PDA

View Full Version : GSL-SE parts onto 12A ITA car?

G-Man
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Newbie needs some help, please. I've got a 1985 12A RX-7 running SCCA ITA. I believe it was originally a Pro7 car out of California (tokico illuminas, front coilovers, six-point welded cage, stock motor and carb, 4.77 LSD)

I've got the chance to strip a 1985 GSL-SE street car, roller (no engine or tranny). It's been stored outside for a couple of years and about to get junked.

What parts can I take from the GSL-SE and put onto my 12A race car and still be legal?
Can I run the GSL-SE bigger brakes and bolt pattern?
Should I grab the rear axle/differential?

I will probably grab fenders and doors for spares.
Anything else?

Thank you for the help.

Knestis
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
The only parts you can legally use are the any identical to those found on a car listed on your ITCS "spec line." If it came on a year/model listed in ITA, go for it. Anything different is a no-go.

K

Greg Amy
11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
...BUT take all the other parts because the GSL-SE was a rare bird and someone will want to buy them from you.

And when you're done, find a place to store the chassis, because yours is a race car and they ain't making any more of those first-gens...just sayin'...

G-Man
11-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the helpful info!
Knestis - sounds like I can't use GSL-SE brake setup on the 12A ITA car, right?

I'm about to put a 1984 GS (12A) street car back onto the road as a non-snow daily driver.
Is it worth putting anything from the GSL-SE onto that car?
Maybe the brakes/rotors/hub setups?
Rear axle?
(That'd give me the stock GS hubs/rotors as spares, and the LSD from the GSL-SE into the street car.)
Is it a bolt-up?
Other ideas that are low on cost, high on reward, medium on effort? :)
Would anyone like that GSL-SE shell for free? (Must pickup very soon, in Colorado)

Andy Bettencourt
11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the helpful info!
Knestis - sounds like I can't use GSL-SE brake setup on the 12A ITA car, right?

I'm about to put a 1984 GS (12A) street car back onto the road as a non-snow daily driver.
Is it worth putting anything from the GSL-SE onto that car?
Maybe the brakes/rotors/hub setups?
Rear axle?
(That'd give me the stock GS hubs/rotors as spares, and the LSD from the GSL-SE into the street car.)
Is it a bolt-up?
Other ideas that are low on cost, high on reward, medium on effort? :)
Would anyone like that GSL-SE shell for free? (Must pickup very soon, in Colorado)

So yes, no big brakes on the 12A. The GSL-SE is an ITS car - or even if it were an ITA car (which it should be) it would be on a different spec line.

If it were me, I would create teh 13B 'frankenstein car' for the street and keep the other 12A and stock bits for when you need them...and you will...

G-Man
11-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the input. Andy, I like your idea.
What I'd install on the street GS would be the rear axle from the GSL-SE and the front parts that would allow me to run the bigger brakes and bolt pattern, right?
Are the parts more than:
Front - whole front strut and hub/rotor assembly to the GS control arm and tension bar?
Rear - whole rear axle bolting up to the GS control arms and struts?
Seems pretty straightforward - am I missing anything?

If I did install the bigger brakes on the ITA car, what class do I end up in?
ITE?
Totally illegal?
ST something?
If I don't care about the class, can I put the GSL-SE stub axles and all that onto the IT parts (which are already coilovers)?