PDA

View Full Version : Baseline Set-up for ITB MkII Jetta

S2_ITBVW
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I hope everyone is having a fine end to the winter . . . At least I hope we are close to the end!

We are making good progress and it is time to think about the baseline set-up for the race car. I don't expect any of you to give away your top secret stuff, but I would appreciate it very much if you could provide me with a general starting point for Camber and Toe settings. I will be adjusting these with a pyrometer after I have the opportunity to measure tire temps, but want a reasonable set-up for driving "out of the box."

Thanks!

Dave

Sandro
02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
What tires you using?

S2_ITBVW
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
To get started I am going to use Kumho. I have heard that Hoosiers are stickier, so I will try them somewhere along the way. Kumho has the nifty congingency program this year, so I'm going to use the free stickers they are handing out and see how they do . . . :D

Of course, any tire advice would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sandro
03-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Kumho Victoracer or the V710?

If the V710, look at this thread before ruining a set of tires: http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19638&highlight=kumho

No experience with the V710, but with victoracers I would start here:
For toe I would suggest about 1/16" out for the front and 0 for the rear, when you get more comfortable you can add a little toe out in the rear. If you have poly or oem bushings in the front, maybe add a little more toe out.

For camber in the front it depends on the amount of caster you have. If you have the stock caster I would start at about -2*, and then check temperatures after your first session.

Rear camber about -1.5*

Flyinglizard
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I set camber to the track. If all turns are to the right, I use about 3*lF camber and maybe 1.5 RF camber . If the track is more "square" or a major left leads to the main staright, I set up for the main turn leading to the straight.
For baseline, set the fronts @ 3* and the rear @ about 1-2*.
3mm toe out both ends.
If you really want to go faster, take a look at my book. The dynamic rear steer(DRS) works very well and is Mk 2 and Mk 3-4 specific( extensive Mk 2 testing). It helps a ton to get some dynamic loading off of the outer front tire. It pays for itself in tire wear and speed.
HTH, have fun, MM

S2_ITBVW
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
First, thanks for all of the feedback. It is interesting to see how many different set-ups there are! I have a good idea where to begin and will make adjustments based on the track and tire temps.

One thing I have decided to do is run Hankook 205/55 R14 tires. The feedback on these seems to be really positive and they are very cost effective.

Thanks again for the help!

Dave