PDA

View Full Version : Shell Racing Fuel and Q Racing Oil

23racer
01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I met with the distributors of the subject products at a Car Show up here on the weekend. They are both new products coming into the Canadian marketplace and I have no knowledge of the products other than the information I was given by them. Has anybody had any experience with their products?

I like the fact that the fuel octane is reached without any oxygenaters (is that even a word?) and has the consistency that sometimes is lacking with the smaller regional brands. I also like the fact that Shell has spent a ton of time working in the Le Mans Series and in F1 and knows how to do the job. For the oils, I like the grades being offered and the marketing, but I know nothing about the oil as it has not been available in Canada before. For a benchmark, how does it compare to Redline. In looking at their information, it seems to be stable to above 250 degrees, which makes it very interesting to me.

I know the fuel is out of the norm for IT runners, but you never know and the oil should have some exposure. I just want to find out as I will need to import both and I don't want to bring in a 55 gallon drum if is only the same or worse than Sunoco and VP. The oils seem like they are very interesting with the reduced aeration and temp stability, so comments please.

Eric

Russ Myers
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
If the Q means Quaker State, I wouldn't use that crap if they were giving it away. I'll Pay dearly for Valvoline or Castrol before that crap goes in any of my engines.

Russ

Dano77
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Jeff Gordon likes the Q stuff. He also likes to get paid. Stay with Redline or even Amsoil if available

Matt93SE
01-25-2011, 01:08 AM
If the Q means Quaker State, I wouldn't use that crap if they were giving it away. I'll Pay dearly for Valvoline or Castrol before that crap goes in any of my engines.

Russ

Nice intelligent response. Care to explain why you feel that way?

JohnRW
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Oatmeal trauma when young ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2c/SNrs6zhVZsI/AAAAAAAAdAQ/XicAG2KXpaE/s400/Quaker-Oats-Man(1).jpg

23racer
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I appreciate the efforts so far, but it would help if anybody has actually used the oil and could comment. The conversations that we had led me to believe that the oil is 100% synthetic and designed specifically for racing applications with high temperature capabilities. My RX7 doesn't really need this as I have the oil temps under control. The Cougar has always peaked at 250 degrees and that concerns me.

I believe that Redline and Motul have solutions for me and this Q Racing oil comes out of left field and I know nothing about it at all.

Eric

23racer
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I found a great article in Race Tech Magazine that answered most of my questions. I will still need to test them out to confirm.

Thanks,

Eric

Russ Myers
01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
My comments come from being an auto mechanic for over 35 years. Quaker State and to a slightly lesser extent, Pennzoil, will sludge up in an engine faster that you can imagine. the oil in question will break down under high heat and pressure faster than any other oil. I have no imperical data on this finding, no hard facts, just years of working on customer's engines. Yes, I know other oils will do this when not changed properly, it's just that I've scooped "Q" out with a spoon from engines that I have all the records on.

Russ

CRallo
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
My comments come from being an auto mechanic for over 35 years. Quaker State and to a slightly lesser extent, Pennzoil, will sludge up in an engine faster that you can imagine. the oil in question will break down under high heat and pressure faster than any other oil. I have no imperical data on this finding, no hard facts, just years of working on customer's engines. Yes, I know other oils will do this when not changed properly, it's just that I've scooped "Q" out with a spoon from engines that I have all the records on.

Russ

A few quick comments: Good call that these are actually the same company... Or at least I assume you knew based on lumping them together...

More importantly: I am curious, were these customers all using synthetic oils? That's what we are talking about here. Any experience with conventional counterparts does not apply here IMHO.

Racing engines do not usually develop engine sludge. They see totally different operation cycles than street engines. Even IF these oils are more prone to sludge, it doesn't really matter here...

That said, oil is like religion... As we've already seen in this thread, there are many different beliefs out there and many people who have had different experiences or upbringings who believe very differently, but strongly about oil.

I believe in any brand name synthetic and change it often. I do not pay extra for Royal Purple or Amsoil. We happen to be running, the oil in question, Q Power (20/50) in our Nissan. We've been very happy with it so far and these "truck" engines are not known for being nice to oil.

I also believe that most of the fancy things they brag about is marketing and you have to look at the "tests" they do very carefully...