PDA

View Full Version : Clutch hose

monsterbronco
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Ok, stupid question time. I just want to confirm things.

I can find anywhere in the GCR discussing Clutch lines. So that would lead me to believe i am not able to use a braided line. Am i correct in this?

Thanks

Chip42
09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't see the allowance either.

that is stupid. this should certainly mix with the "class philosophy."

go to crbscca.com and let'm know they left that out.

joeg
09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
If I had that issue, I would argue the line is "Hardware" and performing a "fastening" function--clamping the clutch to the flywheel under power.

Toungue in Cheek!!

tom91ita
09-28-2010, 09:58 PM
i don't think hydraulic clutch actuators were being used when the rule set was written.

essentially every other hose can be replaced so i would think this should be as well.

but, what exactly, is the performance advantage with this? seems like more bother than it is worth.

Dano77
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
When we replaced ours,there was no advantage other than the duct tape wrapped around the 27 year old clutch line wasn't there anymore. We had an old set of brake lines and they were the same fitting sizes. Worked at 12am the day we were loading on the trailer to race in group 1 that morning.

Just do it.
Dan

titanium
09-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Step 1: Take a piece of heat-shrink tube and slide it over the braided-steel line.
Step 2: Heat the tubing to shrink it onto the line.
Step 3: You now have a braided-steel line that looks like a rubber one.

monsterbronco
09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I am not trying to do it from a performance perspective. I am trying to find a replacement clutch line. And finding a stock rubber one is proving difficult. The ones i have found are double the cost of a braided one.

I was just looking for some input on the rules before buying a replacement line.

Thanks

mbuskuhl
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
And finding a stock rubber one is proving difficult. The ones i have found are double the cost of a braided one.

The braided line from Mazdatrix is $18. The OEM line is $14.81 from Mazdaspeed PN F044-41-380B

Cost nor availability of either line should be an issue. As to braided legality? I don't know but braided would definitely give you a better line.

monsterbronco
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks Mark, I havent been able to find the part number from Mazda for the non braided line.