PDA

View Full Version : Hubs for Civic?

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I need hubs for my '89 Civic Si and I cannot seem to find a place that has them. I can go to HPD, but I'd rather keep my left arm. I am just looking for stock replacements or re-manufactured ones. Does anybody have a place they order from?

Thanks,
Steven

mossaidis
11-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Here's one option.

http://raceshop.sbmsinc.com/

yet I have no personal experience. Talk to Tom B.

Gregg
11-28-2010, 01:10 AM
If you want non-OEM, I'm sure you can go a lot cheaper at a place like Olympus, however $115 (HPD's price) is better than you're gonna see at most dealerships that ship (like Majestic). As you probably know, the front hubs on an ITA Civic/CRX Si are known weak spots (especially after having the extra weight put on the car a few years ago) and untreated ones should be replaced every 1/2 season or so.

You'll likely get a longer lifespan from treated hubs for a quite a bit more money.

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, the Hubs from SBMS seem pretty decently priced, only $75 more per hub compared to Honda and I've heard they last forever.

Gregg- I did find real damage from the crash the other day. A Motor mount bolt hole elongated. Jim hit my wheel, then I assume that pushed the trans/engine over. I guess I should get a whole new set of mounts.

Steven

Gregg
11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Tom's hardened hubs certainly will not last forever and I'd recommend changing them out every 1.5yrs (vs. every 0.5yrs) to be safe. Only you can decide whether that makes them more cost effective in your eyes.

As for the crash damage, it's a good thing that you found that now rather than later, but it's all part of the game we play and the cost of at least some repair should always be factored into your yearly racing budget.

raffaelli
11-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I have done business recently with Tom and was up at his shop this weekend. He does indicate that treated hubs are a must have.

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, it's all part of racing unfortunately. Do you think it is necessary to get all new mounts, or just the one with the elongated hole?

Looking online, it seems that it's either HPD or Tom that has the Front Hubs, being that Tom's last ~3 times as long for twice the price per hub I'm probably going to go with his.

Gregg
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Inspect them and decide.

Also, besides HPD, I always look to see what Majestic's prices are:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

And if you need in a pinch, they sometimes can get things to east coast destinations a bit faster than HPD.

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks Gregg, will do.

Looks like Majestic has the hubs priced a littler higher. They do have the motor mounts though. I called HPD and they didn't have them, but the guy I was talking to didn't seem the most intelligent.

Steven

Gregg
11-29-2010, 09:46 PM
...but the guy I was talking to didn't seem the most intelligent.
Regardless of how intelligent he did or did not seem, he likely knew very well what his availability was and was doing nothing more than trying to help a Honda racer. You should remember that lest you also begin to sound none too intelligent yourself.

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Instead of asking what side engine mount I wanted he just asked what shape it was. Maybe the info on the computer didn't have the mounts labeled by side or something.

Steven

Gregg
11-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Steven-

I would hope you'd realize that the contents of your conversation with the gentleman from HPD are not what's at issue here. During the summer we had a conversation about how to gain the respect of those you race with and others in the paddock. Please take that conversation and my previous post to heart.

Steven McWilliams Jr
11-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I will Gregg, thanks.

Thanks for your help guys,

Steven

Tom Blaney
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Guys:
When you heat treat hubs it is important to use quality base material, that is why I use OEM parts. There are a limited number of aftermarket pieces that are not the same quality and therefore they won't reach the hardness level or durability.

Steven McWilliams Jr
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Tom, you'll probably be getting a call from me within a month or so, I'll have a few basic questions about my engine too, it is supposedly your back-up engine.

Steven

Tom Blaney
12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Really, who's car did you buy?

Steven McWilliams Jr
12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Tom Cavignano's. It was in New Jersey and he did a lot of EMRA stuff. It was a pretty good car out of the box, I'm probably going to start improving it either this or next offseason.

Steven

Tom Blaney
12-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh sure Tom was a good guy, didn't live far from me, and was going to go SCCA but then got into the easy to please EMRA lifestyle. He had some pretty good success with the car.
Ok well keep in touch, you have a good base to start with.