PDA

View Full Version : Koni Competition Struts/shocks

RacerBill
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
I am looking for a set of Koni competition struts and shocks for my 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger. Anyone know where some might be lying around??????

RacerBill
02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
OK, just found out that the only Koni's that are available for the Shelby were the orange street versions. How about those? Anyone have a lead?

Matt Rowe
02-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Bill they are getting harder to find. The last time I heard of Koni making a batch was 5+ years ago and it was one of those "this is the last run we are making" situations. You could try Cindy at FWD Performance a call (www.fwdperformance.com (http://www.fwdperformance.com/)) it looks like she might have some sets stored away or possibly she can set you up with a used set to rebuild.

If you really can't find anything you can have a generic brand of l-body struts sent in and they can convert them. The advantage there is you can get them valved for a much higher spring rate then the original Konis. I would have to check the exact spring rates on my shelby but we settled on rates around 800 front / 650 rear which is much too stiff for the normal valving. In that respect a cheap used set that need to be rebuilt are an advantage if you find them.

RacerBill
02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks, Matt. I spoke to Matt Green a couple of days ago. Spring rates seem about what I would expect. Sounds like I might have to purchase a new set and have them revalved.

RacerBill
03-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Well, I sourced the Koni's. Will have to contact the supplier to verify max spring rates to get springs. I asked which length I should get 7" or 8". Any suggestions? Also, I contacted Ground Control about a set of camber plates for the front - they don't have anything specific for the Shelby, but said that the closest thing might be something for a VW of the same era. Again, any suggestions? Thanks.