PDA

View Full Version : STU wheel width limitation

JIgou
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Greg, quick question on the STU wheel width limitation. Being in red in the GCR, I know that it's new this year....so maybe the discussion happened when I wasn't paying attention... :D

With our new ITR hooptie, I can run up to a 17x8.5 wheel. I know I can legally run it with those wheels as an "ITR in STU" car....but if at some point in the future we go further off the deep end and decide to go full-on STU (or, more probable, halfway there which would allow us to play with some wings and splitters) we would have to downsize those wheels....which, of course, isn't really that attractive.

I guess my question is this: Is this an adjustment I should request, or was the STU width limit hashed out previously when I wasn't paying attention and the decision is set in stone?

Jarrod

Greg Amy
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Jarrod, I was not part of the committee when the wheel widths were set, so I don't know the basis of the numbers.

You can always make a request, but honestly I'd suggest we'll want to let the class shake out before we make too many rules changes. But, it could be good fodder for discussion.

GA

JIgou
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I can certainly understand wanting to let the rules settle a bit before tweaking anything....and we're not TOO serious about jumping to that level yet. I'll probably throw something over the wall to give y'all something to discuss though.

It's not like I'll be asking for a new mutiplier for ITB or anything. :D

Lael Cleland
03-05-2011, 08:38 PM
It's not like I'll be asking for a new mutiplier for ITB or anything. :D

HA HA Good one Jarrod!

Matt93SE
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
It's worth a shot.. they're obviously in the mood to let bigger engines into the "under 3L" class, so why not ask for wider wheels as well? ;)

It certainly can't hurt to ask and I'd love me some 9" wheels..

Mrsideways
03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
That was my request to allow a larger wheel for cars that can't achieve min weight. My thought was allow a modifer to the engine displacement of .05 for every 1/2 inch wider you want to go. This would allow a 2.2L with a 9 inch wheel to weigh 2640lbs instead of 2420lbs with a 8 inch wheel. This would only help those cars that can't get to min weight. Cause a BMW 330 would be 3960lbs with 9 inch wheels. If you think about it it might now even help much as the 9inch wheel is heavier to turn and causes more drag. It might not do anything.
But I hope it doesn't get changed now... I just bought a 2nd set of wheels.

Matt93SE
03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a wider wheel overall. I have a friend locally that has an STi that's prepped for STU, and he burns up a set of Hoosiers on the back of his car in a race. That's got to get $$$.

I'm still just running R888 takeoffs, but I can make a set of 235/40/17s greasy in about 5 laps with my ~130whp. I'd hate to see what happens when I get closer to the power/weight the class is built around.

Mrsideways
03-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a wider wheel overall. I have a friend locally that has an STi that's prepped for STU, and he burns up a set of Hoosiers on the back of his car in a race. That's got to get $$$.

I'm still just running R888 takeoffs, but I can make a set of 235/40/17s greasy in about 5 laps with my ~130whp. I'd hate to see what happens when I get closer to the power/weight the class is built around.

I was planning on making a set of A6's run both sebring nationals before I had car trouble. I qualified on old garbage tires but I'm extremely happy with the tire wear coming from a Showroom Stock car. I wanted the Wider wheels as a hope to close the gap of 5-6 seconds to the World Challenge cars.