PDA

View Full Version : VIR - March Memories

JeffYoung
02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
One ITS TR8 with revised rear suspension, a pimpy new Burns exhaust, a new MS3 computer with sequential injection, and one hell of an IT legal tow strap is IN.

Who else?

SPiFF
02-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I am still trying. No motor yet. The big GA freeze put the machine shop a little behind.

Greg Amy
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I just saw some shingles on my roof today for the first time in about two months...yesterday I spent a couple hours shoveling snow off my pool.

Yes, I said "off my pool"; it's a five-foot-thick solid block of round ice that is threatening to take the whole thing down (it's already damaged the skimmer).

Out.

preparedcivic
02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
VIR is a bucket list track and this event has been penciled in for months.

Except, I have similar issues as tGA. The trailer, with car inside of it, is entombed in a 2' to 3' deep glacier of solid ice 100' from the driveway. It was 50 degrees here today, and might have melted 0.1" off. At that rate it will take until April to be gone.

So I'm still planning on going, but won't know for sure until closer to the date. Hopefully Mother Nature will stay hot and not return cold as a witch's tit.

JeffYoung
02-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Come on down, look forward to meeting you Rob.

Jeff

SPiFF
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Word from Blake, no motor by VIR. :(

You will just have to wait a little longer to feel the full VTEC wrath!

preparedcivic
02-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Come on down, look forward to meeting you Rob.

Jeff

Same here Jeff. Though I'll be bringing my own beer; no PBR swill for me. :birra:

RedMisted
02-15-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm in the same boat as the other northerners. If the weather cooperates, I'll be there!

JeffYoung
02-15-2011, 08:47 AM
It's the High Life my friend! The best America has to offer.

Actually, the Pagoda has a pretty decent micro called Oak Tree Ale or some such.

Same here Jeff. Though I'll be bringing my own beer; no PBR swill for me. :birra:

RedMisted
02-15-2011, 09:23 AM
If I brought and served my area's specialty brew, Great Lakes Brewing Company's "Christmas Ale," you guys would never shut up about it, and then you would. Fast. It's held to such high esteem among connoiseurs and is so potent that it is only available in the last six weeks of the year!

I once had a couple bottles of the stuff on top of a couple piddling light beers. Knocked me on my *ss! I told the bartender: "Don't you EVER serve me that stuff again, NO matter how much I BEG for it!" :D

preparedcivic
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
It's the High Life my friend! The best America has to offer.

I knew it was some brewski right above Milwaukee's Best on the beer chain.

This thread did provoke me to give a kick to the ice bank alongside the driveway this morning. It was a revelation: the solid ice on top has in fact melted and now instead of glacier I can best describe conditions as "snow cone" material. :026:

Ron Earp
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Young on his first SARRC win! Nice job and I think there will be many more to come.

I hate I missed the weekend and I saw more than a few cars come in on wreckers, including a new ITS racer, Mr. Ed Palombo who had some trouble in T10. I think he'll be back on track though in a few months.

pballance
03-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Way to go Jeff. Can't wait to hear the story!!

JeffYoung
03-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Not much too it. Only 4 S cars with Zsolt and Ron (and others) out.

Chuck Hines got the ITS pole as I struggled a bit with the new rear end, and a tire pressure mess up (45 hot doesn't work, trust me). I was about 1 second off though so I felt pretty good about the race once I got that issue sorted.

Chuck got dinged in qual though for being underweight and had to start in the back. But, we didn't ahve a big group, and Chuck is fast, so I knew I might see him.

Lo and behold, first lap, he makes it up to 4th overall and just one car behind me. Next lap he gets around 3rd overall and is about 1/3 of the backstraight behind me.

I just put my head down and turned out some what felt like pretty consistent laps (my traqmate is on the blink again) and the gap increased. I ended up winning by 16 seconds or so, and the car made it back in with zero issues, all of its brake fluid and a reasonable amount of pad left.

Many thanks to Ron for all of the help over the years on getting this car reliable and fast. Much appreciated.

CMP will be much more of a real test of what I have. Steve P. will be there, Chuck I'm sure will want another crack at the Turd8, Ron's car should be done and I hope Steve E. will bring out Trainwreck one last time.

Should be fun.

Charles Perry
03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Good job Jeff! Wish I was there. Any videos?

CRallo
03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Congrats Jeff! way to go! I heard that thing sounded awesome, I can't wait to hear it myself!

Tristan Smith
03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Good Job Jeff. Hope there are many more to come!

CRallo
03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
How was the ITR show? I'm assuming that was an ITR car that finished first overall ahead of Jeff...

And speaking of which, How's that Nissan looking for this year Tristan? was that you?

SPiFF
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I heard it was an ITA Miata ...... :D:D:D

cooleyjb
03-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I think it was Ricky Thompson who didn't seem to check out from Jeff but had a comfortable gap. I wasn't paying too much attention. Just would look up when I heard the howl coming out of hogpen.

Andy Bettencourt
03-14-2011, 11:04 PM
In the CCPS, Ricky and a Type R had a good battle for some laps until Ricky stretched it out. In the SARRC, Ricky led from T1 and had no trouble with the overall win. Jeff 2nd overall. ITS RX-7 3rd and 240SX ITA 4th.

Bryan88
03-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Way to go Jeff !!!!!......Those SARRC races are very hard to win.......

Parrish57
03-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Way to go Jeff!!! Bring that monster on down to Kershaw. We'll try to change your winning ways!:)

Tristan Smith
03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
How was the ITR show? I'm assuming that was an ITR car that finished first overall ahead of Jeff...

And speaking of which, How's that Nissan looking for this year Tristan? was that you?

Nope not me. Driveline still in pieces. I hope to finally get the differential back together this weekend. Fingers crossed.

I had to buy a "Brand New in a pretty box" transmission from Nissan Motorsports. I simply could not find the parts I needed to rebuild the old one. While not cheap, it ended up only costing me a few hundred bucks more than what I would have paid to rebuild the other one.

The engine.....well, thats 7 months and counting.........I figure I'll see it by the end of this month.....but then again I thought it would have been back in the car three months ago.

This thing is getting incredibly expensive.

Hotshoe
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Young on his first SARRC win! Nice job and I think there will be many more to come.

Ditto......... Congratulations Jeff:smilie_pokal:

I was also glad to finally meet Andy Bettencourt. It's always good to put a face with a name. I have been looking forward to meeting him for years and got the opportunity this weekend at VIR .....

CRallo
03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
240SX ITA 4th.

Sweet!

Who was that? Elrich? Who else has one still? Edit: I answered my own question...

CRallo
03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
I heard it was an ITA Miata ...... :D:D:D

There are a couple of tracks where I would believe that... lol

CRallo
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
...I hope Steve E. will bring out Trainwreck one last time. ...

explain por favor :)

Andy Bettencourt
03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
ITR Podium and awesome ITA 240SX.

CRallo
03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
ITR Podium and awesome ITA 240SX.

Very sharp! and apparently it scoots too! :) I'm gonna have to look up Neil...

Gary Gentry
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Congratulations on your win, Jeff......

Gary Gentry
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Congratulations to Ricky T. for the CCPS ITR win on Saturday.....who let that Accura "keep him honest" for only so long....and for his SARRC ITR win on Sunday...good job! And glad to know that the black 99 is making ya' smile these days.

JeffYoung
03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks gentlemen.

Drive(s) of the weekend to me were Andy in the ECR, Robert Mitchell just nipping Blair Stitt in IT7 in the CCPS and Rick in the CCPS and the battle with the Acura.

Looking forward to CMP and a full ITS field.

seckerich
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
explain por favor :)

Trainwreck is the ITS RX7 I bought so some freinds and I could run the 13 hour a few years back. Put my driveline in and hit the track. It has 3 gallons of bondo, 3 quarts of interior latex paint on the inside, and has been wrecked more than any car deserves with its previous owners. It was the second Speedsource car they built in the 90"s. The front frame rails flex and buckle when you jack it up it has been pulled so many times. I lost a braking dual to A certain TR8 at VIR it was jumping sideways so bad. :rolleyes: Sold all my nice cars to others so it was the only S car I had left the last 2 years. Just too ugly (the car) to keep racing. :D

JeffYoung
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I seem to remember you winning that duel actually....lol...

Have you heard anything from Mr. McCandless? Ron sent him a couple of texts but no word back.....hope he is ok.

Trainwreck is the ITS RX7 I bought so some freinds and I could run the 13 hour a few years back. Put my driveline in and hit the track. It has 3 gallons of bondo, 3 quarts of interior latex paint on the inside, and has been wrecked more than any car deserves with its previous owners. It was the second Speedsource car they built in the 90"s. The front frame rails flex and buckle when you jack it up it has been pulled so many times. I lost a braking dual to A certain TR8 at VIR it was jumping sideways so bad. :rolleyes: Sold all my nice cars to others so it was the only S car I had left the last 2 years. Just too ugly (the car) to keep racing. :D

seckerich
03-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Have not spoken with him lately. He said he was getting the old black car ready to run, and Mike Lacombe is going to be back out racing the old Yellow car this year. Both the EP cars went to Lou Pardi in Greenville and he is racing the white one. Should have the new RX done for Memorial Monster so enjoy next weekend.

CRallo
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Haha, I LOVE it! Wow, AND its got history... Sounds like a hoot!