PDA

View Full Version : Possible 2011 Events

23racer
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I am looking into what events I can possibly do with my potential STU car in 2011. As I am based out of Oakville Ontario (Toronto) I am looking at a 4 1/2 hour tow to Watkins Glen, a 6 1/2 to Mid Ohio and a 7 hour to Gingerman.

Am I missing any possibly closer events, like Nelson Ledges or Waterford Hills? I just want to dip my toes in this year at 1 or 2 events and see if I like the competition. I know that I will have to correlate my license to an SCCA grade, I have held ASN-FIA Pro and CASC National Licenses and presently hold a CASC National. I have been a license holder since 1992 and done NASA events in California and ICSCC events in the Pacific Northwest, in the U.S..

I just want to come down and have some "fun" with the quick guys who run with similar car rules and want to make this as painless as possible, LOL. Crossing the border is bad enough. So any advice on tracks, events and licensing would be appreciated. I have tried to contact the WNY SCCA people a few times in the past with no luck. Any advice as to what Region may be a better choice?

Eric

wepsbee
12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Lime Rock Park, Ct
New Hampshire Motor Speedway, New Hampshire

lateapex911
12-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Toronto?

Well, Watkins Glen would be a prime candidate. Look at the NESCCA website http://www.nescca.com/nescca_main/ to see the events held there by the local regions. Finger lakes Region and NY Region being two of those, but there are more, I think. You can register online at that site as well. You'll need to register.

Another great track not too far from Toronto is Mid Ohio. Great lakes Region might be the contact point, but I'm not sure. The Cincy Region hosts events there as well.

Lime Rock is a longer tow. Short track, 1.53mi, fast, and technical. usually well subscribed regionals.

New Hampshire (Basically go to Boston, and just before you get there, turn left and go north an hour) is even longer, and IMHO, not worth the tow for you.

joeg
12-01-2010, 04:47 PM
By all means, try Nelson Ledges. Talk to Guy Bellingham (an Ontario-based Vee driver). You also have Beaverrun in range.

Both are a lot closer than MO and Lime Rock. Equal in travel distance to Watkins.

RedMisted
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
If you want to have "fun" then that means you want to race. In that case, with all respects to joeg, I'd steer clear of Nelson and Beaverun as the car counts have been pretty low at these tracks the last few years. In fact, Beaver has cancelled THREE regionals in the last two years due to poor event coordination and consequent low car counts. Watkins Glen draws terrific fields at their September regional. Mid Ohio has decent participation.

I know I'm not supposed to diss the tracks in my home region, but if you're spending your hard-earned money on long-range towing to races, dealing w/ all the border b.s. and whatever else, I want to see you get the biggest bang for your buck. (Or is that "looney" in Canada? :))

EBSNASCAR
12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Feel free to come out to Waterford Hills. The schedule should be posted in mid-Decemeber. It will be your best bang for your buck. One qualifying session and three races each weekend.