PDA

View Full Version : SCCA race at MO on GrandAm weekend

RacerBill
03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Through the workers network, it was announced that Ohio Valley Region will be holding a restriced regional in conjunction with the Grand-Am race at Mid-Ohio Sept 16-18. It will be a one race group event for ITS, A, B C, and SM(R). No word on the event schedule.

StephenB
03-07-2011, 12:42 AM
That is AWESOME!! Most likely the coolest IT event this year! I am so jealous that I cannot go!

Stephen

benspeed
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
No ITR? Bumming - would have been worth the tow...

CRallo
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Wow!! Very cool!

Mmmmmm... is it worth skipping IT Fest and doing that instead tho?

And what is the entry fee gonna be like on a weekend like that?!

And the TV equipment is already there, so...

Andy Bettencourt
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
And the TV equipment is already there, so...

....the TV people will be taking a break then.

ITA_honda
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
....the TV people will be taking a break then.

Ofcourse they will be. Cmon, they dont want to see any IT racing...

Eagle7
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Ofcourse they will be. Cmon, they dont want to miss any IT racing...
Fixed that for ya.

Andy Bettencourt
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Adding SM and not allowing ITR? Not enough cars to fill a session with just IT cars?

:(

Knestis
03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
No ITR seems like an oversight rather than a decision...

K

ITA_honda
03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Great Lakes Division points event?

Wow, paddock will be packed! Where will they put us "non-pro" drivers? Out in the field up the hill? I think we all need to paddock together in a group out and away from the unknown :D

ITA_honda
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Adding SM and not allowing ITR? Not enough cars to fill a session with just IT cars?

The bigger the field the better!!!

downingracing
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
The details of the event will be posted once they are all final. I'm not sure when that will be, but I know it is being worked on right now. Thanks.

dj10
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM

They don't like us at Mid Ohio...I know they don't like me there.

downingracing
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Great Lakes Division points event?...

I'm pretty sure the answer is No. The official communication will have all the details. :D

ITA_honda
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure the answer is No. The official communication will have all the details. :D

Thanks Matt :D

By the way, are your headlights working? :happy204:

downingracing
03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks Matt :D

By the way, are your headlights working? :happy204:

That is about the only thing working... I've made 0 progress on the car. With no plans to make any progress anytime soon... So....... I'm sure I'll get 'something' together for this year. I've still got the SM/ITA Miata, so I can always jump in that. No clue what 2011 will bring, but I'm sure I'll have a great time with whatever I do. :eclipsee_steering:

tom91ita
03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
my biggest fear is a wait list. i think with SM involved, we will likely hit the car limit for the track (65?).

split qualifying (like the ARRC 15 minutes and 15 minutes) and split strart might be worthwhile....

cudos to everyone helping make this happen.

downingracing
03-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I believe the 10% overage would allow for 66 cars on track if that is granted. The classes are not set yet - this event is still in the planning phase. It is on the schedule now, so hopefully more info will come soon!

We (OVR) will post more information once it is set. Thanks!

Matt

JIgou
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
No ITR seems like an oversight rather than a decision...

K

I've asked, and it isn't an oversight.

No ITR? Bumming - would have been worth the tow...

Agreed.

benspeed
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the update Jarrod - shame they don't want our $$ :-(

R2 Racing
03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
See, this is why it's not a good idea to talk about events like this before anything has even been planned!

Seriously, settle down guys. When we have an idea of who, what, when, where, etc, we'll let it be known.

JIgou
05-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Matt, any update on this? We were sitting around looking at the schedule in SportsCar last night and noticed there's a restricted regional on the calendar in the magazine....

StephenB
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
If you include ITR then I will go, I would love to take my ITR car on that track! I will not drive out with my ITB car.

Keep us posted! and PLEASE post when the registration is up so we can avoid that waiting list :)
Stephen

shwah
05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
This is on my radar. Might suit my schedule restrictions this year.

Eagle7
05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
This is on my radar. Might suit my schedule restrictions this year.
+1.

dj10
05-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd try and make that one too.

RacerBill
05-22-2011, 01:14 AM
+2

dj10
05-26-2011, 10:23 AM
i can't believe that ITR is a SCCA Nationally recogonized IT class and that we are being discriminated against!

StephenB
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
i can't believe that ITR is a SCCA Nationally recogonized IT class and that we are being discriminated against!

I am not sure if it is discrimination but I would love to know the reasoning behind it. Just doesn't make sense to me :( Someone somewhere in that area must know the facts... maybe they will post here?

Stephen

dj10
05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I see another Ohio region listing a restriced race @ MO that includes every IT class including ITE and STL but NO ITR......HEY WTF OVER!!

jumbojimbo
06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I see another Ohio region listing a restriced race @ MO that includes every IT class including ITE and STL but NO ITR......HEY WTF OVER!!

Perhaps another oversight but WOR bent over backward to fix their event to include ITR, including the enduro. And got a big fat zero ITR cars.

jumbojimbo
06-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Any word on the schedule for this event? Cost, track time, format?

The ITC group is planning our fall event schedule. It would be fun to catch a glimpse of McDreamy's butt in the MO shower, but not sure it will be worth it if we're getting limited track time and paddocking out in the boondocks. It might be better use of our time to run one of the full doubles or the quad.

StephenB
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Perhaps another oversight but WOR bent over backward to fix their event to include ITR, including the enduro. And got a big fat zero ITR cars.

I don't understand? Why did they have to bend over backwards in the first place? Is it a concern on the speed difference or does someone just not like ITR?

I hope that they understand the longer they wait the more ITR people will choose to do other events. I would have put this as a "must do race" if it was on my calender. I took it off when I found out I wasn't allowed to go. Adding it into my financial plan and my vacation time at work may make it an event I can no longer go to... So basically get on them to approve ITR sooner than later!!!

Stephen
ITR RX8

dj10
06-09-2011, 08:15 AM
"I hope that they understand the longer they wait the more ITR people will choose to do other events. So basically get on them to approve ITR sooner than later!!!"

I with you Stephen....there is still a bad economy out here and if I don't make a race that is probably the reason, that doesn't mean some other ITR's won't come if it's advertised properly.

Rabbit05
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I always wanted to run Mid-Ohio..! I am definitely interested in this event..very cool to run with the Grand Am weekend. I wish something like this could be done for Lime Rock Park and/or Watkins Glen.. :023: Ill' definitely have to see if I have $$ left in my budget for this one.

dj10
07-09-2011, 07:54 AM
If OVR is excluding ITR from their restricted regionals there is NO reason for any ITR car to do ANY OVR events.

downingracing
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Matt - OVR Board Member: Leaving ITR off the entry for the restricted regional during the double national was an oversight. Recent changes to the GCR make correcting a mistake like that easier in the future. There are currently 'hoops' to jump thru to correct something like that and it isn't an easy process. We are working on the process to ensure we do not make this mistake again - when we include ITE, ITR should be included as well.

Matt - Race Chair/Committee: For a restricted regional race weekend, decisions are made as to which classes to include. There are many factors that go into that decision. (And as happened, sometimes mistakes are made) A restricted regional can't always include all regional classes. The decisions are not always popular with everyone - Can't make all the people happy all the time. It is a balance and all the folks volunteering to make these events happen are doing what they feel are in the best interest of the club and the racers.

StephenB
07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
It can be done if someone wanted it badly enough to volenteer and jump through those hoops. Even after the supps I think it can be added.

I hope they include ITR next year and if informed early enough I will make the trip!

Stephen

On a side note I think SCCA is supporting ALMS going forward...

jumbojimbo
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Schedule is up

Friday Sept 16, 2011
5:00 PM Mandatory Driver's Meeting
5:45 PM - 6:15 PM 30 Minute Timed Practice
Saturday, September 17th , 2011
9:20 AM - 9:50 AM 30 Minute Qualifying for Sunday's first race TIMED
SUNDAY, September 18th, 2011
9:00 AM - 9:45 AM 13 Lap Qualifying Race
12 NOON - 12:45 PM 15 Lap Qualifying Race
2:45 PM - 3:30 PM 19 Lap Trophy Race

I'd be all over it if it were a double or a triple. But 2 qualifying races? If a qualifying race is like kissing your sister the two qualifying races must be like getting to second base.

One of the ITC guys is lobbying for it, but I'd prefer to do the two MO double regionals, I can't do all three. ITC race would get hammered by S,A,B and SM cars in that group.

downingracing
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Schedule is up

Friday Sept 16, 2011
5:00 PM Mandatory Driver's Meeting
5:45 PM - 6:15 PM 30 Minute Timed Practice
Saturday, September 17th , 2011
9:20 AM - 9:50 AM 30 Minute Qualifying for Sunday's first race TIMED
SUNDAY, September 18th, 2011
9:00 AM - 9:45 AM 13 Lap Qualifying Race
12 NOON - 12:45 PM 15 Lap Qualifying Race
2:45 PM - 3:30 PM 19 Lap Trophy Race

I'd be all over it if it were a double or a triple. But 2 qualifying races? If a qualifying race is like kissing your sister the two qualifying races must be like getting to second base.

One of the ITC guys is lobbying for it, but I'd prefer to do the two MO double regionals, I can't do all three. ITC race would get hammered by S,A,B and SM cars in that group.

If you're in it for the season points race - I get it and agree. But if you're in it for fun and track time (race time), can't beat it. The amount of track time for the entry fee on top of the pro races during the weekend... Doesn't get much better than that! Race, short break, race, short break and 'the' race all on Sunday! Jam packed day after enjoying time (2 days) at the track with friends and tons of racing!

Hope to see you there!

RacerBill
07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Is there going to be a dedicated paddock for us SCCA teams?

downingracing
07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
From the supps:

11. The PADDOCK will be marked for SCCA, and will be in the upper grassy area; this is the only place you may paddock.

Eagle7
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I assume our driver/crew credentials give us full access to the facility all weekend.

ITA_honda
07-21-2011, 11:25 AM
From the supps:

11. The PADDOCK will be marked for SCCA, and will be in the upper grassy area; this is the only place you may paddock.

The PADDOCK will be marked for SCCA, and will be in the upper grassy area; this is the only place you may paddock.

The PADDOCK for Downings party Friday and Saturday night will be marked for DOWNING PARTY SCCA, and will be in the upper grassy area; this is the only place you may party :D

924Guy
07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Campfires and scooter tricks too?!? :D

RacerBill
07-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Campfires and scooter tricks too?!? :D

I know NOTHING!!!! Col. Hogan.

On a serious note, please arrange for a couple of clean Polish space capsules up there in the boondocks. Thanks.

924Guy
07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I know NOTHING!!!! Sgt. Schultz./QUOTE]

Fixed that for ya. ;)

[QUOTE=RacerBill;325264]On a serious note, please arrange for a couple of clean Polish space capsules up there in the boondocks. Thanks.

Huh? I'm not familiar with that term... care to edumacate me? :blink:

dhardison
07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I know NOTHING!!!! Sgt. Schultz.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Huh? I'm not familiar with that term... care to edumacate me? :blink:

Polish space capsule = a "pop" tent :)

R2 Racing
08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Registration for this event is open and entries are rolling in!

For years and years, I've seen on various forums "It would be so cool if Grand-Am/ALMS would run a IT group as a support race for one of their events!" Well guys, here's your chance - Mid Ohio's 40th anniversary, SCCA's 25th anniversary of IT racing, and the chance to run your IT or SM car during a huge pro weekend. The track is awesome, the price is cheap, and who knows if you'll ever get another chance to do something like this! Keep in mind that with your entry, you'll also be getting three "crew passes" for the entire Grand-Am weekend - weekend general admission is $40 for the public. This is the last event of the year for both the Rolex Series and the Continental Challenge Series, so you'll also get to see their champions crowned. We have also been promised a specially reserved paddock area for our competitors, so no worries about trying to find a spot.

Entries for this event is going to be capped around 65, and we're already up to 26, so get those entries in!

Knestis
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Bummer. Schedule won't allow it as work expanded into that weekend. Yeah, I said "weekend."

Very sad after the fun I had at the Fest.

K

RacerBill
08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Polish space capsule = a "poop" tent :)

There, fixed that one back.

My original comment should have been - "I know NOTHING!!!! Col. Hogan." (added quotation marks!).

downingracing
08-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Lets keep going! Get those entries in - Where are you going to get this kind of track time for such a small entry?!?!?! No ITC cars entered yet - One entry could win the class! :smilie_pokal: And SM - Where are you guys at?

This is a spectator weekend - your sponsors will LOVE you for getting their name in front of crowds of folks who are into racing!!

downingracing
09-08-2011, 08:12 PM
38 entries and not a single ITC car entered... Still time to get entered - Contact the registrar to have the late fee waived. (Race chair told me it would be waived)

I can't believe this event doesn't have 50+ cars entered. You won't get this kind of track time for only $250! And on a spectator weekend. Actually being able to show that those stickers on your car were seen by spectators could make those tax write-offs (advertising) actually legit!!! :D

mtownneon
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
What are these "sponsors" you speak of? It is surprising that there aren't more entries, I'd be there if it weren't for the lack of money, a working engine, set of tires that aren't dry-rotted......

Eagle7
09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Entries for this event is going to be capped around 65, and we're already up to 26, so get those entries in!
I don't see a Ruck on the entry list - put up or shut up :D

jumbojimbo
09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't see a Ruck on the entry list - put up or shut up :D

He has a conflict with the runoffs. The runoffs group schedule changed and I think he has to be on track Monday now.

Knestis
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Stop it, Matt - you're making me sad.

K

downingracing
09-09-2011, 03:34 PM
New tires arrived today. Getting those Hankooks mounted this weekend and the car ready to go. Got new brakes as well, so should be able to go AND stop!

Eagle7
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM
He has a conflict with the runoffs. The runoffs group schedule changed and I think he has to be on track Monday now.
Screwed up priorities :018:

Well, in any case - go Ruck!

ITA_honda
09-10-2011, 08:16 AM
New tires arrived today. Getting those Hankooks mounted this weekend and the car ready to go. Got new brakes as well, so should be able to go AND stop!

New brakes too? Matt I am impressed!:D

R2 Racing
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah, my Runoffs schedule got changed, so instead of having a 1:30pm session to make at Road America on Monday, I know have a 8am session to make. That just made everything a little too rediculous to make work, so I had to punt on the Grand-Am weekend. Sucks, as the IT side of me has been waiting 10 years for an event like this to happen, but the Prod side of me knows what's really important at the moment. So that being said, I'll still be at Mid Ohio all weekend through Saturday night, but leaving for Road America ~8am Sunday morning for an ~3pm arrival.

Eagle7
09-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Wuss - there's plenty of time to drive RA after Sunday's race :D

BTW, my money's on you at the Runoffs - you were looking SO strong at Grattan until that last lap.

Racerlinn
09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
New brakes too? Matt I am impressed!:D

You two need to stay away from each other (and Miata's) on the start...

Sorry I am missing it. :(

(I did at least get my transmission put back together last night.)

dhardison
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Anyone know if they'll let us in the gate late Thursday afternoon and allow us to stay the night inside?

924Guy
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Sucks, as the IT side of me has been waiting 10 years for an event like this to happen, but...

^this. :(

I'll be at Road America too...

downingracing
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Anyone know if they'll let us in the gate late Thursday afternoon and allow us to stay the night inside?

Yes. No registration until Friday morning, but we will be able to get in the gate and setup 'home' for the weekend. I've got an allignment appointment for 5pm Thursday and will be at the track after that.

See you all there!

ITA_honda
09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
You two need to stay away from each other (and Miata's) on the start...

Sorry I am missing it. :(

(I did at least get my transmission put back together last night.)

Steve - We still need to see your in car video. I think we just need to stay away from Miata's period:o

Racerlinn
09-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Steve - We still need to see your in car video. I think we just need to stay away from Miata's period:o

Right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npGVJfNvUk8

I didn't know you two got together until after the race - I was too busy trying to miss the Miata.

ITA_honda
09-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for posting. Thats the video Downing and I were looking for.
Holy bump drafting Batman! :D You're car has some serious torque!

It appears that the white Miata may have locked his brakes? (cause you can see the car get goofy under braking) Hit Matt and that turned him to the right and in to me. He cought my left front fender/bumper which cut his right front tire. Bummer.

But thats hard, tight, and close racing!

Racerlinn
09-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm a popular guy to have behind you on a start.... :)

ITA_honda
09-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm a popular guy to have behind you on a start.... :)

I see that.:eclipsee_steering:
The offer stands, if you are ever directly behind me on a start you are more than welcome to give me a shove. It would be greatly appreciated :D You know, since Honda's dont have any torque :p

downingracing
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm going to take the blame for that contact. I definately moved over and thought I had him cleared. The overlap couldn't have been more than inches if there was any overlap... Knowing the folks you race with had its advantages - if that had been someone I run with all the time, they would have cut me that few inches of slack and everything would have been fine. I've cut that much (and more) slack to folks and will do so still in the future. Sorry it happened and glad your car (Greg) didn't get any worse damage. Also glad Steve didn't get caught up in that mess (or potemtial mess)...

Hopefully things go better this weekend! I will miss having Steve behind me for that 'push' at the start!! :)

Racerlinn
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
I think the "SpecMiata" factor was also in play. They give no room as they can't afford to (in many of those drivers minds). The ITA guys can and will because our different cars do different things in different places. I think he could have probably avoided you. But didn't. And if I had ended up hitting him, I most certainly would have had an "entertaining" conversation with him.

Racerlinn
09-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I see that.:eclipsee_steering:
The offer stands, if you are ever directly behind me on a start you are more than welcome to give me a shove. It would be greatly appreciated You know, since Honda's dont have any torque

Just don't expect it every time... :)

Matt and I had discussed this beforehand. I was half a beat behind on the gas at the green so my best bet was to go with him anyway.
I had to feather the throttle before the push...gutless Honduhs... :)

dhardison
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Do you think if I cut the 'hatch' off my Civic they'd let me run with the ARCA trucks this weekend?

Let's see....... SCCA = $250 entry and a trophy "if" you podium.

ARCA trucks = $75 entry and ...... Racing Purse Breakdown: 1st-$1,000, 2nd-$600, 3rd-$550, 4th-$525, 5th-$500, 6th-$480, 7th-$460, 8th-$440, 9th-$420, 10th-$400, 11th-$390, 12th-$375, 13th-$360, 14th-$345, 15th-$330, 16th-$315, 17th-$275, 18th-$275, 19th-$260, 20th-$260, 21st-$250, 22nd-$250, 23rd-$250, 24th-$250.

So, hell if I come in last I'm money ahead. :happy204:

Eagle7
09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
From my spot on the grid, best racing weekend of my life. Fantastic battles all three races. Cool to watch the pros too. Thanks for putting on this event.

ITA_honda
09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Do you think if I cut the 'hatch' off my Civic they'd let me run with the ARCA trucks this weekend?

Let's see....... SCCA = $250 entry and a trophy "if" you podium.

ARCA trucks = $75 entry and ...... Racing Purse Breakdown: 1st-$1,000, 2nd-$600, 3rd-$550, 4th-$525, 5th-$500, 6th-$480, 7th-$460, 8th-$440, 9th-$420, 10th-$400, 11th-$390, 12th-$375, 13th-$360, 14th-$345, 15th-$330, 16th-$315, 17th-$275, 18th-$275, 19th-$260, 20th-$260, 21st-$250, 22nd-$250, 23rd-$250, 24th-$250.

So, hell if I come in last I'm money ahead. :happy204:

Thats the benefit of doing circle track stuff, you always gain a purse

RacerBill
09-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Thats the benefit of doing circle track stuff, you always gain a purse

But they pay more for each and EVERY crew member.

wally2
10-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone care to post their in-car video of the race?

downingracing
10-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Working on it... Been busy with work, but may have something posted by the weekend, but probably after the weekend (and race @ M-O!).

downingracing
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Quick clip (2) from the weekend. Tons of video and these are just 2 quick ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEuJySrebG0

Eagle7
10-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Is there any plan to put this event up on mylaps?

Racerlinn
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Matt, didn't I warn you to stay away from the Miata's? Nice miss! :)

downingracing
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Matt, didn't I warn you to stay away from the Miata's? Nice miss! :)

Had a BLAST running with the Miatas (shocking I know!). And didn't miss... :( Just turned out way better than it should have.