PDA

View Full Version : SIC results

Charles Perry
10-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Ok guys, I did not make it, tell me what happened!!!

Ron Earp
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know what happened either. I got a couple of text messages from Jeff M. pre-race, but beyond that no other first hand info. I don't think all that many ITS regulars were at the event as many have laid up cars or couldn't attend for family reasons. A light field compared to previous years. Brown board has no information either.

I sure would like it if the SIC would move back to early September. October is a busy month in the SE - SIC, Goblins Go, 13 Hour, and the ARRC all within five weeks. That sorta stinks.

R

quadzjr
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I was there but packed up during luch as we had an early run group (ITB in group 3). form what I have heard Steve E. was right behind Andrew untill he had fiberglass packing in his exhaust melted and blocked it.

TomL
10-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Well, I had a longer post than disappeared into the ether, so I'll try a short version. The field may have been a little light, but the racing was outstanding. Kip Van Steenberg won ITR, about four seconds up on pack which included Andrew Charbonneau (Miata and ITS winner), Mike Van Steenberg (Miata and ITA winner) and Rickey Thompson (Z3, 2nd ITR). Rickey may have been done in by a mid-race yellow for a Miata parked on the outside edge of Turn 1 with a broken rear suspension. Steve Eckerich was close by, but blew a huge hole in his muffler and had to retire. The next ITS pack was another 15 seconds back, with Chuck Hines edging Jason Owenby and Russ Boatwright, Jr. by less than a second. Chuck Baader was next (2nd ITA) followed by Jeff McCandless (5th ITS) and Neal Harrison (3rd ITA). Correction - Willie Phee nosed out Neal Harrison for third in ITA.

I got to a good look at the IT7 race (unfortunately from the behind). Gary Wilson lead early, but got jumped by Steve Saney at the restart. Shaun Hines got balked by an ITA car and gave Neil Gueldner and me hope. However, he took off and ran down the leaders with the group finishing all within a second.

Paul Ronie lead the whole way to win ITB over Steve Strickland, Michael Ulbrik and Josh Baldwin. Will Perry passed Louis Boustani late to win ITC with Kelly Atkins third.

Lots of good racing in the other groups as well. You need to be there next year and join in the fun!

Parrish57
10-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Race results on mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1724464&perclass=0

Aged racer
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I didn't have much for Paul, he never put a foot wrong. I stayed in touch for 5 or 6 laps, but started sliding back as things got hot. Mike and Josh apparently had a great race a little farther back.

ITC was a super duel the whole way. Will Perry and Louis eventually got close enough towards the end that I waved 'em by so they could duke it out. Louis told me in impound that his car stumbled with a fuel pickup issue on the last turn of the last lap and Will got by him.

Kind of a light crowd, but good racing. We lost one ITB entry in the previous day's ECR, when John Wilkins had bad off in his 320i. Crew said he was OK, but the car was pretty banged up.

The old SSC Protege is enjoying a second life in ITB, something to look forward to next year.

Steve

quadzjr
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Luckily the protege didn't end the same way the 320i did. The had a good race, and with some development and testing the car can only get faster. Watching you, you are are a smooth driver and hit your marks. Well except that one time :D

Aged racer
10-13-2010, 08:24 PM
+1, got lucky there. :rolleyes: Will be easier to clean up the car than the drivers suit...

Steve

Mark Gray
10-15-2010, 07:57 PM
We sure missed you guys at the SIC!!!
Jeff McCandless qualified just ahead of me with 2 ITA cars between us...
He drove a great race and I could never catch him! The double yellow slowed us all down for what seemed like an eternity!

Charles, Ron, Jeff Y.: We sure missed having some fun diceing like we did back in the spring...

Hope to see you guys all back on the track next spring!

Is anyone going to the ARRC???

SPiFF
10-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I am going to the ARRC. WTH are the rest if the ITS guys?!?!

Ron Earp
10-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Come on fellows, get some SIC vids up!!! I want to see how things shook out.

I missed being at the race(s). But ITS guys are still here and 2011 is poised to be quite a strong year for the class. Two new ITS racers are joining us; Byran Parrish in a 2nd gen RX7 and Ed Palombo in a 260Z. I think both are going to be great additions to the class and tough competitors.

I have been out of racing for the last couple of months due to some family obligations and Jeff has been in sort of the same boat with work duties. We're both planning on Goblins Go at VIR and a strong 2011 though.

I'll be out of the ARRC though pending a possible seat in the 13 hour. Not sure on the rest of the guys. Missing hanging out at the track and seeing all you guys but hopefully 2011 will be a lot of fun.

JeffYoung
10-15-2010, 10:56 PM
12 S cars signed up for Goblins Go. Some new faces, and some old ones coming back (Rex Deffenbaugh!).

Good sign for car counts. That's 12 S cars without Steve E., Kent, Zsolt, David Spillman, Mike Mackaman -- lots of regulars "out." If those guys showed up, we'd have 15 cars at Goblins easy which is 2-3 times what we usually get.

SPiFF
10-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Sux that the goblins has to compete with the ARRC. I would love to see the all the S crew together at one race at the end of the year.

Come to the ARRC!!! :D

tnord
10-16-2010, 10:34 AM
it'd be great of if some of the goblins crowd would come to the ARRC, since i'll be in the A race this year i'd like to be able to watch a good S race. :D

any reason you guys are choosing goblins over the ARRC, is it just a proximity issue?

JeffYoung
10-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Same reason every year actually.

Our regional championship race is the first or second week in October.

Goblins is then the next to last week in October. It's a VIR, a great track that doesn't eat cars, and is about 1:30 from my door.

Most the local S guys I run with go to Goblins, the weather is cool, the track fast and it is always a great event.

The weekend after is the 13 hour, which consumes a shit load of time and money.

So, by the time the ARRC rolls around, I've raced 3 out of the previous 4 weeks, am tired, broke and don't want to touch a race car.

I wish the scheudle wasn't this way, and every year we say we are going to focus on the ARRC, and then an opportunity to do the 13 hour comes up and we don't go to the ARRC.

Ron Earp
10-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Same reason every year actually.

Our regional championship race is the first or second week in October.

Goblins is then the next to last week in October. It's a VIR, a great track that doesn't eat cars, and is about 1:30 from my door.

Most the local S guys I run with go to Goblins, the weather is cool, the track fast and it is always a great event.

The weekend after is the 13 hour, which consumes a shit load of time and money.

A few years ago the schedule was better. The SIC was in September, where there are no other racers in the SE region. So, you could go to the SIC, do family Fall things until GG, 13 Hour, and/or the ARRC.

Having F\four major events in five weekends is poor planning. SIC, skip one week, Goblin's Go, 13 Hour, and the ARRC. Not a good lineup for the average racer with a family.

Charles Perry
10-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I should get my motor back next week but I have to work so no Goblins this year. I will try to run a full schedule next year. Can't wait.

Cobrar05
10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
i try to use goblins as a tune up for the ARRC. goblins has two 90 minute enduros along with the sarrc race. it may be the best track time per dollar value of the year.

the arrc is my favorite race weekend of the year.

titanium
10-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I did not attend the SIC, but according to the SARRC website, I ended up 3rd (tie) in season points in my class.
Do I get a trophy?:smilie_pokal:

TomL
10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Sorry, Rodney. You have to attend three events to qualify.

Mike Mackaman
10-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I am sorry to say that I am in Shelby today, not at VIR. The car is structurally sound after the uphill esses shunt last year, made my own frame straightening rack! I still need to change the tranny that caused the wreck, and fix a leaking oil pan gasket, then hang new sheet metal. Unfortunately I am in the midst of a divorce. Spending a pile on a race is probably not a wise move. Also, my head is not where it needs to be to prepare a car, nor drive a car. I have the attention span of a gnat!

Next year for sure! Just have to talk to Toni about a waiver!

Mike