PDA

View Full Version : Miata Power Plant Frame

Eagle7
01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
'91 daily driver. When I tore it apart, the long bolts through the Power Plant Frame and the differential were frozen. I finally won, but now the PPF doesn't have the "nut" inserts in the rear. What's next? Fabricate something? New PPF? I couldn't find it listed on car-part.com.

Also, do I have to remove the front exhaust pipe to install the transmission? It was a real pain getting it out with the pipe there. But I know those studs will snap and I'll have to pull the header, too. What's the chance that a header stud will snap? That would be a shame, because it might result in the whole car winding up at the bottom of a cliff somewhere :(

Aged racer
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Marty, I can't speak to your trans question, but Advanced Autosports can help with the PPF nuts:
http://www.advanced-autosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=72

Steve

Eagle7
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Awesome. Thanks very much.

jcocke
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
It does help to move the exhaust on a tranny swap...I made a habit of taking the entire exhaust loose at the header and removing it...sure made for a lot less headache. I soaked the studs with PB Blaster for several days prior to removal...re-soaked them daily until it was time to break them loose. Didn't break the studs, and used anti-seize on reassembly. After that, I never had an issue. It helps to clean the threads up once you get the DP off with a drill mounted wire brush.

G'luck...and if you do break something, I've had much success getting parts from Tom at Parts Group.