PDA

View Full Version : I'm the first!

lateapex911
10-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow!
I'm the first poster in the first new category on IT.com in years...

So, to make it relevant...

What's the status of the new STL rules?

dickita15
10-26-2010, 06:20 AM
It is unfortunate but understandable that the rules votes that the BOD took on 10/16 could not be edited and proofed for the fastrack deadline but it is my understanding that the CRB is compiling that part of the BOD meeting to be released before next month. In many classes people need to know the rules as the new season starts in 9 weeks.

Greg Amy
10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm the first poster...
You're certainly the poster boy... ;)

Now to find Mickey's topic on weight and move it over here...

Knestis
10-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I almost emailed Greg last week to see if he had registered the SooperTouring.com domain...

K

benspeed
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
OK - since I ran STU this weekend and was wondering - how well would a 944 turbo fare in that class? Or, could I throw a 2.5 turbo in the 968? Just curious...

mossaidis
10-26-2010, 10:51 AM
You're certainly the poster boy... ;)

Now to find Mickey's topic on weight and move it over here...

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28474 please move it

Greg Amy
10-26-2010, 11:02 AM
^^^ Done.

...how well would a 944 turbo fare in that class?
Well, the Audi that won the STU championship was a turbo, but that was under World Challenge rules. If the August Fastrack change is approved, those allowances go away* and you'll have to work with the weight-versus-restrictor size limitation (which I think is pretty cool).

In a nutshell, you'll get to decide your power level based on restrictor size, then based on that you have your weight. If your car is heavy, you get a bigger restrictor; if you can make reasonable power with lower airflow, you get a lighter car. It should make for an interesting exercise.

GA

* I understand the reason for the WC ruleset allowances going away is because it's very difficult to enforce them. But in the end, wasn't STO/STU originally intended for ex-World Challenge cars...?

benspeed
10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
The progression for the 968 is to move into STU at some point 2-3 seasons out. The class is too cool - allows all kinds of fun ways to tweak the car. But regarding motor - throwing the 2.5 turbo in there might do me much better on weight and is a cheaper motor to build than converting a 3.0 into a turbo.

A STU 2.5 turbo would allow me to run the car at 2770 lbs with a 37mm restrictor. I could get some serious power to the wheels in that config :-)

With my 3.0 N/A motor I have to run at 3300 or 3055 in ITR trim...

This all assumes I'm allowed to put a 2.5 turbo in a 968 - didn't come from the factory that way...

Based on this, I think it's good to go:

G. Engine

1. Alternate engines may be used, given that if the manufacturer of the vehicle and engine are the same (e.g., an Acura
engine installed into a Honda car) and was available in a car delivered in North America. The chosen engine must
retain its original cylinder head and intake manifold. If an engine from a front wheel drive vehicle is installed in a rear
wheel drive vehicle, alternate OEM intake manifolds may be considered.

lateapex911
10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I guess the market has been good to Ben!
Those changes won't come cheap, buddy, and i'm not talking about money. The incidentals and weird failures are the gotchas....and don't forget, it's not just the motor.

dj10
10-26-2010, 06:30 PM
The progression for the 968 is to move into STU at some point 2-3 seasons out. The class is too cool - allows all kinds of fun ways to tweak the car. But regarding motor - throwing the 2.5 turbo in there might do me much better on weight and is a cheaper motor to build than converting a 3.0 into a turbo.

A STU 2.5 turbo would allow me to run the car at 2770 lbs with a 37mm restrictor. I could get some serious power to the wheels in that config :-)

With my 3.0 N/A motor I have to run at 3300 or 3055 in ITR trim...

This all assumes I'm allowed to put a 2.5 turbo in a 968 - didn't come from the factory that way...

Based on this, I think it's good to go:

G

. Engine

1. Alternate engines may be used, given that

if the manufacturer of the vehicle and engine are the same (e.g., an Acura

engine installed into a Honda car)

and was available in a car delivered in North America. The chosen engine must

retain its original cylinder head and intake manifold. If an engine from a front wheel drive vehicle is installed in a rear
wheel drive vehicle, alternate OEM intake manifolds may be considered.

Ben I think you're going to have to spend tons of money to make the 2.5 T competitive with a 37mm SIR. Not only to then engine but to the suspension also since the rules allow more. I don't think this is anything wrong with your car and where you are at right now in ITR.

A.J
10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
power to weight, guys what about aero stuff u r allowed, the bigger brakes, moving the suspension points,adjustable remote resouvior shocks, get these mods working together n u'll b supprise, the hp they add,

anthony1k
10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
OK - since I ran STU this weekend and was wondering - how well would a 944 turbo fare in that class? Or, could I throw a 2.5 turbo in the 968? Just curious...

Based on my limited experience I think the 944T has the potential of doing very well in STU. Even with the inlet restrictor the motor could reliably reach 250 RWHP without touching internals.

dj10
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
power to weight, guys what about aero stuff u r allowed, the bigger brakes, moving the suspension points,adjustable remote resouvior shocks, get these mods working together n u'll b supprise, the hp they add,

My point exactly. To do all this will cost you how much? Bunches, and if you don't do this you will be sucking hind tit. :)

benspeed
10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I like ITR a ton, but STU is just way more of a full blown race car - sure it'll cost money but that's the same in every class. The faster you go, the more you spend.

Since I really like the 968, STU gives me a development path that is more attractive that Production or GT.

Greg Amy
10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Far be it from me to dissuade you from your goals, Ben (changing hourly as they may be) but I seem to recall this was the same basis for your not-to-long-ago tube-frame-car adventure...?

Just making sure you're not going too far off the reservation again. - GA

dj10
10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.bondurant.com/images/logo.gif (http://www.bondurant.com/high_performance_driving_school/index.php)
Get more HP from your right foot!

Doc Bro
10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.bondurant.com/images/logo.gif (http://www.bondurant.com/high_performance_driving_school/index.php)
Get more HP from your right foot!

Been there done that.....worth every penny!!

R

callard
11-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Been there done that.....worth every penny!!

R
Hey Rob,
I guess I need to send you a bill for the High Performance Driving Tips you got at Summit! :eclipsee_steering: :D

Chuck