PDA

View Full Version : "Bumpers"

rlward
03-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I would like to know if it is acceptable to remove the bumpers in IT. Not only the bumpers in early cars the were attached to the outside of the bodywork, but also the bumper structure that is under the bumper cover in newer cars. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks

jimbbski
03-02-2011, 11:56 PM
By the rules you can't change or remove any part of the bumpers. Not allowed. On some older cars this can be a problem as some of the parts are no longer available to replace damaged or missing parts.

I have tried to keep my bumpers stock as best as i can but I ended up using some screws to hold the front bumper cover to the steel support beam as 90% of the plastic tabs that should hold it on are broken off. I also glued the filler strips on as well as some of the stock attachment are gone too.

Andy Bettencourt
03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I would like to know if it is acceptable to remove the bumpers in IT. Not only the bumpers in early cars the were attached to the outside of the bodywork, but also the bumper structure that is under the bumper cover in newer cars. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks

The rulebook?

joeg
03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Simply put--Not acceptable.

CRallo
03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Assuming you were looking in the GCR, the fact that you could not find it actually gives you your answer... Number one rule in IT: if it doesn't say you can do it, you can't.

rlward
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
GCR page 392 is where the confusion is. The "Note" mentions the removal of the underlying bumper structure. It seems if you can't remove the under structure, there would be no need for the note. It mentions with the bumper removed.

dhardison
03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
If you're referring to section 9.1.3.D.8.b (Body/Structure) and the associated note:

NOTE: Integrated bumper assemblies are defined as those
designs where an external non-metallic bumper cover
completely encloses the primary energy-absorbing bumper
and where this cover could be installed in its normal position
with the underlying bumper removed. On cars with integrated
bumpers, the front spoiler or airdam may be attached to the
bumper cover.

That note is doing nothing more than defining an "integrated bumper assembly" as it directly relates to attachment of a front spoiler/air dam. This has nothing to do with removal of the external bumper cover or the underlying metal bumper structure. It's just a definition.

lateapex911
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Not confusing if it is taken in context. The entire paragraph 9.1.3.D.8.b is dealing with air dams. It discusses the restrictions on sizing, and in so doing breaks bumpers into two categories. The paragraph you refer to is describing the definition of an "integrated bumper assembly", and offers that such a bumper is one that has a cover over the actual energy absorbing mechanism, and that the cover COULD be mounted if the underlying parts were not installed. It's just an aid to differentiating such a bumper from a old school standard bumper, that has a chrome (usually) bar mounted on the actual shocks and without the shocks and such, the bumper part would be lying on the ground. The allowable airdam sizing differs based on the category of bumper, hence the need to define them.

So, it's not, in any way, suggesting that bumpers or any component of a bumper is removable.

Dan types faster....

dhardison
03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
....Dan types faster....:)

Yeah, but I like your explanation better. :023:

dickita15
03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
:)

Yeah, but I like your explanation better. :023:

you want it fast or do you want it right :D