PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer recommendations?

lateapex911
09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
So, in my attempt to install the waited for all summer and just arrived engine parts to rebuild my motor in time for the NARRC Runoffs, I have discovered my micrometer can't decide on measurements. Take 'em twice, viola! Two different readings. Three tries=three readings. So, I've decided to chill and wave the white flag...and get another micrometer.

Recommendations?
I'd rather not spend hundreds and hundreds on a tool I use rather infrequently, but, I do want something that will be accurate and repeatable.

Also, the good book calls for measuring the side plates with a straight edge. I've used real straightedges before, I I know they aint cheap. Any ideas on a source that won't break the bank? Is buying used a folly in this case?

quadzjr
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
mitutoyo. You can find them on ebay for decent deals, and they are very repetable and accurate to something like 0.00005" or 0.001mm

rsportvolvo
09-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Mitutoyo is the industry standard right now. Depending on the range you need I would consider Brown & Sharp and Starrett. I steer clear of the Chinese micrometers as I don't want to buy them regularly.

I got a nice Starrett straight-edge from Enco Tools for @ $60. Starrett doesn't have the best micrometers, indicators, and calipers, but their other tools are probably the best.

quadzjr
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
My father when he was a machinist in the 80's used starretts. However both tose and the Brown and Sharps are a bit more pricy.

JohnRW
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Abrasive Tool (that's a company name...I'm not name-calling...for now...). Big on-hand inventory of stuff.

http://www.atcsales.com/

...or maybe ENCO

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

Sandro
09-29-2010, 08:38 PM
mitutoyo

if your trying to buy cheap, rather buy a used mitutoyo than a new made in china piece of junk

seckerich
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Starrett or Mitutoyo used on ebay if needed. I have 30 year old starretts that are still perfect at calibration time. I would suggest you not rely on a straight edge to check your plates as you really can not get down into the deeper wear areas from the side seals. Use a dial indicator and stand if you can borrow one. Or take a road trip and we can resurface them in a day to .0001 flatness.:D

Flyinglizard
10-03-2010, 10:42 PM
JW, I thought that you only called me that...
Maybe it was big tool, or fool. Later. MM