PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Race At Charlotte Motor Speedway - Format?

Ron Earp
12-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Earlier this year Jeff Young and I proposed that the NCR region co-sponsor a race with the CCR region at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Initially there was some resistance to the idea that was rooted in past experiences with the track and certain indivuals. However, CMS has new management and it appears that those issues have been resolved.

I’d like to get some feedback on the format of the race weekend. We had proposed to do a double SARRC race with the highlight of the weekend being a 1.5 hr ECR run under the lights. But, it appears that that was lost in translation and what appears on the NCR website is a single SARRC with a double Carolina Cup, no ECR at all.

Question, which would you, the racer, be more likely to attend and get fired up about? Yes, the race would be in August. Yes, it'll be hot.

Option A – Double SARRC with the ECR run on Saturday night under the lights

Option B – Single SARRC with a double Carolina Cup, probably one of which would run under the lights

Thanks much,
Ron

Hotshoe
12-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Earlier this year Jeff Young and I proposed that the NCR region co-sponsor a race with the CCR region at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
I’d like to get some feedback on the format of the race weekend. NCR website is a single SARRC with a double Carolina Cup, no ECR at all.

Question, which would you, the racer, be more likely to attend and get fired up about?

Option C – Double SARRC with the Carolina Cup run on Saturday night under the lights

Thanks much,
Ron

I'll take the revised choice::023:

Option C – Double SARRC with the Carolina Cup run on Saturday night under the lights

Gary Gentry
12-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Option C.........

SPiFF
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I'll take the revised choice::023:

+1

Knestis
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Any of the above sounds great to me, guys. You can count me as *very* interested but I might be marginally MORE interested if the enduro is longer rather than shorter.

K

Simon T.
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
If it's late enough that I have my license I'd like an enduro under the lights.

racingralph
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
i say it doesn't matter , its still racing at chartolle motor speedway ! and thats just cool !! lets race there again . ralph

Ron Earp
12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
As Mr. Thompson wrote, let's throw that (C) out there too so we have:

Option A – Double SARRC with the ECR run on Saturday night under the lights

Option B – Single SARRC with a double Carolina Cup, probably one of which would run under the lights

callard
12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
How about inviting the MARRS crowd down like in the '80s and '90s for a MARRS/SARRC shootout? :smilie_pokal:

SPiFF
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
We do that at VIR in May. :)

madrabbit15
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Option B preferred, Option C next

:happy204:

SPiFF
12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh yes, almost forgot the obligatory '02 ECHC vid. :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4526662603305914000#

Aged racer
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
"A" would be great, but we'll go no matter what. Clarifying question- assuming we run with all the track lights on, will the cars need supplemental lighting ? (beyond the headlights).

Just planning ahead.

thks

Mazmarc63
12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Great video SPiFF(Scott). Almost forgot how cool that place was/is.

Back in the day...

How about Option Bv1 – Single SARRC with a single Carolina Cup and a 2.5-3 hour ECR starting after 5pm and finishing under the lights.

Bet that would get a draw from all corners of the Division.

Cobrar05
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I would be there if there was an ECR. We are not allowed to enter the CC races. Double SARRC and ECR and I am there.

Parrish57
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Give me option A, or C. As long as there is a double SARRC!

Charles Perry
12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Would be interested in the double. But to get more people, would a regular enduro be a better draw?? I am not running the CC either so that would not make my needle move much but the enduro would.

Hotshoe
12-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Give me option A, or C. As long as there is a double SARRC!

Steve,

.... You have the right idea...

.... If you look at most of the race entries from last season you will find that the Double SARRC weekends had the most participants. Thus, I would say that making it a double SARRC should be the most important " deciding " factor.

.... Then throw in the CCPS race for Saturday night and quit treating the series like a "Red Headed Step Child" .... Let's support OUR races..... Isn't it Carolina Cup.... I thought so.:rolleyes:

JeffYoung
12-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I understand a waiver is needed to do a double SARRC since each sponsoring region (NCR and CCR) already have a double on the calendar. We'll talk to region leadership and see what we can do.

Ron Earp
12-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Steve,

.... You have the right idea...

.... If you look at most of the race entries from last season you will find that the Double SARRC weekends had the most participants. Thus, I would say that making it a double SARRC should be the most important " deciding " factor.

.... Then throw in the CCPS race for Saturday night and quit treating the series like a "Red Headed Step Child" .... Let's support OUR races..... Isn't it Carolina Cup.... I thought so.:rolleyes:

The SARRC is the draw of the weekend and making it a double really makes the race shine and attractive to a large audience. The CCPS takes a back seat to the SARRC races. I'm fine with the CCPS series but I don't race it because the competition is nothing like the SARRC series. As such I don't think the majority of the track time should go to the CCPS. Sat night single CCPS sounds good but I bet a Sat night ECR sounds even better to a wider audience.

As proposed in June the weekend was a double SARRC and ECR under the lights. Sometime between June and now management made it a double CCPS and single SARRC without discussion outside themselves.

JeffYoung
12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Just trying to think this through logically.

1. I don't think a lot of SARRC racers will tow longish (more than 3 hours) distances for a single SARRC. Don't SARRC entires make up most of the entries in a regional weekend?

2. I don't think a double CCPS will entice a lot of folks to tow more than 3 hours either, while a double SARRC would.

Since we are all worried about $$ and getting enough entries to make this weekend work going forward, isn't the best setup a Double SARRC and single CCPS or ECR?

seckerich
12-16-2010, 08:44 AM
I understand a waiver is needed to do a double SARRC since each sponsoring region (NCR and CCR) already have a double on the calendar. We'll talk to region leadership and see what we can do.

SARRC rules allow one double SARRC per facility, with a max of 4 SARRC races per region. No waiver needed. Track time with a 12:00 start on Sunday is what we have to work around. Be aware the format is on the schedule as tentative so we can have it worked out at Jeckyl meeting. Keep the feedback coming, support goes a long way to making this race happen.

CCR Regional Executive

Ron Earp
12-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Sat - bear in mind it is summer and a long day
15 min Qualify for SAARC1 and CCPS, All groups
Race SAARCs
15 min Qualify for SAARC2, all groups
Run CCPS

Sun
Noon, start racing second SAARCs

seckerich
12-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Sunday you have just enough time to run the SARRC races with a 5 hour window. That is why we are planning to run with the lights and have a very long Saturday. I will run a time sheet and see what will fit this weekend. Might be able to get an ECR in. Reason we did not put that in initially is we have had many promises and then poor turnout for the ECR compared to the CCPS. Can not burn up 2.5 hours of track time under lights for 20 cars.

Knestis
12-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I know I'm a very special case (fly-in) but I really like the sounds of what I think Steve is describing. I can skip just one SARRC and not have to travel home in the middle of the night Sunday.

Rock on.

K

Hotshoe
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
The SARRC is the draw of the weekend and making it a double really makes the race shine and attractive to a large audience. Sat night single CCPS sounds good but I bet a Sat night ECR sounds even better to a wider audience.

As proposed in June the weekend was a double SARRC and ECR under the lights. Sometime between June and now management made it a double CCPS and single SARRC without discussion outside themselves.

Ron,

..... How about this.

.... A Double SARRC with a Double Carolina Cup.

.... Here is the kicker....... The CCP races will both be run on Saturday after the SARRC races Maybe even under the lights.... There would only be one qualifying session and that would be for the first race. Qualifying order for race two would be the finishing order of race one. With a 30 minute break between races
.... This way we can have our cake and eat it to. :D

JeffYoung
12-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Makes sense to me. We had talked about an ECR in the evening, which wouldn't take much more time than 2 CCPS races.

Mike Mackaman
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
If you build it, I will come. I missed the last race at CMS due to recovering from an apendectomy and coming up one rod bearing shell short a week before the race. The Divorce will be final by then, count me in. My headlights don't work, but I can fix that by then!!!

Mike

Hotshoe
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Since this is in the " Talking / Planning" stage...... Can IT be group one then SM be 2 groups later.... Like ( IT group 1 . ....SM group 3 )

JeffYoung
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Also, here's some numbers to chew on:

March Memories 2010:

CCPS: 49 entries
SARRC: 46

Note single SARRC.

Memorial Monster May 2010

CCPS: 32
Double SARRC: 103

Goblins Go:

CCPS: 32
SARRC (single): 101 (excluding Prod Car turnout which was high due to Prodfest, include that and you get 42 more entries)

Looks to me like a Double SARRC is the way to draw the most entries.

Hotshoe
12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Looks to me like a Double SARRC is the way to draw the most entries.

Amen........ And if you put the Double Carolina Cup races on Saturday evening / night.... You would get a Full Boat for sure......:023:

I would almost be tempted to make a wager on it.......

JeffYoung
12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I think you are right.

Double Sarrc, double CCPS.

Cobrar05
12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
how many in the goblins go ECR? wasnt it like 60?

JeffYoung
12-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes, big field.

ECRs are odd. Sometimes they draw big fields, sometimes not.

how many in the goblins go ECR? wasnt it like 60?

Hotshoe
12-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes, big field.

ECRs are odd. Sometimes they draw big fields, sometimes not.

Jeff,

.... The only reason the Goblins Go ECR had such a good turn out was because it was on Saturday afternoon, and quite a few of the entrants ( Myself and a team car included) were tuning up for the 13hr.

.... Placement on the schedule sometimes makes a big difference as to how many drivers sign up for a race. The CCPS race was the very last race on Sunday and it had 38 cars entered only ten cars less than the ECR that was run right after lunch on the same day.

.... If the CCPS race would have been given the same consideration as the ECR on Saturday or Sunday I would bet that the numbers would have been the same, maybe even better ( because you can run without a crew ).

Bryan88
12-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I vote for "A"........double sarrc with the ecr under the lights.......

both Parrish cars will be there......

Cobrar05
12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
the ecr is more inclusive. more classes are allowed to race. bes

pballance
12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't really have a dog in this fight as I may not be able to make the 8 hour tow, but I would not even consider it unless it was a double SARRC.

Paul

JeffYoung
12-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Paul.

I figured that would be the case for most folks looking at towing more than 3-4 hours.

seckerich
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Don't worry, we could never pay the rent for less than a good Double SARRC.:023:

JeffYoung
12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
That's kind of what I thought, although to satisfy the CCPS guys, I do think a double CCPS is possible as well.

The SARRC is the premiere road racing series in the Southeast. I can't believe there is anyway to get the entries we need to pay for this OTHER than a double SARRC. Single SARRCs at VIR in March and October with CCPS events are usually fairly poorly attended.

seckerich
12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Looking at a time line I think we can run the CCPS cars with their regular SARRC group to qualify. would allow time for a CCPS and a 1.5 hour ECR. I will have the time sheet to look at Monday. Possibly run the ECR Saturday night and the CCPS first thing Sunday. Have to get creative to fit everyone in. If we get the support this race will be a fixture on the schedule in the future.

JeffYoung
12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Works for me.

I totally agree with the potential for this race. I've run Daytona, and I've run Charlotte. They are different, but both are awesome.

We had something like 20 ITS cars the last SARRC race at Charlotte. I am pretty sure we could draw that again; the big ovals draw the higher power cars (I ran against 35 ITS cars when I went to Daytona).

Just need to keep the eye on the ball, which is what makes this a premiere event (like any other on the SEDiv schedule) is a Double SARRC.

E-3
12-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Ron,

..... How about this.

.... A Double SARRC with a Double Carolina Cup.

.... Here is the kicker....... The CCP races will both be run on Saturday after the SARRC races Maybe even under the lights.... There would only be one qualifying session and that would be for the first race. Qualifying order for race two would be the finishing order of race one. With a 30 minute break between races
.... This way we can have our cake and eat it to. :D

This is definitely a possibility. We actually considered an idea very similar to this 2 years ago. Each CCPS would be an individual points race completely separate from each other with an intermission between the races. Starting positions for the second race would be finishing positions from the first.
We would need to find a fair starting position procedure for the participants that only wanted to run the second race. My thinking (and I'm only throwing out ideas and thoughts) is that we don't want to discourage anyone from participating in the second race because they did not/could not run the first. Somehow it would need to favor the first race participants with out discouraging the second race only participants. Anyway that's just details that could be worked out if this CCPS proposed double format materializes.

On another note that has been mentioned in these postings, scheduling does make a huge difference in the number of participants entered regardless of the series. The dead last event of the week end always suffers, but somebody has to be last. I have sat in on scheduling meetings, and it is not as easy as it sounds. It is not exactly fair to compare participation numbers from one series to another on a given weekend regardless of which series had the good scheduling and which one was scheduled last. There are pros and cons to ECR and CCPS, but the bottom line is that they are both GREAT series and I have participated heavily in both.

Both CCPS and ECR benefits from the main draw SARRC. To me a Double SARRC would be a very good idea regardless of which complimentary series the powers to be choose to go with.

Estus White

JeffYoung
12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
That works for me Estus. Double SARRC and either a CCPS or an ECR, or a Double CCPS makes sense.

tac911t
12-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't forget about the workers. If the thinking is to run the last race under the lights (race starts at 9:30/10:00 pm), that would be a long day, a day like the 13 hour. If the schedule is expected to have a long supper break, that could offset the long day.

Ron Earp
12-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Both CCPS and ECR benefits from the main draw SARRC. To me a Double SARRC would be a very good idea regardless of which complimentary series the powers to be choose to go with.

Estus White

I completely agree with this too. The SARRC can draw the entries and either the CCPS or ECR will benefit. A double SARRC double CCPS is a killer lineup. Not sure that is duplicated anywhere else.

Steve E's idea of having the SARRC qualifying also go for the CCPS makes a lot of sense timewise.

seckerich
12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Don't forget about the workers. If the thinking is to run the last race under the lights (race starts at 9:30/10:00 pm), that would be a long day, a day like the 13 hour. If the schedule is expected to have a long supper break, that could offset the long day.

We will most likely have 2 shifts to make the day shorter. Have to take care of our workers.

pballance
12-17-2010, 10:32 PM
OK, here is a thought, how about a SEDIV summer heat ECR special 3 event award. June 1.5 hr ECR in Nashville, July 1.5 hour ECR at Atlanta, and July ECR at Charlotte. Just need Butch to figure out a way to fit an ECR in in July

In order to win you must participate in all 3 events.

Release the hounds for the critique of this idea :)

timo944
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I like option C but what would it be like with SRF's under the lights, on an oval?? I don't mind running with the SRF's, but in the dark... risky.

cjb25hs
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I like option C but what would it be like with SRF's under the lights, on an oval?? I don't mind running with the SRF's, but in the dark... risky.

Won't be too bad. I've run with them at 12hrs of Nelson and it is way darker there than Charlotte will be.

ITA_honda
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
:D
Won't be too bad. I've run with them at 12hrs of Nelson and it is way darker there than Charlotte will be.

I KNOW you will need a co-driver for that enduro, Chris. Hint Hint. cough. hint.

RedMisted
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM

He's right. In fact, Nelson is COMPLETELY dark with the exception of a few hundred feet of front straight. And then the fog moves in...

iambhooper
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Either a pair of CCPS race's or an ECR is fine by me. I like the idea of the double SARRC, it definately draw's in the cars... some of which might try a cup or ECR race!

ITsediv
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Bash CCPS all you want. ITS drivers are too pussy to drive it anyway, they might tear up their cars...What a bunch a babies, it's always double SARRC or nothing with you guys.

JeffYoung
01-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Uh, wot? Who? Gots to give us some more details my friend.

Bash CCPS all you want. ITS drivers are too pussy to drive it anyway, they might tear up their cars...What a bunch a babies, it's always double SARRC or nothing with you guys.

RedMisted
01-19-2011, 01:02 AM

???????

Coming from the Great Lakes Division and having raced against ITS SARRC drivers on several occasions in 2010, I'll testify as to their tactics behind the wheel. They'll race you fair, for sure, but you better be ready to fight 'em for position...

racerpepe
01-19-2011, 02:12 AM
CCR lost money for years doing double SARRC's. That is why we have not raced there in quite a few years. Time constraints are always an issue at Charlotte more so than other tracks. Their quiet hours do not allow any racing before noon on sunday unless you are NASCAR. Scheduling is always an issue. Adding a SARRC race adds 7 qualifying sessions and 7 races as well as the requisite down time in between groups. Adding a ECR or CCPS obviously only adds 1 qualifying session and 1 race. Everything is give and take. I think we need to thank both CCR and NCR for there effort and joining to assume this financial risk. I for one will be there to support them regardless of the schedule and weather or not my group is first, second, last or at two am. Thank you to everyone ( Jeff, Ron, CCR, NCR, the workers, stewards etc. for the privilege of being able to race and have fun at Charlotte once again. Pepe.

Ron Earp
01-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Hmmmm, a brand new user with one post that seems to be stirring up a topic on the IT board. Posting IP address is registered in Durham NC so it is probably someone local to the region. Seems to be someone who likes the CCPS races and wants the NCR SCCA to continue with the plan of two CCPS races. And it is clearly a person who doesn't like ITS drivers, at least not the ITS drivers on this thread. I wonder who it is that feels the need to hide behind the relative anonymity of the internet?

Rx7racer3
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
double sarrc and ecr

Mike Mackaman
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Those SRF cars are so much faster than my ITS car with me driving it that they sneak up on you. On any other track they would truely be things that go bump in the night. CMS has better lighting than just about any track in the country. I would not be too concerned about lighting for a night race. Turn 4-5 would be the only area that onboard lights would be really needed.

SPiFF
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I am going to sharpen up my splitter lip incase those pesky SRFs spin in front of me! :D

JeffYoung
01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Blair, thanks for the post -- we appreciate it.

I'll touch base with Rex. Maybe we should get together as a group to discuss this some. It's truly not a case of "I want my way" -- I'll be there and happy to race if it is a single SARRC.

But it does seem to me, both from the posts here and from discussions with other folks that a Double SARRC will attract more entries. Steve E. posted above about trying to make this a premiere event like the August Daytona Double SARRC that draws racers from all over the country. I think we have the chance to do that here.

Plus, it sure seems like a double SARRC/double CCPS would fit in the existing schedule, but I certainly understand there are limitations.

Either way, the clock is ticking and if we can nail down with NCR and CCR leadership how they want to structure this, that would be great.

Also, I think the post above was from Paul Perez -- Paul, I wasn't bashing CCPS. I would like to see it succeed. ITS drivers do run the series. I ran it for two years, Ron's run it occasionally and so has Steve Parrish and Kent Thompson.

It's just that for whatever reason, it doesn't attract the same level of competition in ITS as the SARRC series, and so the racing is better, to me, in SARRC. I don't know how to fix that, but would point out that one of the reasons why ITS guys stay away is we run essentially the same lap times as SRFs, but make our speed very differently. Those guys, for us, are dangerous to be around because we can't see them -- and I'm sure they feel the same.

I'm not saying exclude SRFs from the CCPS, but I am saying it's one of the reasons I don't run the CCPS "just for fun."

CCR lost money for years doing double SARRC's. That is why we have not raced there in quite a few years. Time constraints are always an issue at Charlotte more so than other tracks. Their quiet hours do not allow any racing before noon on sunday unless you are NASCAR. Scheduling is always an issue. Adding a SARRC race adds 7 qualifying sessions and 7 races as well as the requisite down time in between groups. Adding a ECR or CCPS obviously only adds 1 qualifying session and 1 race. Everything is give and take. I think we need to thank both CCR and NCR for there effort and joining to assume this financial risk. I for one will be there to support them regardless of the schedule and weather or not my group is first, second, last or at two am. Thank you to everyone ( Jeff, Ron, CCR, NCR, the workers, stewards etc. for the privilege of being able to race and have fun at Charlotte once again. Pepe.

Parrish57
01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Here's a refresher course on CCPS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw

A few things to note about the video:
1. I'm the only ITS car
2. The SRFs are about the same lap times as me but we make speed in very different ways. I lift on the backstraight to keep from catching them at the kink.
3. The SRFs can speak for themselves as to bashing. I prefer to race without contact....

Gary Gentry
01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I want to re-cast my vote for the SARRC/SARRC/CCPS/CCPS scenario.....

jjjanos
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Status update including the proposed date of the event?

JeffYoung
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
It's on the SEDiv schedule at www.sedivracing.org (http://www.sedivracing.org).

I believe the actual race schedule was discussed at Jekyll Island but I will let others who were there provide the details.

seckerich
02-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Pending approval of the track on hours of opperation we will be running a Double SARRC/Double CCPS at a minimum. Updates as they are available. Date is Aug 20/21

JeffYoung
02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Woohoo! Great work guys (Steve, Rex, Blair, Heather, and everyone else who worked on this).

Many thanks.

Cobrar05
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
its the ecr idea dead? being excluded for having a v8 sucks.

jjjanos
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM
It's on the SEDiv schedule at www.sedivracing.org (http://www.sedivracing.org).

I believe the actual race schedule was discussed at Jekyll Island but I will let others who were there provide the details.

Thanks. The SEDIV site was NFG yesterday and I needed to submit vacation requests.

seckerich
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Changes made at the Jekyll meeting are not reflected on the website yet. Date is set for Charlotte.

iambhooper
02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I guess I need to start looking for a deal on a cool suit!

seckerich
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
its the ecr idea dead? being excluded for having a v8 sucks.

For Charlotte it would be more because of the 1.5 hours compared to 45 minutes that would exclude the ECR. Give us time to see what can be worked out. Just remember that 1.5 hours under the lights at Charlotte will not be cheap.:D

Cobrar05
02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
its the exclusion from the ccps that bugs me.

Hotshoe
02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Woohoo! Great work guys (Steve, Rex, Blair, Heather, and everyone else who worked on this).

Many thanks.

Ditto...........
I can see it now.............. The cars, the lights............ Beautiful:023:

Mike Mackaman
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I have my girls that weekend! I am so psyc'd! The frame is almost straight, just haven't touched it in too long. I am in the shop tomorrow night! With the extra ponies I have since i last raced there, my now zumbaized butt being lighter and more fit, and having a racing budget for the first time in over 10 years, I am there! And it is 14 days after the divorce is final so the b$#*@& can kiss my hairy backside! I have hearing protection for the girls and they have all the ipod, ds, cell phones they can want. Hell I will bring them the xbox if they want. I am racing CMS!

Mike

I ran my first drivers school there in like '92-93 and have loved it ever since!

Simon T.
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
How is this event looking?

seckerich
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Registration will be open soon. Getting some things worked out in supps after not runnig CMS for a few years.

JeffYoung
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Great work guys. Really looking forward to it.

Simon T.
07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Cool, it looks like my first race will be this or Barber, can't decide which yet. Both are about the same distance.

JeffYoung
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Simon, don't want to discourage you, but I'd strongly suggest Barber for your first race. CMS is a lot of fun, but it can tear up a car. Barber is more forgiving with much better run off.

For your first race, you may want to give Barber a shot.

Cool, it looks like my first race will be this or Barber, can't decide which yet. Both are about the same distance.

Simon T.
07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Cool I'll keep that in mind, haven't driven either just the kart infield course at Charlotte. I'm not too worried about walls but that would suck to stuff it first time out. :p

SPiFF
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Barber has torn up some cars .....

Simon T.
07-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Barber has torn up some cars .....

What track hasn't? :shrug: I think he was just saying CMS had less runoff room, which from the videos I've watched seems to be true.

TomL
07-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't let the runoff issue affect which one you run at. Both tracks have a bunch of areas where you can hit something fairly hard if you make a mistake. However, Charlotte does have a couple, T3/4 on the banking and Turn 1, where if you hit the wall, it's likely to be a big one. On the other hand, the only time I've done any damage to my car (in 6 events at Barber and about 10 at CMS) was at Barber - once off the end of the back straight and once when hit by another car. Just don't drive like an idiot :D.

Simon T.
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't let the runoff issue affect which one you run at. Both tracks have a bunch of areas where you can hit something fairly hard if you make a mistake. However, Charlotte does have a couple, T3/4 on the banking and Turn 1, where if you hit the wall, it's likely to be a big one. On the other hand, the only time I've done any damage to my car (in 6 events at Barber and about 10 at CMS) was at Barber - once off the end of the back straight and once when hit by another car. Just don't drive like an idiot :D.

Yeah I won't decide purely on that, 99% of the rest of my experience has been at Road Atlanta and I know what those walls can do to cars. :p

JeffYoung
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I just think Barber has on the whole a LOT more runoff than Charlotte. Charlotte, other than down in turn 3-4 in the infield, is pretty much a concrete cave.

Fun though.

Yeah I won't decide purely on that, 99% of the rest of my experience has been at Road Atlanta and I know what those walls can do to cars. :p

Simon T.
07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I just think Barber has on the whole a LOT more runoff than Charlotte. Charlotte, other than down in turn 3-4 in the infield, is pretty much a concrete cave.

Fun though.

I do agree, from the on board videos I've seen CMS looks a lot tighter than Barber.

Is there much of a entry fee cost between the two or do we not know that yet?

Russ Myers
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Do like me, and plan to do both. Double at the home track, Charlotte, and sunday only at Barber. No races in june or july to save up the cash.

Russ

Simon T.
07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Do like me, and plan to do both. Double at the home track, Charlotte, and sunday only at Barber. No races in june or july to save up the cash.

Russ

I wish I could do that. lol I'm finishing up the car right now and am on a very small budget as it is.

Ron Earp
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Registration will be open soon. Getting some things worked out in supps after not runnig CMS for a few years.

Is registration going though the SC region? If the SC region runs the event will the NC ITE rules be in effect or something else? I am guessing something else but want to check as I might have an ITE car to bring down to CMS.

seckerich
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Ron it is NCR and CCR. Nothing to do with SC region. DLB is the plan and will have a link up as soon as possible. Schedule now is for Double SARRC/Double CCPS with Big bore and CCPS running Saturday night under the lights. Rest of the SARRCS race Sunday after lunch due to CMS quiet time until noon Sunday. Lets everyone sleep in and sleep off the late party.:happy204:

Ron Earp
07-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Ron it is NCR and CCR..

Cool. So NCR ITE rules would work for the SARRC stuff I think. I hope to come and get in my races for the year since I've been MIA for 2011. Hating selling the Z and not racing with you guys this year but it was time to move on to something with EFI and no drum brakes!

Cobrar05
07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
this is just so hard. ron, are you aware that sarrc has a class called ITO? ITO is available for each SARRC event.

why people still register for ITE when you can points race in ITO makes me crazy

Ron Earp
07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
this is just so hard. ron, are you aware that sarrc has a class called ITO? ITO is available for each SARRC event.

why people still register for ITE when you can points race in ITO makes me crazy

Never hear about ITO in the NCR SCCA. I'm logbooked as ITE. Where are the ITO rules?

EDIT

Nevermind, found them on the SEDIV site

http://www.sedivracing.org/2011SEDivRegionalClassRules.pdf

Looks like you can't have a replica in ITO. So in ITE I will stay.

R

Cobrar05
07-11-2011, 08:36 PM
a replica? what do you mean?

Ron Earp
07-11-2011, 09:26 PM
a replica? what do you mean?

Of a Lola T70. Originals are a bit spendy!

http://www.gt40s.com/images/lola/utcc/IMG_8609.jpg

We'll be back up at VIR testing this weekend and then the following weekend running it in the UTCC and maybe for the NASA race weekend if all goes well.

Simon T.
07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Of a Lola T70. Originals are a bit spendy!

http://www.gt40s.com/images/lola/utcc/IMG_8609.jpg

We'll be back up at VIR testing this weekend and then the following weekend running it in the UTCC and maybe for the NASA race weekend if all goes well.

That thing is awesome!

cjb25hs
07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Any updates on when the supps and registration will be open?

seckerich
07-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Will open tomorrow on DLB. Supps and schedule (Without Sanction number) if you want to see the format. Garage rentals will open next week and will be on first come basis. Cup and Nationwide are both available for $100 for the weekend. Track will let us know early next week if they are going to offer a test day.

This site will not let me upload PDF, sorry.

ITA_honda
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
With a big thanks to Chris Braunlich I will be coming down from Cleveland, Ohio to race. This will be my first time at Charlotte Motor Speedway and I am looking forward to it.

cschimmel
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Will open tomorrow on DLB. Supps and schedule (Without Sanction number) if you want to see the format. Garage rentals will open next week and will be on first come basis. Cup and Nationwide are both available for $100 for the weekend. Track will let us know early next week if they are going to offer a test day.

This site will not let me upload PDF, sorry.
Steve,
How are the garages being handled as far as reserving them goes.Will the track handle it or will the Region handle it . Looking forward to getting one ,especially if we have the heat we're having now.
Thanks for your (everyone involved) hard work getting us back at Charlotte.
Chris

seckerich
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
The region is handling the garages. I think we will just number them with a map on DLB and let you pick on a first come basis. Either way they will not be posted until next week so all are still available. I swear it was 30 degrees cooler just stepping inside them. We met with track officials Wednesday and finalized layout for grid. There are 100 ft long parking spaces in front of every garage but we will be using 50 ft of some of the Nationwide garages for grid so we will get people with smaller rigs to use those. It has been a lot of work by many people to go back after 5 years away, but it will be worth it.

JeffYoung
07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Great work guys!

Is this up on DLB racing yet? I am not able to find it for some reason.

iambhooper
07-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Great work guys!

Is this up on DLB racing yet? I am not able to find it for some reason.

The Bat Mobile now has a functioning cool suit system... I'm ready. Let's get it on! :D

TomL
07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
When I access DLBracing.com, I can get to the CMS race listing. However, when I try to register all that comes up is the registration for the Memorial Monster race (which is listed as "closed"). I don't know if that is just a placeholder and the real CMS registration is still not up or if there was a mistake and the wrong stuff is on the site. In any case, I can't register. Help.

JeffYoung
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm...I'm not even able to get that far. I don't see anything on the calendar for Charlotte? August 20 right?

TomL
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Try hitting "calendar" on the right side of the top bar. Then hit August 20, and it shows up. I've since tried it a bunch of other ways and it didn't come up for me either. I must have just gotten lucky.:)

seckerich
07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Have a little patience, nobody has your number yet.:D Impatiently waiting on sanction number but they are out of office in Kansas until tomorrow. Everything is a go.

Worker breaks when needed Worker breaks when needed Worker breaks when needed Worker breaks when needed Worker breaks when needed
Sessions scheduled consecutively.
A one hour lunch at approximately noon
Drivers meeting during the lunch break, at the Cup Tech building. Failure to attend drivers meeting may result in the loss of qualifying times.
Sat Qualifying (SARRC 1) 15 min.
Groups 1-6

Lunch Break near 12:00
Some races will run before lunch.
Races (SARRC 1)
16 laps/ 30 min.
Groups 1-5
Qualifying 15 Min for SARRC Race 2 (SUN)
And Sunday CCPS
DINNER BREAK
Group 1 (Race 2 )
16 laps/30 min

CCPS Race 45 min.
Group 6
Sessions scheduled consecutively.
Sunday

Mandatory Quiet Time
Until 12 Noon
No race motors allowed
12:05 pm Sunday

Hardship Practice
10 Minute CCPS only
CCPS Race - 45 min.
Group6
Hardship open wheel
10 Min
Hardship Closed wheel 10 Min
Races 16 laps 30 min.
Groups 2-5

17:00 Secure Course
Hardship for CCPS Sunday morning is to give all CCPS entries a chance to check car out after Saturday Night Race.
With 2 more hardship and both open wheel groups running early there should be ample time to prepare for SARRC races for those running both.

Please note Group 1 Saturday night race will be near dark and CCPS will use CMS lighting so come prepared.
Sessions

Here is the schedule as best I can copy and paste. We will qualify all groups, then race the Saturday SARRC races. Next will be Sunday Sarrc qualifier. Break for dinner and run Group 1 big bore under lights followed by a 45 min CCPS under the lights.

Second CCPS will run first thing after noon on Sunday with a 10 minute warm up to check car and bed brakes after Saturday night race. Then we will run the remaining SARRC groups to finish Sunday.

Mark Gray
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I still can't find the event on DBL Racing to register...

What am I doing wrong????:shrug:

seckerich
07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Try this to go directly to registration.

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sedivracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=4732&LMID=486

Let me know if you have any problems so I can get it fixed. Garage rental will open later.

iambhooper
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Try this to go directly to registration.

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sedivracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=4732&LMID=486

Let me know if you have any problems so I can get it fixed. Garage rental will open later.

I think I'm registered. It was kinda slow... but it could be the hotel interweb connect.

A few questions:
1) where do we add a 2nd driver?
2) check, no plastic? I don't know if I could afford to race if actually have to "pay" for it :D
Thanks!
hoop

cjb25hs
07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like I am the first registered according the entry list. Never registered for 2 drivers splitting SARRC and CCPS, how is this done, does the second driver have to register for the event under their own account?

seckerich
07-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Just email Vicki what you plan to run and we can fix it from the registrars side. We will both be without computer access until later tomorrow so expect a reply then.

madrabbit15
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
My memory is not that good, or it has been a really long time since racing at CMS. Question, Are the garage spaces big enough for two cars to share, or is it clearly only enough room for one car?

JeffYoung
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Chris, you have Travers old car right? He was very competitive in it last ITS race at Charlotte -- I think you will have fun.

I'm signed up. Mark -- it's pretty easy to find on DLB now.

Tom L -- that ITS car of yours would love the banking!

Looks like I am the first registered according the entry list. Never registered for 2 drivers splitting SARRC and CCPS, how is this done, does the second driver have to register for the event under their own account?

Hotshoe
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Woooooooooo Hoooooooo .......Signed up and ready to fly under the lights.

A BIG Thank You to all that made this happen...........:023:

cjb25hs
07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Chris, you have Travers old car right? He was very competitive in it last ITS race at Charlotte -- I think you will have fun.

Thats correct Jeff, I have Travers old car. Can't wait, have a good friend coming down from Cleveland to split the double/double. Hoping to have the car more reliable with a stock fuel tank and some other minor things cleaned up. Of course the best bang for the buck is new tires:happy204:

JeffYoung
07-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Excellent.

I'll be disappointed if we have less than 15 S cars, although we have 5 signed up already and Mssrs. Hines, Parrish, Parrish, Mackaman, Eckerich and Thompson are not on the list. That makes 10 right there.

Thats correct Jeff, I have Travers old car. Can't wait, have a good friend coming down from Cleveland to split the double/double. Hoping to have the car more reliable with a stock fuel tank and some other minor things cleaned up. Of course the best bang for the buck is new tires:happy204:

Bryan88
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I think I'm registered.......was having some problems with dlb.....

Ron Earp
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I think I am registered. However I have to fix it, all screwed up.

seckerich
07-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Good to see you and Jeff entered after all the work you two did to get this race back on the schedule. We would not be racing at Charlotte if you had not put in the time to put initial numbers together for our BOD to look at. :023:

Drop Vicki a note if you need anything fixed, she will be home for the next 2 weeks on leave recuperating.

Mark Gray
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey Ron,

What is this???

ITE
39 Ron Earp Yellow 1966 RCR Lola T70 Spyder Team Yellow Snow

Ron Earp
07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey Ron,

What is this???

ITE
39 Ron Earp Yellow 1966 RCR Lola T70 Spyder Team Yellow Snow

That yellow car a few pages back. We've been working on making it an enduro car and there isn't any reason it can't come to CMS and turn a few laps. More of a testing thing for us than racing. Wish I had my ITS Z (well, not really but for this race, yes) so I could race with you guys. Can't be Team Improved Pirate anymore as I don't have a skull on my car. However, it is mighty yellow so Yellow Snow works.

Good to see you and Jeff entered after all the work you two did to get this race back on the schedule. We would not be racing at Charlotte if you had not put in the time to put initial numbers together for our BOD to look at. :023:

Happy to offer a bit of help. Proof positive that change CAN HAPPEN, even in the SCCA! :)

Mark Gray
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
That yellow car a few pages back. We've been working on making it an enduro car and there isn't any reason it can't come to CMS and turn a few laps. More of a testing thing for us than racing.

That is machine is going to be a blast at speed at Lowes!:eclipsee_steering:

I am old enough to remember the originals!

JeffYoung
07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Chris you might want to check our registration. You're listed just CCPS now -- hope you run the SARRC with us. Should be very competitive race.

cjb25hs
07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Chris you might want to check our registration. You're listed just CCPS now -- hope you run the SARRC with us. Should be very competitive race.

Yep, running both the double sarrc and double ccps. Splitting the races with Greg Vandersluis. We will each run a sarrc and we are going to do driver change in both ccps

JeffYoung
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
You might want to check your registration. Doesn't look like you are signed up for the SARRC.

Yep, running both the double sarrc and double ccps. Splitting the races with Greg Vandersluis. We will each run a sarrc and we are going to do driver change in both ccps

Mark Gray
07-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Steve, will there be a test day? How do we reserve garage space?

seckerich
07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
We are setting the garages up to open for rental on Monday. Track will give us an answer then on test day as well. I will post as soon as I know and send emails to everyone registered so far.

iambhooper
07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
We are setting the garages up to open for rental on Monday. Track will give us an answer then on test day as well. I will post as soon as I know and send emails to everyone registered so far.

In the past, didnt they limit the amount of cars out for the test day to 50?

hoop

JeffYoung
07-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Revved up for this one. The banking at Charlotte is just way, way cool. We've got 7 or 8 S cars already signed up with some regulars not on the list, so I suspect we will have 15 or so by the time the event rolls around.

That will be one hell of a RX7/Z car/TR8 draft on the banks.

Should be a ton of fun.

Ron Earp
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
That is machine is going to be a blast at speed at Lowes!:eclipsee_steering:

Let's hope that isn't a literal statement.

I have to get the shifter straightened out before it can come. One of the cables stiffened up at the UTCC and I need to figure out if it was a temporary mis-adjustment thing or a component is damaged.

Harvey
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
anything on the test day?

Aged racer
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Are the garage rentals all reserved? Registered this morning, could not find anything about it.

thks- Steve

ITA_honda
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
There WILL NOT be a Friday test day (according to DLB racing)

Russ Myers
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Are the garage rentals all reserved? Registered this morning, could not find anything about it.

thks- Steve

Damn, and I was so hoping to snatch the points lead from you. Oh, well.

Russ

Harvey
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Steve

It is sort of strange but it is above the race as a separate registration, almost like another event.

Les

Hotshoe
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
anything on the test day?

Quoted by Estus White:

I am trying to determine the feasibility of a pre race test day, and quite honestly at this late of a date it most likely is not possible to organize one, but I decided to put this feeler out there anyway.

OK, here is the deal. SCCA could not lock in a Friday test day at Charlotte because of prior Speedway commitments, so there is no event test day.

We can rent the track for a private test on Tuesday the 16 of August. It will take a minimum of 35 cars to break even at around $300.00 each. (I do not have exact quotes on insurance and other necessities yet.)

I need a quick head count of drivers that would be willing to commit to the test day (ON TUESDAY before the race). If I can get enough response, I'll contact the Speedway again and set it up.

I don't have any email addresses except CCPS so please forward this to anyone that might have an interest in this possible Tuesday test day.

Thanks,
Estus White
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..... So, if you guys want to have a Test Day.......... Here's your chance.....
..... And ..... Thank You Estus for trying to put something together.........

seckerich
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Still have some garages available.

JeffYoung
08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
136 cars signed up as of today. Good turnout, could get even better. Nice job by CCR and NCR to put this one on. Many thanks.

SPiFF
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
When is the last day to register?

JeffYoung
08-12-2011, 03:54 AM
THE MORNING OF.

Zsolt, get your butt down here. Your car will love this track. 12 ITS cars right now, and I know of 3-4 that might come out. IT group is the biggest of the SARRC races.

seckerich
08-12-2011, 12:48 PM
If you have ever been to a CCR race you will see we put customer service first and do not give you any grief about late entry. If you think you might come go ahead and enter as you just bring a check to registration anyway.

SPiFF
08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Just dreaming at this point. Less then 1 in 10 chance of being able to go. :(

Bryan88
08-16-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm getting a lot of questions from people who want to watch the Saturday Night Carolina Cup from the stands......What time will it start.???......Will the front gates be open for spectators ????....The reason for this question is because the front gates are usually closed about 5:00 to 6:00 PM every night......Is there any cost to go into the stands to watch ?????

seckerich
08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Good question Bryan, we had not made any plans to have this as a spectator race so no arrangements have been made for use of the stands. I will ask management what the rules are, but there are bleachers around some portions of the infield, and the front straight. I would not plan on entry to grandstand.

Aged racer
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Steve- can we get entry to the track before registration opens? I was thinking of leaving early enough to beat some of the traffic, which would get us to the track around 3:00PM.

thks

Ron Earp
08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Is there anywhere to purchase food inside the track?

JeffYoung
08-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Honestly don't remember......

Sandwhich places about 10 minutes up the road.

seckerich
08-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Track is talking to a vendor to get them to open for food. All of them are just renters and make their own decision to open on a given weekend. We will try to get the gates open before 5:00, but it turns into a zoo and we have to control parking for garages, and the open areas so everyone will have room. There will be paddock people directing you to the proper area, so please work with them. If you have an open trailer you do not work off of we will have an area to drop them inside Nascar 3. Some garages are still available the day of with no change in fees, still $100 for the weekend. The BP across from the track had 1000 gallons of extra 110 race fuel delivered today so fuel should not be a problem for anyone, there is no fuel inside the track as they use some funky ethenol blend. All drivers can expect an email tonight with all details about the weekend. Anything else I need to cover let me know.

iambhooper
08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Steve, I'm not certain if this has been covered, so I'll ask again... CCPS Co-driver registration, do I just need to be concerned about it at registration? There wasn't a spot on DLB for him.

Otherwise, great job! I'm looking forward to blinking at the banking from 3! :D

hoop

seckerich
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
All the reports are printed so just let them fix you up at registration. No charge for extra driver so you are fine.

Ron Earp
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd like to express thanks to all that were involved with the Charlotte race this weekend. Registration and tech were smooth and easy. Everyone I spoke with was extremely happy to be back racing at CMS and it seemed that a good time was had by most.

There were a few scheduling snags but I'm sure they were handled as best that could be done. I think the proper way to handle those squatters would have been to send a few SPO and GT1 cars around at full throttle - things would have cleared off quick!

Turned out was pretty strong and I hope the regions are able to justify a return next year. Great job!

Ron

JeffYoung
08-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Yes, great job by everyone involved during a HOT weekend. 175 car turnout was great, and I hope that means we are back next year. If you have not run CMS, going balls out into turn 3 is quite the experience.

Hats off to the workers and region folks who pulled this one.

Jeff

cjb25hs
08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Great job with this event evryone! Really enjoyed Saturday even though I only did 2 laps for Sunday SARRC qualifying and took the first 10min pace lap for saturday night CCPS :( Car has some serious wiring issues. Hard to fix it when you dont know whats there from the PO's!

Was really happy for the car holding together almost long enough for my co-driver Greg Vandersluis to put some good laps down for the first 2 qualifying sessions. He qualified 9th for the SARRC and then the car wouldnt start, got the plugs changed and he started last and made it up to 5th overall 4th in S catching Jeff before the yellow came out. Then the wiring fuel pressure showed its ugly head.

All in all it was fun, enjoyed the experience of being at CMS even though I spent most of the time trying to make the car run.

I am done for this year. Going to save up some money and make this car reliable and fun next year.

New harness, motor refresh, 5:12 diff and rebuild the shocks should bring this car to life and hopefully out of mid-pack status when it does run.:blink:

Hotshoe
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, great job by everyone involved during a HOT weekend. 175 car turnout was great, and I hope that means we are back next year. If you have not run CMS, going balls out into turn 3 is quite the experience.

Hats off to the workers and region folks who pulled this one.

Jeff

....Ditto that............ Hot ----YES....... Fun-----you bet

Racing under the lights was "The Bomb" Man what an experience. Going over the rise into turn three was almost like driving with your eyes closed.... WOW.

Had quite a battle up front with the Acura Integra Type R during the CCPS race "Under the Lights". We were nose to tail at 140+ on the oval..... Just praying nothing goes flat or breaks :blink:

Steve Eckerich.......... Class Act..... You made the difference and I Thank You. Your efforts were above and beyond :023:

seckerich
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
You are welcome Ricky. Longer post tonight after I get done with the race audit.:rolleyes:

Results link.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=702770

And place it on your schedule for 2012, we will do it again with major improvements. Everyone entered will be getting an email soon to ask for your suggestions for next year. I used to hate CMS, but I have been converted after this weekend.

JeffYoung
08-22-2011, 04:47 PM
It's a fun track. I was "lost" in the infield and especially the entrance to the banking but still almost got into the 26s. Definitely think all of us in ITS were capable of 25s with some seat time.

Fun track. Interesting strategies on passing.

My only suggesting is a clearer rule on how far inside the white line in 3a and 3b you are allowed to go. It certainly seemed the "more" inside I went the better my laptimes, but it felt a bit like a-cheatin'.

Parrish57
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
My only suggesting is a clearer rule on how far inside the white line in 3a and 3b you are allowed to go. It certainly seemed the "more" inside I went the better my laptimes, but it felt a bit like a-cheatin'.

the last time we raced there they lined the inside of those corners with empty plastic drums. The limits were very clearly defined then!

seckerich
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
OK, Long post on weekend. 175-180 cars with great weather. Saturday started with the Charlotte Hornets booster club (hornets nest) all over the infield starting at 6:00 am setting up for autofair that is a week away?? :blink: Big wig informed us he was not leaving so management for CMS had to come to the track to remove them. Next year we will hand out paintball guns to group 1 and give deductions for every hit. Had time in the schedule after open wheel was combined so we caught back up. Big groups with some real good racing. After group 2 we realised there were quite a few number problems, turned out the orbits software was defaulting to the race from May at CMP. I am too stupid to run it so left it to more able folks to fix. Results were a challenge to say the least but the workers pulled it together and got things fixed. :023:

As some have mentioned we did have some real creative corner cutting because CMS paved a large area inside 3A-3B for the drift crowd, and we were not allowed barrels by safety. We will find an alternative next race. Special thanks to all the drivers that came to me with problems with a great attitude so we could get them fixed, this was my first race at CMS as chair and EVERYTHING had changed since 2006. Track officials and security were incredible and I still can not believe they rolled that fork lift so fast Saturday night to get the armco fixed to continue the CCPS race. I was driving the pace car for that race and figured we would run the clock out before going back green. As I said in my earlier post please be brutally honest in your emails to me about what needs fixed for next year, I want this to be a great future race for us all.

Race Chair hat off, driver hat on.

Only had time to run one race and still work, so I brought train wreck out. Had the wrong gear in with no time to change so had to live with it. Hooked up on the bumper of "the shape of the future" TR8 of Jeff Young and he punched a big enough hole to drive my trailer through. Still could not stick on his bumper through 3-4 as I kept bogging down and would gain some back in the tri oval. He did help me a 10th to get the grid spot in front of him.
By race time I knew I had to try something else so I just twisted a lower gear longer to keep under the bumper of the cars in front. ITS Mazda's will turn past 9000.:blink: Had a run on Chuck Hines coming into 3 but stayed in the draft and pushed him through the corner so he closed real fast on the lead pair of Thompson and Parrish. He ducked right between the wall and Parrish in the brake zone and the car stepped out and they were both collected into the wall. I will leave fault to those involved. Dove to the bottom to avoid and ended up right on the bumper of Kent. Went full course and when we went back green I just stayed glued to his bumper and let him pull me. We ran the second half of the race within a 10th every lap. Last lap Kent got a bad exit on the banking and I got right to his bumper down the back straight. We had an IT7 mid track entering 3 so it was decision time. To hard to pull down so I went very high to the wall and the IT7 moved down giving Kent the middle line. I got a good run down the banking and closed fast but Kent saw me at the last minute and covered the line. No time for another move so he got a much deserved win. :smilie_pokal:

Pulled the car in the trailer and went to work as race chair.

iambhooper
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
....Ditto that............ Hot ----YES....... Fun-----you bet

Racing under the lights was "The Bomb" Man what an experience. Going over the rise into turn three was almost like driving with your eyes closed.... WOW.

Had quite a battle up front with the Acura Integra Type R during the CCPS race "Under the Lights". We were nose to tail at 140+ on the oval..... Just praying nothing goes flat or breaks :blink:

Steve Eckerich.......... Class Act..... You made the difference and I Thank You. Your efforts were above and beyond :023:

I think someone owes us all a look at their in car cam video of a certain spin :blink:

Steve, thanks to you and Vicky for all the hard work!

Trackrat ITR 81
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=iambhooper;326743]I think someone owes us all a look at their in car cam video of a certain spin :blink:

Too bad my GoPro was pointed rearward or I would have had a really memorable vid.

However...I can describe it in vivid, detail :o

:023: to Ricky for keeping it off the walls.

It was great to be back at CMS again. What a great event. Kudos to the SCCA crew!

SPiFF
08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey TrackRat. Nice lap time Sunday. Represent for the VTEC crew. :D Will you come out to any more SCCA races this year? Goblins or the ARRC?

Trackrat ITR 81
08-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks Dood! Still plenty of opportunity for improvement

Gonna do VIR Goblins and maybe ARRC.

Russ Myers
08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Where can we get copies of official results for contengiency prizes? I never could get results for group 4.

Russ

ITA_honda
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Im just throwing this out there...doesnt it really suck to go back to work the week after an amazing race weekend like we had?:(

Seriously though, thanks to all who were involved in making this event a success. Im glad I made the trip down to race. The facility at CMS is wonderful and the people make it even better. If there is another race in 2012 planned, Im there.

And yes, there is no better feeling that going in to turn 3 balls out, feel that car set...and just go for it. Not to mention all you can see is the pavement and wall..that is crazy

Trackrat ITR 81
08-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Where can we get copies of official results for contengiency prizes? I never could get results for group 4.

Russ

Officials said final results may not be available until Wed or Thurs. There were some T&S challenges to work out.

SPiFF
08-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks Dood! Still plenty of opportunity for improvement

Gonna do VIR Goblins and maybe ARRC.

Sweet. I will be at both. Long time no see.

seckerich
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Russ

As soon as I get full official results I will post them in PDF form on the CCR site so you can get copies. I understand there were a few protests and stewards action in some groups.

Russ Myers
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Steve. I'll be back next year. I love that track.

Russ

iambhooper
08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Im just throwing this out there...doesnt it really suck to go back to work the week after an amazing race weekend like we had?:(

True that! I know it's a roval, but I love that place!

cjb25hs
08-25-2011, 08:31 AM
No need to dwell on the obvious with the grid problems for the Saturday night CCPS.

Only suggestion I have is possibly tweaking the schedule so if you are running both a double CCPS and double SARRC that Saturday isn't so busy. I know with the restriction on Sunday start time that may be hard to do. Maybe instead of having a CCPS hardship on Sunday, make it the Sunday qualifier and moving the CCPS to later in the schedule since Group 2 is no the only group that runs in it.

seckerich
08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Not much room to change either day around. I did have the run groups flipped for Sunday (6-5-4-3-2) where open wheel was supposed to run after the CCPS to give more transition time. Somehow it got switched back with all the changes to the supps by different officials. That is one of the downsides to electronic forms, you can miss a small change that does not get saved. We will look at the schedule and see if we can make it better.

Mazmarc63
08-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I need some video. Mine is 16 years old and on VHS.:shrug:

JeffYoung
08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Still installing mine....

seckerich
08-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Careful Mark, he called me a washed up dinosaur on the RR board and now you admit to VHS. I had no camera in but Parrish did and might share. Stewards might still have his though.

JeffYoung
08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey! I called you a grizzled old veteran......

I'll e-mail Steve P.

Was there a decision by the Stewards on the Sunday incident? I noticed that Mylaps had the final results up.

Careful Mark, he called me a washed up dinosaur on the RR board and now you admit to VHS. I had no camera in but Parrish did and might share. Stewards might still have his though.

seckerich
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Results posted on the CCR website.

http://www.ccrscca.com/

Russ Myers
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank you, Steve. Great job, great race, and, really. a great weekend.

Russ

MSPERBER
08-26-2011, 10:37 PM
One of my favorite racing memorys, thanks everyone who participated, I can say I raced under the lights:), but my silly camera didn't work, somebody post up a couple of laps please!

Parrish57
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM

I didn't have video.... Chuck Hines did. I REALLY REALLY wish he would post it!

Mark Gray
09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I didn't have video.... Chuck Hines did. I REALLY REALLY wish he would post it!

I was to far back to see the actual crash....

Here is what I recorded:

The Start"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDvu7LV9P4

The Re-start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmg0hLYy8c

Steve,
Are you going to be able to make the SIC?