PDA

View Full Version : Shifter upgrade and/or short shifter advice needed.

worthyking
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I just acquired a 2nd gen (90) Acura Integra ITA car and am not happy with the length of the throw on the shifter. It also is a bit mushy and not difficult to mis-shift every now and then.

Looking for advice from Integra drivers on the best setup for the shifter.

In my Neon I installed a Maddog STS which was unbelievably tight and included a rod-brake to protect against those frequent adrenline-fueled shifts. The best $100 I ever spent on that car honestly. I would love to find something similar for the Teg.

Knestis
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Short (pardon the pun) answer is that short shifters are not allowed in IT. Keep the stock parts healthy and if you want, modify the lever - but that's it.

K

Greg Amy
10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Yup. Short shifters aren't legal in Improved Touring...

R2 Racing
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Do you know the condition of the shifter bushings? The OEM rubber shifter bushings can get pretty sloppy. There's really nothing you can do within the rules to change the length of the throw, but at least you can firm it up and make it a little more precise.

GKR_17
10-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Do you know the condition of the shifter bushings? The OEM rubber shifter bushings can get pretty sloppy. There's really nothing you can do within the rules to change the length of the throw, but at least you can firm it up and make it a little more precise.

Shifter bushings must be stock too.

worthyking
10-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Hold on, I've seen many guys in ITA Neons using Booger Bushings on the shifter linkage.

RSTPerformance
10-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Hold on, I've seen many guys in ITA Neons using Booger Bushings on the shifter linkage.

Yup... And it is not legal!!!

Raymond

lateapex911
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Hold on, I've seen many guys in ITA Neons using stuff you shouldn't

Seeing it used, modified or done doesn't make a lot of things we see legal.

gran racing
10-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Kevin merely asked if the owner knew the condition of the bushings. My OEM ones will be replaced this winter if Honda still produces them.

worthyking
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Very enlightening. Thanks for all the input guys.

shwah
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Yup. I replace all the stock bushings 1 or 2 times a year in my car.

Not costly for me, but annoying. Maybe costly for others.

I have considered asking for alternate bushings, but figured it would not fly.

I feel the same about brake caliper slides/bushings. Would be nice to be able to improve, but probably won't happen.

Gary L
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Bushings? In a shifter? What in Hell for? :D

Knestis
10-12-2010, 10:37 PM
That's awesome as heck, Gary!

JLawton
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Another area to look at is the shifter itself. Don't know how the Honda products work but I have lots of plastic in my shifter. It wears and becomes loose along with a spring that's in there. None of the parts are replaceable (hey, it's a Saturn!) so I have to get a new shifter. I also have cables. The ends can also get loose. And check for binding.

Also check to make sure your clutch fully disengages when the pedal is pushed down. When my master cylinder starts to go the first symptom is that the clutch has to be pushed ALL THE WAY to the floor. As racers it's not something we think about in the heat of battle. Your timing has to be perfect in that situation.

There may not be one solution to the problem but once you've done everything everyone has mentioned I'm sure it will be much better.