PDA

View Full Version : need weber carb help

BILL
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm changing the carb on my 1982 ITB mustang,is the weber 32/36 dgv carb the proper one to use?

RacerBill
09-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Bill: What carb are you replacing?

BILL
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I think it is the original holley/ weber, the 32/26 weber seems backwards to the original.

billf
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Bill,
The Weber is backwards. There are five areas of differences: 1. The primary/secondary bores are reversed, see 4. 2. The fuel entry point is on the wrong side (inside), toward engine. 3. Because of the bores being reversed, the primary is actuated from the wroing direction. 4. The wider spacing of the bores of the Weber does not line up with the original EGR plate, which has two distinct holes in it. No. 5 difference is the dis-similar air cleaner/choke housing sizes.

Solutions: 1. It is what it is (see 4). 2. Drill the tower for 1/4NP on the outside, and plug the inside hole with a 1/4NP plug. 3. You must butcher brackets, or fabricate new pieces to actuate the primary shaft. You might have to use a motorcycle cable which is longer. 4. You can get a 1in spacer from speed houses like Summit, which were made for the Holley 350CFM two barrel carb. Massage it to fit the bores. The spacer is drilled for the Holley pattern, which is the one on the manifold. You will have to drill and tap the plate for the Weber pattern. Use the original metric studs from the EGR plate. 5. You need to fabricate a bottom plate for the air cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Good racing

Bill:024:

BILL
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks Bill,would I be better to get a DFEV instead?

billf
09-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, Bill. I looked up the DFEV since I have no experience with it, only the DGV. Technical description specifically states it is reversed from the DGV, and the picture I have shows the fuel inlet to be on the correct side for your engine. Incidentally, the "E" in DFEV indicates the carb has an electric choke. "V" would indicate a water choke (DFAV).

If you can find one for a reasonable price, it would seem to solve a few of the installation problems I outlined earlier. Remaining is the alignment of the throttle bores to the EGR plate, and the air cleaner fitment...neither is difficult to do.

As I had written to you earlier, the 5200, and the DGV series are sensitive to low air cleaner covers, as they interfere with movement of air over the vertical edge of the choke horn. Advice is to build the air cleaner with the highest cover possible, to minimize this problem.

Remember to modify the fuel inlet tube per GCR rules.

Good racing.

Bill:024:

BILL
09-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks Bill