PDA

View Full Version : 944 steering lock

fastmutha
12-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm setting up an '87 944 for ITS and need to disable the steering lock, as per the rules. I wanted to know exactly what to do before I get in there, but have not really been able to find any explicit info on how to do it. I'd appreciate any input or suggestion. Thanks in advance,
Woody :eclipsee_steering:

anthony1k
12-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Here is a picture of what it looks like. (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/213552-how-to-remove-ignition-switch.html) But you do not have to remove the dash or the instrument panel. Only some of the plastic so that you have access to drill out the two security pins that hold the lock assembly onto the steering column. Once you you have separated the lock assembly from the steering column, just cut or grind the pin that's used to lock the steering. You'll have to use two new bolts and nuts to put it back together.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck.

fastmutha
12-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks much, Anthony! I will be tackling it soon.

924Guy
12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Not sure how much the late lock differs from the early lock setup (on the column), but on mine ('79 924) I used an air chisel to pop the locking tab out completely (after removing the mechanism from the column).

That way there's nothing lingering to potentially catch, ever.