PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

anthony1k
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I did not see anything on roll cages. Do they follow Touring, IT, GT or Production rules. Someone with knowledge please explain.
TIA

Greg Amy
11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
You'll follow the rules labeled "9.4. ROLL CAGES FOR GT AND PRODUCTION BASED CARS"

GA

anthony1k
11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
You'll follow the rules labeled "9.4. ROLL CAGES FOR GT AND PRODUCTION BASED CARS"

GA

Not that I doubt your answer but is this written somewhere? I'm about to redo my cage and I want to be sure.
Thanks

Greg Amy
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Not that I doubt your answer but is this written somewhere? I'm about to redo my cage and I want to be sure.
Thanks
Section 9.4 of the General Competition Rules:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Forms/GCR-Dec.pdf

anthony1k
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Section 9.4 of the General Competition Rules:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Forms/GCR-Dec.pdf

I'm looking for something to the effect "super touring class roll cage rules follow GT rules". Can you point to that somewhere in writing? Or is this an implicit understanding since WC cars are eligible in ST?
Thanks

Greg Amy
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure where the confusion is, it's pretty simple.

The SCCA GCR governs how cars are to be built. Section 9.3.39. "ROLL CAGE/ROLL BAR" states:

"Shall comply with Section 9.4., Driver Protection Structures."

Section 9.4 has two different areas* describing roll cages:

- 9.4 ROLL CAGES FOR GT AND PRODUCTION BASED CARS
and
- 9.4.5. ROLL CAGES FOR FORMULA CARS AND SPORTS RACING
CARS

Super Touring cars are not formula or sports racers; they are based on production cars. Thus you will follow those regs. If there are any Super Touring-specific deviations within those rules, then you'll follow them.

GA

* Yes, there's Appendices I and J, but those are both for cars that have already been tech'd and received their logbooks. Since you're doing a new build, you must follow 9.4.

anthony1k
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure where the confusion is, it's pretty simple.

The SCCA GCR governs how cars are to be built. Section 9.3.39. "ROLL CAGE/ROLL BAR" states:

"Shall comply with Section 9.4., Driver Protection Structures."

Section 9.4 has two different areas* describing roll cages:

- 9.4 ROLL CAGES FOR GT AND PRODUCTION BASED CARS
and
- 9.4.5. ROLL CAGES FOR FORMULA CARS AND SPORTS RACING
CARS

Super Touring cars are not formula or sports racers; they are based on production cars. Thus you will follow those regs. If there are any Super Touring-specific deviations within those rules, then you'll follow them.

GA

* Yes, there's Appendices I and J, but those are both for cars that have already been tech'd and received their logbooks. Since you're doing a new build, you must follow 9.4.

Okay I think I get it now. So if no specific exclusions within 9.4 for ST (i.e. 8 max attachment points vs unlimited) we go with the general rules in 9.4.
Thanks

Greg Amy
11-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Okay I think I get it now. So if no specific exclusions within 9.4 for ST (i.e. 8 max attachment points vs unlimited) we go with the general rules in 9.4.
Correct.

And off the top of my head, I don't think ST is subject to the 8-pts of attachments limitation. - GA

Matt93SE
11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Read 9.4.E.1 and 9.4.E.2. Page 102 and 103 of the GCR linked by Greg. It doesn't get much clearer than that..

for STx, you can build whatever you want for a cage- anywhere from as simple as an IT/SS cage to a full-monty GT cage with 87 attachment points. good luck meeting min weight with that though.