PDA

View Full Version : Going Rate For ITA Car Rental?

arpenn
12-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for renting a ITA car for a double regional? What is normally included, what are the normal terms?

downingracing
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I've got packages that start with you picking the car up from me, providing your own brakes and tires, and returning the car to me. All the way to "arrive and drive" package where you show up at the track and just drive! Prices start cheap and go up... You're responsible for any damage to the car (your fault or not). Standard rental agreement applies to all rentals. PM me if you're looking for something in the Mid-Ohio area. Right now, I've got a Miata that can be ITA/SM available for rent.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons of renting with you. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not doing this rental thing to make money. I'm doing it to help get folks into the sport. Of course, getting some money back for the purchase and upkeep is nice too!

Matt

Andy Bettencourt
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
What kind of ITA car? Meaning one that can win? Set a track record? Or just 'participate'? I ask because we have many renters who run our SM's in ITA - but the rate for my car would be different...

Like Matt asked: what do you want included? Pick up and drop off or full arrive and drive? And then there are a ton of options inside those options...data? Video?

ITA_honda
12-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Matt is absolutly right about this rental stuff. There are pros and cons about it but Matt's cars are very reliable and fast. I happen to know this from experience. Matt can confirm that. :D

Flyinglizard
12-15-2010, 01:28 AM
900$ plus transport and race fuel, plus crash deposit. crap tires. Good tires are your own, Dinner and rooms are on you.MM

arpenn
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys for the reply's. I guess I didn't make my original post as clear as I should have and I am very sorry. I was wanting to know what you guy's charge to rent your cars. I have a guy that is wanting to rent our ITA car for an upcoming Midiv double weekend. We have never rented our car before and have no idea what is a fair amount. Our car is capable of winning at this track and even held the track record up until 2 years ago. The tow to the track is 242 miles one way. I would like to know how you guy's charge and what you include. Also how do you deal with damage to the car from an accident? What do you do if say the engine blew or a hub brakes etc? Does anyone have a contract they would be willing to share with me? Any pointers and help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

joeg
12-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Arrive & Drive?

Better to figure a charge per mile on the tow--$1.00 per mile may not be out of hand.

Renter pays for any and all damage and any consumables (race fuel/ tires, etc.). The only issue is setting a total loss value on the car and using that for a deposit.

You can judge mechanical breakage issues for yourself and if you feel something is your fault, cut the guy a break if you want to foster good will. However, going in, the renter has to understand it's his dime for everything and anything.

Obviously a scratch or a crash is the renter's fault, and you would urge him to make his own walk-around existing damage assessment before he gets in the driver's seat.

Put it in writing.

arpenn
12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes it would be arrive and drive, I would have the car race preped and ready to go. I would also be there throughout the weekend to maintain the car and make adjustments if needed, not that this guy needs me to but because it's too far to drive back home so I will be there anyway.

Andy Bettencourt
12-15-2010, 11:59 AM
So I would decide if you were doing this as a one-time thing or if you may rent it again. If you are thinking about renting to offset costs, think about it very carefully.

Our rental cars (actually all of our cars) have hour meters. We have procative maintenence schedules for EVERYTHING. Things that you REALLY want to be in excellent condition so that you don't have to worry about are:

- Hubs
- Pads
- Rotors
- Tires

Renters will flat spot tires. Have extras.
Renters will bang the car up. Have extra Fenders, CV joints, hubs, rotors, pads, wheels, a transmission, clutch, etc. You going to swap that stuff if it goes bad?

Collect a damage deposit. If your guy can't afford it, he can't afford to fix it.

Have a rev limiter. Have data. Have video. What you will end up with is proof if there is a dispute.

Figure out how many times you could rent this year. Total up costs for new hubs, brakes and tires. Then add in your REAL transport fees, food, lodging, racecar gas, post race maint, garage?, etc. Amortize where neccessary. Come up with your costs.

In the end, it aint cheap if you actually want to turn a profit. We charge a decent amount, offer 'extras' like data and insurance but in the end, it's basically a loss-leader. Most of our arrive and drive clients came through our rental program...and they did because it covers EVERYTHING, they are on-track 100% of the time and they saw how hard that was to do.

Knestis
12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
...and get all terms that you agree to in writing. It's NOT a "contract," but instead a "letter of agreement" so you both know what's expected going in.

K

tnord
12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
things have changed just a leeeetle bit around here since that car ran at the front. i'd say it'd be lucky to be top 5 these days. price your rental accordingly.

preparedcivic
12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
The cost of renting is why I -bought- my ITB car last year to get licensed. Two schools and two Regionals would have likely easily have totaled $1000 to $1500 more than I have in the car, which happens to be an OK mid-pack ride as it sits that came with a ton of spares.

As someone who was looking on the renter end of things, for a Double Regional 250 miles from home base I would expect to pay a minimum of $2000plus any damage incurred, if transport and care and feeding of the car is involved, which I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

Anything less than that I'd say it isn't worth your while.