PDA

View Full Version : 2011 I.T. Fest race groups and format

TAC
12-28-2010, 09:06 PM
O.K. gang I need some opinions on this so let loose. Right now I feel the I.T.Fest
( I.T. SPEC*tacular) may be getting lost in the Rational, Quad Regional frenzy that is gripping the nation. So the question for all of you is this....

Would you prefer going with a 7 race group format this year such as

Group 1 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 2 ITS, ITC
Group 3 ITB, ITR
Group 4 CFC, FC, FE, FM, etc...
Group 5 SM
Group 6 TBA
Group 7 ITA, IT7

or 8 race groups

Group 1 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 2 ITS, ITR
Group 3 ITB
Group 4 CFC, FC, FE, FM ....
Group 5 SM
Group 6 TBA
Group 7 ITC
Group 8 ITA, IT7

instead of the past

Group 1 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 2 ITS, ITR, ITB
Group 3 CF, FC, FE, FM, etc....
Group 4 SM
Group 5 ITA, IT7, ITC
Group 6 ITE, AS, etc......

What I do with this is what I need help with. Do you guys prefer the three race format we have been doing or want to see a change?

It has to fit into an 8 hour day Sat and Sunday. 8 am-12 pm one hour lunch then 1 pm-5 pm. The lunch hour is flexible. Remember I need 10 minutes between sessions. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the help,

Todd

ITA_honda
12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
What class(es) are we inviting this year?

jumbojimbo
12-29-2010, 02:25 PM
ITC biased: I'd love to have ITC be a seperate group, but not if it means 8 groups.

I would not mind 7 groups, I know some people like the longer races but personally I can live without the last 3 laps, we're just using tires and gas at that point. I'm fine with 6 groups, ITC runs ok with ITA/7, it's ITB that causes us problems. (yes, I know I hit an ITA car in Oct).

I'd like to go with Sat Qual, Sat Race, Sun long race and Sun short race. With the Sun race grids based on the fastest lap time from the previous session. grids based on finishing positions are 'exciting' but needlessly hectic, the illusion of fun is not worth the risk.

And I'd like all three races to be sanction number races, no qualifying race on sunday. Make it a triple weekend.

Eagle7
12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I would not mind 7 groups, I know some people like the longer races but personally I can live without the last 3 laps, we're just using tires and gas at that point.
+1

TAC
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
What class(es) are we inviting this year?

Pretty much what you see on the first post. The TBA at this point is either the Big bore stuff ( ITE, AS, STO, STU) or the smaller formula stuff. I'm undecided at this point.

TAC
12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
ITC biased: I'd love to have ITC be a seperate group, but not if it means 8 groups.

I would not mind 7 groups, I know some people like the longer races but personally I can live without the last 3 laps, we're just using tires and gas at that point. I'm fine with 6 groups, ITC runs ok with ITA/7, it's ITB that causes us problems. (yes, I know I hit an ITA car in Oct).

I'd like to go with Sat Qual, Sat Race, Sun long race and Sun short race. With the Sun race grids based on the fastest lap time from the previous session. grids based on finishing positions are 'exciting' but needlessly hectic, the illusion of fun is not worth the risk.

And I'd like all three races to be sanction number races, no qualifying race on sunday. Make it a triple weekend.

7 groups leads to 15 minute qualifying and 30 minute approx. 18 lap race on Saturday. 15 minute 7 lap race Sunday morning and 30 minute 18 lap race sunday afternoon.

We could go with the standard 6 groups split the time between the two races on Sunday thus balancing them out and making the third sanction more "worthwhile". Say Two 16 lap races on Sunday?

Just a thought.

Racerlinn
12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
"ITE, AS, STO, STU"
Todd, what was the count of these cars the last two years?
I don't see where you are adding any additional classes. If you are not opening up to more classes, stick with the 6 groups. I like 6 groups.....

Plus I like the idea of it being a triple. Sure, it's going to cost a bit more in sanction and insurance....

Last year you did:
Sat: 20 min Qual, 20 lap race
Sun: 12 lap race, 20 lap race

If you stick with 6 groups, I would suggest:
Sat: 15 min qual, 20 lap race (early lunch or get two race groups in before lunch?)
Sun: 10 lap race, 16 lap race

RacerBill
12-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Todd: 6 or 7 groups is ok

Same general format of Sat - Qual - Race, Sun - Race - Race

Option to make it a triple sounds interesting - three champ races for one hit of fixed expenses??
Might get additional entries!

Say, Todd - Is this the 25th Ann. of IT?

TAC
12-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Todd: 6 or 7 groups is ok

Same general format of Sat - Qual - Race, Sun - Race - Race

Option to make it a triple sounds interesting - three champ races for one hit of fixed expenses??
Might get additional entries!

Say, Todd - Is this the 25th Ann. of IT?

Bill,

Yes this is the year. The big 25th! :smilie_pokal:

TAC
12-30-2010, 06:39 PM
"ITE, AS, STO, STU"
Todd, what was the count of these cars the last two years?
I don't see where you are adding any additional classes. If you are not opening up to more classes, stick with the 6 groups. I like 6 groups.....

Plus I like the idea of it being a triple. Sure, it's going to cost a bit more in sanction and insurance....

Last year you did:
Sat: 20 min Qual, 20 lap race
Sun: 12 lap race, 20 lap race

If you stick with 6 groups, I would suggest:
Sat: 15 min qual, 20 lap race (early lunch or get two race groups in before lunch?)
Sun: 10 lap race, 16 lap race

Not a whole lot. I've shifted other classes in with them to fill it out. That's what the TBA is about. As for the format. Staying with 6 groups would allow us some cushion both Saturday and Sunday of about 1 hr. 30 minutes. Maybe run something fun with the time left?

downingracing
12-31-2010, 05:54 PM
How about something like this:

Group 1 IT
Group 2 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 3 IT
Group 4 SM
Group 5 IT
Group 6 TBA
Group 7 IT
Group 8 CFC, FC, FE, FM ....

I don't care what IT groups run with each other and would like to see the 'larger' IT fields maybe get their own race. I just don't want to see 10 cars make a race group.... I'd be fine with a 10-15 min. qual. session on Sat. morning and a 15 lap race in the afternoon. Sunday could be a 5(ish) lap dash race with a 15 lap race in the afternoon. Of course, you could always ditch one group (1,3 or 7) if time is really an issue. I know I'd pay a good bit more for the entry since it is the IT-SPECtacular weekend..... Main idea is to spread the IT groups to allow us to watch the other IT races!

And after saying all that, I'll be there no matter what the schedule. Thanks for all the hard work and for a GREAT event!!!!!

RedMisted
12-31-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll keep it simple. Whatever option provides for the most track time is what I prefer. Otherwise it just becomes another race weekend.

If the IT Fest is to be a crown jewel in the world of IT racing, it's gotta be Big, and Big includes maximum track time. LeMans wouldn't be LeMans with less than 24 hours, Indy would not be Indy with less than 500 miles. Bathhurst would not be Bathhurst with less than a 1,000K. The IT Fest should do justice to its billing and offer more than the piddling 80-85 minutes of track time usually offered at a typical two-day regional.

TAC
12-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I'll keep it simple. Whatever option provides for the most track time is what I prefer. Otherwise it just becomes another race weekend.

If the IT Fest is to be a crown jewel in the world of IT racing, it's gotta be Big, and Big includes maximum track time. LeMans wouldn't be LeMans with less than 24 hours, Indy would not be Indy with less than 500 miles. Bathhurst would not be Bathhurst with less than a 1,000K. The IT Fest should do justice to its billing and offer more than the piddling 80-85 minutes of track time usually offered at a typical two-day regional.

Well said! :D I appreciate the input so far, I would love to see ITS and ITB get back up in the 20+ entry levels they were 3 years ago.

shwah
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I like it the way it has been.

Like anyone else, I would love a dedicated run group, but only if there are 20+ B cars, versus 12.

I don't want shorter races. We were racing for the top 3 for damn near every lap at this event in 08.

cboehly1
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Will there be a reduced fee like last year for entry into more than one class (ie. ITA and SM)? Also, possible to have at least one if not two groups between ITA and SM to allow some prep etc.?

TAC
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I like it the way it has been.

Like anyone else, I would love a dedicated run group, but only if there are 20+ B cars, versus 12.

I don't want shorter races. We were racing for the top 3 for damn near every lap at this event in 08.

Chris,

Thank you for the input!

Will you be gracing us with your presence this year?:023:

TAC
01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Will there be a reduced fee like last year for entry into more than one class (ie. ITA and SM)? Also, possible to have at least one if not two groups between ITA and SM to allow some prep etc.?

Charlie,

There will be a reduced fee again this year ( not sure how much yet?) And yes there will be a couple of race groups between for prep.

shwah
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I want to be there. Just too much going on in my life right now to honestly plan it out, but I hope to make it.

TAC
01-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I want to be there. Just too much going on in my life right now to honestly plan it out, but I hope to make it.

Well I certainly hope you do.

JohnW
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
...with the growing interest in STU and STL, maybe we could get a good crowd? I just don't want to burn a weekend and race nobody.

Since we have a few months, our team is prepared to bring two STU cars if others will meet us there.

Greg Amy
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
John, I'm putting this event on my list, especially if they add STL. I'll still put it on the list if I have to run STU, but I suspect I'd need to add a wing pod and a solid rocket booster to keep up with you guys... ;)

ITA_honda
01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
...with the growing interest in STU and STL, maybe we could get a good crowd? I just don't want to burn a weekend and race nobody.

Since we have a few months, our team is prepared to bring two STU cars if others will meet us there.

Hey John! Where ya been?? Assuming World Challenge has been keeping ya busy. That would be nice if you (and Kevin) came on up and ran. Take it easy

TAC
01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Good to see some lobbying going on. :023: I'm working on the schedule and classes over the next weekend so I should have something to go with by Monday.

Rabbit07
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Good to see some lobbying going on. :023: I'm working on the schedule and classes over the next weekend so I should have something to go with by Monday.

You got to have STL Todd, got to have it.

TAC
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
O.K. If I go with this line up any suggestions on where to put STU and STL??

Group 1 ITS, ITC
Group 2 CFC, FC, FE, FM, etc....
Group 3 ITR, ITE
Group 4 SM
Group 5 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 6 F500, FV, FST, CFF, FF
Group 7 ITA, IT7,ITB

Greg Amy
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
With ITR and ITE. But, that keeps ITR cars from double-dipping into STU (assuming they'd have interest in that)...but it does encourage other IT classes to double-dip (assuming they'd have interest in that). - GA

TAC
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
With ITR and ITE. But, that keeps ITR cars from double-dipping into STU (assuming they'd have interest in that)...but it does encourage other IT classes to double-dip (assuming they'd have interest in that). - GA

We had 6 D.D. last year. One was an ITC that ran in STU. The rest were SM drivers wanting to run in an I.T. class. So I don't see that being a big issue. I think the max in ITR we have ever had is seven entries.

TAC
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
So,

Group 1 ITS, ITC
Group 3 ITR, ITE, STU
Group 4 SM
Group 5 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 7 ITA, IT7,ITB

Rabbit07
01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
So,

Group 1 ITS, ITC
Group 3 ITR, ITE, STU, STL!
Group 4 SM
Group 5 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 7 ITA, IT7,ITB

Fixed that for ya! :rolleyes:

TAC
01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Geez, Chris the Neon running STL now? :D

Group 1 ITS, ITC
Group 3 ITR, ITE, STU, STL
Group 4 SM
Group 5 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 7 ITA, IT7,ITB

Rabbit07
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Geez, Chris the Neon running STL now? :D

Group 1 ITS, ITC
Group 3 ITR, ITE, STU, STL
Group 4 SM
Group 5 SRF, EP, FP, HP
Group 7 ITA, IT7,ITB

Well I plan on running it and encourage anyone eligable to do the same.

TAC
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Well I plan on running it and encourage anyone eligable to do the same.

In the Neon or do you have a top secret project going on? :rolleyes:

ITA_honda
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
1. Guess I wont be chasing a white Neon in ITA this year.

2. ITA Group 7? Does this mean I can sleep in? :D

R2 Racing
01-12-2011, 10:16 AM
And ITB too, so no matter which car I decide to drive, that'll help me out big time Sunday morning with that wedding I should be at in Columbus Saturday night. I'd maybe have to miss the actual wedding part on Saturday since I'll be late getting out of Mid Ohio, but could probably at least make the reception, which we all know is the fun part anyways.

Rabbit07
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
In the Neon or do you have a top secret project going on? :rolleyes:

The car is still for sale. If it doesn't sell before then I will run it in STL and ITA likely.

Mostly I am going to be driving SSB at Nationals this year.

ITA_honda
01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
The car is still for sale. If it doesn't sell before then I will run it in STL and ITA likely.

Mostly I am going to be driving SSB at Nationals this year.

SSB huh? What will you be driving?

Rabbit07
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
If I told you, I would have to kill you......:D

ITA_honda
01-12-2011, 05:29 PM

:o Well that wouldnt be good now would it? I guess Ill just have to watch next year then. These national drivers...I tell ya :p

TAC
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Unless I invite SSB and put it in with SM. Then we could get a look at the car. :happy204:

Rabbit07
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Unless I invite SSB and put it in with SM. Then we could get a look at the car. :happy204:

Oh no, not risking this car with that group of crazies! Besides it has about 1000 lbs on them, no fair.

TAC
01-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Oh no, not risking this car with that group of crazies! Besides it has about 1000 lbs on them, no fair.

I didn't know you could run an Exige in SSB. :023:

ITA_honda
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM

SSB with SM? Yikes!! Its like you are driving along and all of a sudden out of no where 10 SM's dive bomb you to the left, right, front, and back! Where did they all come from?!?!:o

Im gunna take a stab at this. If Chris is running SSB, Im thinking he is running a Mustang. Those have become quite popular since Road America..

Rabbit07
01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, there was like 5-6 Mustangs running with us down here at Sebring last weekend. I was in the $h!t box neon running STU. They are quite popular, but I still can not confirm nor deny that statement. :rolleyes:

TAC
01-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah, there was like 5-6 Mustangs running with us down here at Sebring last weekend. I was in the !t box neon running STU. They are quite popular, but I still can not confirm nor deny that statement. :rolleyes:

Careful now. That Neon might be a collector car one day. Amazing thing is seeing a replay of the 1996 runoffs and watching something like 40 Neon's take the green in an SSB? race.

ITA_honda
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Careful now. That Neon might be a collector car one day. Amazing thing is seeing a replay of the 1996 runoffs and watching something like 40 Neon's take the green in an SSB? race.

I remember that like it was yesterday sitting in the grandstands on the backstraight. I was something like 8 years old then. Im sure Im not making anyone feel old. No punt intended:D That was REAL racing in REAL stock cars. Unbelieveable competition. Five wide in to the esses and most of the times they all made it thru!

Racerlinn
01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=ITA_honda;316654]I was something like 8 years old then. [QUOTE]

get off my lawn...

downingracing
01-15-2011, 01:59 PM

It sure does - But it also means that 'bedtime' is around 4am!!!!! :blink:

TAC
01-15-2011, 03:46 PM
It sure does - But it also means that 'bedtime' is around 4am!!!!! :blink:

Better put in a disclaimer. Race groups and order have not been finalized. :p

TAC
02-17-2011, 09:02 PM
O.K. gang the classes and groups are set. Isn't too different from what I was proposing.

Race Group

1. ITS, ITC
2. CFC, FC, FE, FM, S2000, CSR, DSR
3. ITR, ITE, STU, STL
4. SM
5. SRF, EP, FP, HP
6. F500, FV, FST, CFF, FF
7. ITA, IT7, ITB

Using the Pro Straight and the Pro Start Stand. Everything pro. :023:

Todd Cholmondeley
Race & Membership Chairman.

Greg Amy
02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Sweet! Marked on the calendar...

Rabbit07
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Sweet! Marked on the calendar...

Yeah it's on my calender, but now I need an STL car to drive.....:blink:

Should it be a Honda, a Mazda, a Dodge, a Ford....?...? So many choices, so little time :D

Racerlinn
02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Yippee, dirty track for Group 7! :)

TAC
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Mid Ohio will be running a Test and Tune on Friday evening July 29th for all classes from 4:30 pm til dark.

$150 if you register before July 29th, $195 at the track.