PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher...

Simon T.
01-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I am looking for a low cost hand held unit and ran across this.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F01&Category_Code=FE-HH

Is this legal for IT at a minimum? I've been corner working for Road Atlanta for a few years now so know the importance of good fire control but just as a minimum to start off with.

It says "Rated 10B:C" and in the 2010 GCR says "...Chemical: 10 BC Underwriters Laboratory rating..."

RacerBill
01-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Yes, that's the ticket. Important pieces that I see on this unit is the metal (not plastic) nose. The UL rating stated in the ad is the required rating.

G-Man
01-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Fire extinguishers have hazardous shipping fees - $25 for this one. Brings your cost to $62.
Can you get a better fire extinguisher, more than the "minimum to start with," in that price range locally?

Simon T.
01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Fire extinguishers have hazardous shipping fees - $25 for this one. Brings your cost to $62.
Can you get a better fire extinguisher, more than the "minimum to start with," in that price range locally?

Possibly, I'll go look around.

RacerBill
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Simon: you don't post your location, but from your website I might be inclined to say it's in the Souteast US. There should be some shops that sell race equipment near your location.

GTIspirit
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes, that's the ticket. Important pieces that I see on this unit is the metal (not plastic) nose. The UL rating stated in the ad is the required rating.

Exactly why I bought a Buckeye handheld unit from a local fire safety company. It met the SCCA requirements for extinguisher type, had a metal nose, and came with a nice metal bracket. For not much more than the cost of something similar at Home Depot or Lowe's.
http://www.buckeyef.com/products.asp?SubProduct=0
So call around to your local fire safety equipment companies, companies that service corporations with the good stuff, and see if they will sell over the counter to private persons.

Matt93SE
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.amerex-fire.com/distributors/find

Is this for in the car?
Personally, I installed a fixed mount 3 nozzle unit in my car. If I've got a fire, I'd much rather just pull a handle and bail out of the car than to try to reach into a burning car and grab a fire extinguisher, or lift the hood of a car to fight an engine fire.

http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/apps/webstore/products/show/369384
The cost is of course more, but I'd much rather pay $300 and never use it than to pay a surgeon thousands to try to piece my grilled arm back together. (not to mention the pain!)

Honestly I'm thinking about buying another small handheld like the one you linked above and clamping it to the tranny tunnel. That way if I have a small fire I can reach, I can use that instead of setting off a 5 liter bottle of AFFF in the car and having to clean the entire car and recharge the system.

For my trailer, I have a couple old 20lb Halon bottles that my work asked me to "dispose of". one stays in the trailer and another stays in the garage near the front door.

Yeah it's more money, but how much are you willing to pay to quickly and easily get out of a burning car or put out an engine fire from that tiny valve cover oil leak you didn't catch when you just installed your fresh-built engine?

Russ Myers
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I got mine from Lowe's. Metal bracket and all.

Russ

tom91ita
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
going to bend this thead just a bit. i took the extra metal bracket from my "spare" and attached it to my trailer door.

this was after the 944 a couple of doors down in the paddock had a small fire under it from its fuel rail leaking.

the major risk to equipment is due to a paddock fire, imho.

Simon T.
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Simon: you don't post your location, but from your website I might be inclined to say it's in the Souteast US. There should be some shops that sell race equipment near your location.

Yeah I'm in northeast Georgia. I'll check around, there are quite a few dirt track/oval type shops around. :p

http://www.amerex-fire.com/distributors/find

Is this for in the car?
Personally, I installed a fixed mount 3 nozzle unit in my car. If I've got a fire, I'd much rather just pull a handle and bail out of the car than to try to reach into a burning car and grab a fire extinguisher, or lift the hood of a car to fight an engine fire.

http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/apps/webstore/products/show/369384
The cost is of course more, but I'd much rather pay $300 and never use it than to pay a surgeon thousands to try to piece my grilled arm back together. (not to mention the pain!)

Honestly I'm thinking about buying another small handheld like the one you linked above and clamping it to the tranny tunnel. That way if I have a small fire I can reach, I can use that instead of setting off a 5 liter bottle of AFFF in the car and having to clean the entire car and recharge the system.

For my trailer, I have a couple old 20lb Halon bottles that my work asked me to "dispose of". one stays in the trailer and another stays in the garage near the front door.

Yeah it's more money, but how much are you willing to pay to quickly and easily get out of a burning car or put out an engine fire from that tiny valve cover oil leak you didn't catch when you just installed your fresh-built engine?

It's for in the car and like I said temporary for the time being. I'll upgrade to a system eventually.

I got mine from Lowe's. Metal bracket and all.

Russ

I'll check there! :023:

dickita15
01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I have found that marine supply stores tend to have the right ones with metal brackets.

timo944
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
You can get a good one at Pye-Parker. They should have a place close to you - google it. I bought one for about $40 last year, bracket and all.