the dry. They actually start to melt and it feels like your racing in the rain! Even as an intermediate they would be a poor choice.

The radials will last longer but not more than a few sessions in the dry. I have used the radials as an intermediate and they are awesome. Probably the best option in my opinion.

Stephen

gran racing
03-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying dirt stockers would hold up long in drying conditions for long.

SMac92
03-17-2011, 11:03 AM
What is the price of a new set of Hoosier radial Wets? Hoosier doesn't seem to like putting the price on their website.

Thanks,
Steven

gran racing
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
In they past they listed a suggested retail price, at least I thought. They are the manufacturer and typically all tires are sold through their vendors, so I'm not totally surprised that pricing isn't listed. Appalachian tire (www.racetire.com (http://www.racetire.com)) didn't list pricing but www.Philstireservice.com (http://www.Philstireservice.com) does.

SMac92
03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks Dave! They better be fast if I have to pay that much.

Steven

Expansion
03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
I took a set of victor racers and took my grooving iron and made one hell of a set of rain tires. We were the fastest crx in a pouring rain at Road America.