PDA

View Full Version : Race shoes: hi-top, mid-top or low top?

rsportvolvo
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm looking at the different styles of race shoes and I'm curious as to what most folks use: hi-tops, mid-tops, or low tops. The hi-top styles offer the most ankle support and protection, but seem to limit ankle rolling for heel-toeing (required for the pedal arrangement on my car). Protection decreases with the reduction in support as mobility increases. Anyone have issues heel-toeing with hi-tops or prefer mid-tops over hi-tops?

Knestis
09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
My last pair were truly high, my current ones are mid, and I've had no problem with either, FWIW.

K

Russ Myers
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I still prefer my leather loafers. Lightweight, comfortable, and fire resistant. Since I don't spend a whole lot of time on my feet in the car, ankle support isn't much of a concern.

Russ

rsportvolvo
09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
The ankle support is more for protection in the event of fire and/or crash. Not really for support during normal use.

Russ Myers
09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Just being funny, no offense intended, but we sedan type drivers from a way back always thought funny driving shoes were fur twitty little formula car types. Used to race with Richard Petty or Cale Yarborough cowboy boots.

Russ

rsportvolvo
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
My last pair were truly high, my current ones are mid, and I've had no problem with either, FWIW.

K

Any particular reason for the switch in styles?

Streetwise guy
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I've never had any trouble heel and toeing with my high tops, and I like to tuck the elastic on my suit into the top of the shoes to keep the legs from riding up.

RedMisted
09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Tried hi-tops, hated them as I couldn't roll the ankle for easy heel/toe. Now use mid-top Pilotis.
I personally can't stand those ballerina things... Why not also accessorize with a tutu??? :D

JLawton
09-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I have no problem with my high tops but I do more of a "twist and stab" instead of a roll.

RacerBill
09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I have always used mid-tops. The wide leather straps on the top keep the laces covered so that they cannot get caught on anything if I need to exit the vehicle in a hurry. No problem with heel-n-toe.

bbshriver
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I got mid-top Crow shoes with the velcro at top too, I also like to hide the laces behind. Not a huge deal, but one less thing to snag.

I'm liking this cowboy boot idea though!