PDA

View Full Version : Splitters

anthony1k
02-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Rule states:

STO and STU:

The front splitter must not extend more than 2.0 inches past the original, or approved, bodywork as viewed from above for the entire profile of the splitter. The splitters shall not extend laterally any further than the widest point of the outside sidewall of the front tires with the wheels pointed straight ahead, and the “dry” set-up on the car. Additionally, the splitters may not extend more than 50.8mm (2.0 inches) beyond the bodywork, regardless of where the outside edges of the front tires are. The splitter shall consist of a single flat plane. The splitter shall have no may have vertical deviations, fences, etc., unless only if they are part of the production bodywork for street use.

I’m trying to understand this rule, especially the first sentence about the forward width of the splitter. So let’s say that the highest point of the front bodywork of my car sticks out 1.0 inch further than the lowest point. Does this mean that I can have a splitter that is 3.0 inches wide? Any opinions?

Greg Amy
02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech will drop a plumb line from the widest part of the overall outline of the car; your splitter cannot extend more than 2" past that plumb line.

What happens inside that plumb line is of no concern to Tech.

anthony1k
02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech will drop a plumb line from the widest part of the overall outline of the car; your splitter cannot extend more than 2" past that plumb line.

My understanding is same. Thanks

Chip42
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Other than he rest of the rule, where you cannot add canards/kickups/etc...("vertical deviations, fences, etc...")

Greg Amy
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I concur. I was being simplistic, referring to only the splitter part.