PDA

View Full Version : Tri Link questions

Dano77
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Im thinking about adding a tri-link set up to our car. I have questions pertaining to set-up after the fact and the benifits

1 What was the difference in rear spring size?

2 Did you need to change the front springs afetr the trilink was installed due to oversteer/understeer

what were the differences in the handling of the car,all cars are different so yours may not act like mine. Im just looking for impressions from peaple who have driven both the 4 link with a panhard/track bar and the tri-link.

We attempted to use it around 1997 but failed from poor execution on install. went back to the four link and have not changed it since then, I think its time to try something else to get speed.

joeracerx95
11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Im thinking about adding a tri-link set up to our car. I have questions pertaining to set-up after the fact and the benifits

1 What was the difference in rear spring size?

2 Did you need to change the front springs afetr the trilink was installed due to oversteer/understeer

what were the differences in the handling of the car,all cars are different so yours may not act like mine. Im just looking for impressions from peaple who have driven both the 4 link with a panhard/track bar and the tri-link.

We attempted to use it around 1997 but failed from poor execution on install. went back to the four link and have not changed it since then, I think its time to try something else to get speed.

I ran my car with both setups for about five years each. The advantage of the Tri-link is that you can lower the car more since the rear end doesn't bind. The other advantage, which is probably related to the lack of binding, is that while the car still is a bit tail-happy, it isn't a snap oversteer anymore, it's more predictable. I went with 500lb front and 350lb rear springs. Rear spring diameter is the same, length is dependant on what rear ride height you want.

Dano77
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry should have said rear spring rates,not size. Assuming Ill need more rear spring.

Another advantage will be rear pinion angle adjustment,the lowwer we got with the 4 link the more u-joints wore out/vibrated.

joeracerx95
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Sorry should have said rear spring rates,not size. Assuming Ill need more rear spring.

Another advantage will be rear pinion angle adjustment,the lowwer we got with the 4 link the more u-joints wore out/vibrated.

That why I included the rates also, I wasn't sure which one you wanted.

miketrier
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I immediately changed to the ISC tri-link for my ist gen RX7 and found it worked bery well. Sorry but I have no pre-tri link comparison. My spring rates were 350 front and 150 - 200 rear (alternated). I had the ISC speedway front bar and no rear bar, only a panhard. The car has held a couple track records so I think the setup was pretty good.