PDA

View Full Version : Halon Recharging

backformore
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any suggestions, preferably first hand experience, with getting the halon bottle from a fire system recharged.

Thanks
Rory

PS I did a search but it did not yield any results.

Chip42
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.firebottleracing.com/contact.html
Firebottle. they should be able to do it. fialing that, ask your IT guys at work who does the fire system in their server room. chances are they have a halon system.

DoubleXL240Z
10-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Check ALL shipping costs before you do it. Many times it is within a few dollars of just buying a new bottle and only having to pay shipping one way. Or buying a new one local from a speed shop or at the track and saving on shipping! Its considered hazmat, so shipping is crazy!

1stGenBoy
10-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Anyone have any suggestions, preferably first hand experience, with getting the halon bottle from a fire system recharged.

Thanks
Rory

PS I did a search but it did not yield any results.

The other posts are correct but there are many factors that decide if it can be refilled if at all. What type of halon? 1211 or 1301 and what brand bottle is it? Also does the bottle have a "DOT" stamp in it? Call if you have questions and I can walk you through it. We do this every day.

Bob Clark
262-317-1225
Former ITAC member
#76 ITB 86 Honda CRX SI
#76 GTL 89 Honda CRX SI

TomL
10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Try checking with a local commercial fire protection company. They do halon refills for fire systems in restaurants, etc. The last time I needed a refill, it cost only about $100 for 5 pound bottle, including replacing the puncture disc on the actuator. That was a few years ago, so I suspect halon prices have gone up a fair amount. However, I'd bet it's still cheaper than going to the manufacturer (or buying a new system) and doesn't involve shipping.

jay05
10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Try checking with a local commercial fire protection company. They do halon refills for fire systems in restaurants, etc. The last time I needed a refill, it cost only about $100 for 5 pound bottle, including replacing the puncture disc on the actuator. That was a few years ago, so I suspect halon prices have gone up a fair amount. However, I'd bet it's still cheaper than going to the manufacturer (or buying a new system) and doesn't involve shipping.
+1